Did You Know...

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 05:18 pm
Letty wrote:
Did you know that Virginia has passed a slavery apology? Along with it, RJB, another apology for the exploitation of the American Indians.

Did you know, Letty, that this has been thrashed about in the state legislature for at least a decade. The problem has always been in the wording. An "apology" means that you acknowledge you did something wrong. If you did something wrong, you are obligated to make the victims whole by giving them, for example, money. Who to, and how much?

This thing today expresses "regret" about slavery and the treatment of American Indians. There is, evidentally, a difference between a regret and an apology.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 05:42 pm
Did you know, Virginia John, that you can't trust Yahoo? Their links have turned from black to blue. (no pun intended). Probably been listening to Tony Blair. Razz
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 11:54 am
I know that I may have come across as being cynical about the unanimous approval by the House and Senate of the state of Virginia expressing regret over having embraced slavery and the treatment of native Americans in the course of our 400 year history. I commend the legislator who drafted this resolution that got approved on Saturday. And I commend the 80 year old delegate who, just a month ago said "Slavery? Just get over it" for having the decency to vote for the resolution.
It is a step, a very small symbolic step forward. and I am proud that my state of Virginia took it.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 02:51 pm
Did you know that the Virginia colony, during most of the 17th century, was the only colony where former slaves (manumitted or otherwise freed) could own property and vote in local elections? In wasn't until later, when the practice of slavery had become established throughout most of the 13 colonies, that basic rights were denied to persons of African descent and granted only to those of European descent? Robert E. Lee, a Virginian and commander of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia during the Civil War, had manumitted his slaves as soon as he came into his inheritance. He was against the practice of slavery. The whole history of slavery in Virginia is a fascinating subject.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 03:18 pm
Did you know that our eyes are the same size from birth while our nose and ears continues to grow?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 03:24 pm
I know that my ears have grown a lot. I have very large ears, Like my father.
Nose? I don't think it has grown. Unlike a certain politician whose nose gets longer every time (stop it, johnboy).
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 04:29 pm
Did you know that America was just one vote away from taking german as official language instead of english?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 04:35 pm
Did you know, bigdice, that quoting an urban legend doesn't make it true?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 04:35 pm
I didn't know that, bd. Did you know that Fleming developed penicillin from mold and that digitalis is from deadly fox glove?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:10 pm
Did you know words such as month, orange, silver and purple doesn't have a rhyme word in English?
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 10:21 pm
So far you guys aren't telling me anything I didn't already know. Try harder please.

Didja know that there is only one word in the English language which ends with the letters -mt? Anyone know what that word is?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 12:27 am
No, but syzygy is the shortest English word containing three y's .... the second longest without vocal (longest would be rhythms) amd MY personal favourite.

But just after 0.11 seconds of google search I certainly found dreamt as the answer .... and remembered that such was told me more than 45 years ago in school already :wink:

But did you know that Brandenburg (which later became Prussia) had a colony in Africa from 1682 until 1717?
And that with some changes Venezuela could have become a German colony in mid-16th century?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 04:19 am
I didn't know that, Walter. Did you know there is only one word in the English language that has no vowels?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 06:04 am
No - besides you mean such imitating sounds (like 'brr, 'grr', 'hmm'
'psst', 'sh').
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 06:07 am
Not onomatopoeias, Walter. The word is rhythm. (forget the "sometimes Y" thing) :wink:
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 09:45 am
Did you know that in norwegian "Y" is always a vowel. Also, we have three more letters in the alphabet than english.

The letters are Æ Ø Å. (If your scripts do not support these symbols, the first one is and A and an E meshed together, pronounced like the A in animal, the second an O with a / through it, pronounced like the I in "bird", and the last an A with a circle on top, pronounced like the O in "top".)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 06:22 pm
No, I didn't know that Cyracuz. Like all things here, and perhaps more so in this case, it could be a bit difficult to work into casual conversation.

One of my employees asked me this morning if I knew the origin of the phrase "standing on its (or his) last leg." He has a somewhat plausible theory, but I did a cursory Google search and didn't find much. Any ideas?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 07:35 pm
Did you know that the Chicago River had its flow reversed in 1900 so as not to pollute Lake Michigan?

Did you know that the Sears Tower is so big it has its own zip code?
(insert yo momma joke here)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 07:46 pm
Um, Mike, what was the source of the polution? And for how long did the river run in the "wrong" direction?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 07:47 pm
Yo mama has one leg and a bicycle.
0 Replies