Tech support on Able2Know is changing

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 06:20 pm
Technical support is a time consuming job, as this site has no paid staff we will be implementing some changes in order for us to keep up with the mounting support requests.

First of all we'd like to ask that the more technically adept and the more experienced users help out on this forum. This would be a great help to the site.

To better enable us to help everyone we ask that you follow the following rules when requesting support.

A) NO tech support is given by Private Messaging. The reason for this is that private messaging means that other members won't see the help request and won't be able to answer, even if they know the answer. The answer is also given only to one person and therefore deprives the rest of the membership of an answer if they have the same problem.

As it stands site staff get way too many PMs to answer. Starting from now on, tech support by PM will be discontinued altogether.

B) When your request is answered please edit your initial post and put [resolved] in the title. This allows the people giving tech support to move on to a new help request. If you forget to do so it is not a big deal, a moderator will add it for you allowing people to focus on what still needs an answer.

C) Please do not post your help request on an old topic. That is the easiest way to ensure that it is not answered. Use a new topic for your request.

This way those giving tech support do not have to keep track of old threads that have already been resolved.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,176 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 01:09 pm
Re: Tech support on Able2Know is changing
Craven de Kere wrote:
To better enable us to help everyone we ask that you follow the following rules when requesting support.

A) NO tech support is given by Private Messaging. The reason for this is that private messaging means that other members won't see the help request and won't be able to answer, even if they know the answer. The answer is also given only to one person and therefore deprives the rest of the membership of an answer if they have the same problem.

As it stands site staff get way too many PMs to answer. Starting from now on, tech support by PM will be discontinued altogether.

I just want to add to this that there will also not be any Tech Support via email to my private accounts, for the same reasons as given above. Thank you! :-D
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 01:11 pm
Can you post an example of an open question and a resolved question?
Thanks
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 01:14 pm
Resolved question: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9146

There are no open questions at this time that we're aware of.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 01:33 pm
IMHO
Looks like a lot to wade threw to find an answer???
Is there a more topical approach in support topics?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 02:03 pm
I'm going to look at a way of providing that Husker! Wink
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 02:09 pm
One thing that would help a great deal with locating previously answered topics would be the use of accurate and specific topic headings. This would enable people to open up the category, listing all the topic headers and make use of the Windows "Find" feature to locate the string of text pertinent to the problem they seek help with.

Perhaps, when the [solved] tag is added to the topic header, the header could also be edited to reflect the prominent words needed to use it as search feature.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 02:19 pm
Butrflynet- Good idea. People need to be very specific, so that anybody else can glance thru the resolved issues, and pick up on what they want quickly!
0 Replies