The Druze Arabs

littlek

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 11:51 pm
Fascinating!

Quote:
.....The Druze religion has its roots in Ismailism, a religio-philosophical movement which founded the Fatimid Caliphate in Egypt in the tenth century. During the reign of al-Hakim (996 - 1021) the Druze creed came into being, blending Islamic monotheism with Greek philosophy and Hindu influences. Active proselytizing of the new creed was brief; since about 1050 the community has been closed to outsiders.

The first Druze settled in what is now southern Lebanon and northern Israel. By the time of the Ottoman conquest of Syria (1516), Druze also lived in the hill country near Aleppo, and Sultan Selim I recognized Fakhr al-Din as Emir of the Druze, with local authority. Civil strife between the Lebanese Druze and the Maronite Christians ended in 1860 with the autonomous administration of Mt. Lebanon, which was imposed by the great powers.....

Beliefs and Traditions

The Druze consider their faith to be a new interpretation of the three monotheistic religions: Judaism, Christianity and Islam. For them, the traditional story of the Creation is a parable, which describes Adam not as the first human being, but as the first person to believe in one god. Since then, the idea of monotheism has been disseminated by "emissaries" or prophets, guided by "mentors" who embody the spirit of monotheism. The mentors and prophets come from all three religions, and include Jethro and Moses, John the Baptist and Jesus of Nazareth, and Salman the Persian and Mohammed - all reincarnations of the same monotheistic idea. In addition, the Druze hold other influential people - regardless of their religion - in great esteem, as the advocates of justice and belief in one god. These include the Egyptian Akhenaton, the Greek philosophers Socrates, Plato and Aristotle, and Alexander the Great.

Although the Druze recognize all three monotheistic religions, they believe that rituals and ceremonies have caused Jews, Christians, and Muslims to turn aside from "pure faith". They argue that individuals who believe that God will forgive them if they fast and pray, will commit transgressions in the expectation of being forgiven - and then repeat their sins. The Druze thus eliminated all elements of ritual and ceremony; there is no fixed daily liturgy, no defined holy days, and no pilgrimage obligations. The Druze perform their spiritual reckoning with God at all times, and consequently need no special days of fasting or atonement.

The Druze religion is secret and closed to converts. From the theological perspective, the secrecy derives from the tenet that the gates of the religion were open to new believers for the space of a generation when it was first revealed and everyone was invited to join. Since in their belief everyone alive today is the reincarnation of someone who lived at that time, there is no reason to allow them to join today. Therefore, the Druze refrain from missionizing, and no member of another religion can become Druze.

Druze religious books are accessible only to the initiates, the uqqal ("knowers"). The juhal ("ignorant ones") accept the faith on the basis of the tradition handed down from generation to generation.

Tenets and Precepts

The Druze religion has no ceremonies or rituals, and no obligation to perform precepts in public. The main tenets that obligate all Druze, both uqqal and juhal, are:

Speaking the truth (instead of prayer)
Supporting your brethren (instead of charity)
Abandoning the old creeds (instead of fasting)
Purification from heresy (instead of pilgrimage)
Accepting the unity of God
Submitting to the will of God (instead of holy war)
Jewish Virtual Library
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,417 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 04:54 am
bm
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 12:29 am
Facinating indeed.

But if everyone that lives today is a reincarnation of someone who lived then, how do they explain the fact that there are many more people in the world today that there has ever been before?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 08:08 am
Re: The Druze Arabs
littlek wrote:
Fascinating!

Quote:
The Druze religion is secret and closed to converts. From the theological perspective, the secrecy derives from the tenet that the gates of the religion were open to new believers for the space of a generation when it was first revealed and everyone was invited to join. Since in their belief everyone alive today is the reincarnation of someone who lived at that time, there is no reason to allow them to join today. Therefore, the Druze refrain from missionizing, and no member of another religion can become Druze.

It's gonna have trouble catching on if it's secret and nobody can join. Sounds like surefire extinction. Oh well, nice while it lasted...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 01:14 pm
Quote:
The Druze perform their spiritual reckoning with God at all times, and consequently need no special days of fasting or atonement.

Very interesting notion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 02:26 pm
There are Druze in both Palestine and in the Lebanon. Those in Palestine have long allied themselves to the Israelis, and are therefore widely despised in the Muslim world. Whether in Palestine or in the Lebanon, Muslims usually deny that the Druze actually are Muslims.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 02:43 pm
Re: The Druze Arabs
rosborne979 wrote:
littlek wrote:
Fascinating!

Quote:

It's gonna have trouble catching on if it's secret and nobody can join. Sounds like surefire extinction. Oh well, nice while it lasted...

According to littlek's link, there are about a million practicing. I wonder how much genetic diversity they have.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 07:50 pm
Cyracuse, the Druze of today are the decendents of the original Druze (that first generation). Dunno about genetic diversity.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 08:49 pm
Setanta wrote:
There are Druze in both Palestine and in the Lebanon. Those in Palestine have long allied themselves to the Israelis, and are therefore widely despised in the Muslim world. Whether in Palestine or in the Lebanon, Muslims usually deny that the Druze actually are Muslims.

Religion isn't a game where a person can follow their own whims and desires on how they want to get closer to God, God determines the rules - not his Prophets or anyone who else for that matter. You either submit completely to God's will (Islam) or not.

The Prophet (Peace and salutations be upon him): "Every innovation (in religion) is misguidance, and every misguidance is in Hellfire."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 09:37 pm
We've different backgrounds, of course, Raul. Your's happens to be Islam; mine is athiest in a more or less Christian world. This time, however; we're quite in agreement. I have often wondered about Christians shopping around to find the church that happens to suit their particular beliefs. God, if there is a god, does indeed make the rules, and if you are a believer, it would be best to find out what those rules are.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 06:33 am
A great deal of personal theology in the States comes from our Do-It-Yourself mentality.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 10:33 pm
roger wrote:
We've different backgrounds, of course, Raul. Your's happens to be Islam; mine is athiest in a more or less Christian world. This time, however; we're quite in agreement. I have often wondered about Christians shopping around to find the church that happens to suit their particular beliefs. God, if there is a god, does indeed make the rules, and if you are a believer, it would be best to find out what those rules are.

Thanks. At least we agree on something. Smile
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 09:24 am
Setanta wrote:
Whether in Palestine or in the Lebanon, Muslims usually deny that the Druze actually are Muslims.

From the description, it would appear that the Muslims are correct.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 05:57 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Whether in Palestine or in the Lebanon, Muslims usually deny that the Druze actually are Muslims.

From the description, it would appear that the Muslims are correct.

Kind of reminds you of the LDS. Despite their name, do most non-Mormons really consider the Mormons as Christian?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 12:33 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Kind of reminds you of the LDS. Despite their name, do most non-Mormons really consider the Mormons as Christian?

Well, I don't know much about the religious beliefs of the Mormons, but I would think that anyone who denies the divinity of Jesus Christ can't be a Christian, while anyone who denies the divine origin of the Koran or who does not follow the "five pillars of Islam" can't be a Muslim. On that basis, I think the Mormons are minimally qualified to be Christians, whereas the Druze (from what little I know about them) can't be considered Muslims.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 02:52 pm
Whereas i see the force of your arguments, Joe, i consider them ultimately nugatory, unless and until anyone is capable of proving that there is a deity and the he/she/it demands any particular dogmatic adherence to belief and practice from people. Otherwise, it's all about labelling. If the Mormons, or the Jehovah's Witnesses want to call themselves Christians, it is hard to dispute it unless and until you can prove that there is a deity who demands adherence in the belief of the divinity of the putuative Christ. As for the Druze, unless and until someone can demonstrate beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is a deity who demands adherence to the principles of either the Sunna version of Islam, or the Shi'ah version, i see no good reason to challenge their chosen label.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 07:50 pm
Setanta wrote:
Whereas i see the force of your arguments, Joe, i consider them ultimately nugatory, unless and until anyone is capable of proving that there is a deity and the he/she/it demands any particular dogmatic adherence to belief and practice from people. Otherwise, it's all about labelling. If the Mormons, or the Jehovah's Witnesses want to call themselves Christians, it is hard to dispute it unless and until you can prove that there is a deity who demands adherence in the belief of the divinity of the putuative Christ. As for the Druze, unless and until someone can demonstrate beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is a deity who demands adherence to the principles of either the Sunna version of Islam, or the Shi'ah version, i see no good reason to challenge their chosen label.

'Awf ibn Malik reported that the Prophet said: "The Jews split into
seventy-one sects: one will enter Paradise and seventy will enter Hell.
The Christians split into seventy-two sects: seventy-one will enter Hell
and one will enter Paradise. By Him in Whose hand is my soul, my Ummah will split into seventy-three sects: one will enter Paradise and
seventy-two will enter Hell." Someone asked, "O Messenger of Allah, who
will they be?" He replied, "The main body of the Muslims (al-Jama'ah)."

There you have it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 07:53 pm
No, what we have is a sterling example of self-deluded religious bigotry. Not that we needed the reminder.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 07:56 pm
Setanta wrote:
No, what we have is a sterling example of self-deluded religious bigotry. Not that we needed the reminder.

Call it whatever you want, but you do not make the rules on what type of people belong to which group - God does.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 08:06 pm
As i have no good reason to believe that your imaginary friend exists, i find that hilarious.

However, i wasn't saying that i get to "make the rules," i was pointing out that nobody gets to "make the rules." I'm not surprised, though, that you are puking up your typical religious bigotry.
0 Replies