LOVATTS FEB BIG

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 01:08 am
Hi all,
Was wondering if someone could possibly give me the answers to 2 of the comps in the Feb Big.

Starhunt 1 page 16
&
Starhunt 9 page 58.
Thanks very much for you help, I just couldnt figure these 2 out!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,571 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 03:02 am
Hi Mrs. Greene

Page 16 = David McCallum

Haven't done page 58 yet, but will do it some time tonight and let you know.

Page 58 = Robert De Niro

Regards Dutchy
0 Replies

mrsgreen663

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 06:05 am
THanks heaps Dutchy. How on earth do you do the clueless one? Im usually pretty good at them, but cant even comprehend how to do the clueless one, any pointers?
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 06:41 am
Mostly trial and error mrsgreene Smile
I usually look for a word that has similar numbers (letters) in them and build on from there. In this particular one I spotted, 13-13-18-8-13, and started with e-e-18-8-e, not hard to make a word here. 'eerie' was very obvious. In combinations like that the vowels e and o are oiften used. Once I find what I believe is the correct word I cover all the words in the puzzle with the letters I've got and try to find other combinations. I also use a super word finder book which has 65.000 words in it, they range from two letters to ten letters words, comes in very handy from time to time. Above is my method, perhaps someone else uses a different approach, I'd be pleased if you would put it in print, so we all can learn something.

Dutchy.
0 Replies

tuesday

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 11:31 pm
Lovatts Feb Big
I do the clueless starhunts much the same as you Dutchy but I don't have a super word finder book, but I have thought of getting one. An erasable pen is also very handy. I enjoy the clueless one first as it's a favourite.
Regards Tuesday
0 Replies

mrsgreen663

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 11:34 pm
http://ull.chemistry.uakron.edu/jumble.html

Tuesday thats an online word finder and also an injumble site. You just put in the letters and it gives you all possible words, and if you click on it, it will take you to www.dictionary.com with the meaning. It helps me a lot with the stahunt ones, but only if I already have some letters to go off. Isnt good for words with S or ED on the end though. Hope that can be of some use to you.
0 Replies

tuesday

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 11:53 pm
Lovatts Feb Big
another good site is jumble.org/ does the same as the site you mentioned. also gives the word meanings. I also have 2 Franklin word finders, sometimes one will give me a word that the other doesn't, you also have to check the spelling as it can give you the american spelling.
Am looking for a really good thesaurus at the moment, any suggestions would be welcome
Regards Tuesday
0 Replies

mrsgreen663

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 11:58 pm
www.thesaurus.com

That is associated with www.dictionary.com, so one click of the button and it takes you from one to the other for the same word! It is american, but has both spelling and tells you which it is.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 04:17 am
mrsgreen & tuesday unfortunately you can't pm me (I think it takes 500 posts before you can use that medium) otherwise you could send me your e-mail adresses and I could send you a lot more information to assist you in completeing your queries. I don't want to advertise them all here. Smile
0 Replies

mrsgreen663

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 04:18 am
[email protected]
Thanks Dutchy Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 04:26 am
Will get back to you. Smile
0 Replies

tuesday

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 05:11 am
Lovatts Feb Big
[email protected]
much appreciated Dutchy
Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 05:33 am
Will get back to you as well Tuesday, there is more work involved then I anticipated.

Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

EscapePod

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 04:29 am
tuesday and mrsgreen663 thankyou also for those Hint Sites.
I am sure they will be extremely handy.

Dutchy, I would also appreciate any further information you can provide as well, if it is not putting you to any inconvenience.

[email protected]

Many thanks.
Regards
EscapePod
0 Replies

tigiie

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 05:02 am
And me too Dutchy

[email protected]

Many thanks

Tigiie
0 Replies

red door

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 03:29 am
Dutchy

Have just found this thread as I have not been on A2K for a while, was wondering if I could also get the above mentioned info forwarded to my
email address.
[email protected]
Many Thanks
reddoor
0 Replies

mrsgreen663

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 03:35 am
I hope you saved that extremely large email Dutchy Laughing
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 04:05 am
Hi Red Door & Mrs.Green

Have e-mailed requested information. Lucky I had saved your copy Mrs. Green. Smile

Regards Dutchy
0 Replies

Shekeda

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 08:49 am
Best word help program - free!
Several years ago I downloaded a little program to help with my Lovatts crosswords and starhunts. Since then, I've felt lost if using a computer that hasn't had it. It's called "WordFind".

Its most invaluable feature is the ability to indicate when the same (unknown) letter is used, by the use of a number.

For example, we might only know that 5 is a T and come across this:
5-9-23-9-9. Type into WordFind T1-11 (a dash = an unknown letter), telling it that each '1' is the same letter. Up comes the answer TEPEE.

I like to try to find which number the E is in each Starhunt. It's often quite easy to do as there are USUALLY around 20 (or more) in each puzzle and it's often the last or one-but-last letter in a word (as well as other places, of course). Sometimes the Lovatts people get crafty and include a Starhunt that hardly has any Es in it - but not very often!

Here's the webpage for the WordFind program:
WordFind
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 02:30 pm
Hi Shekeda

Thank you for that information. I use the following site which is similar but has far more possibilities. http://www.onelook.com/

You will get a lot of help from this site doing your Lovatts.

Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies