Humanity first--Science second

coberst

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 10:13 am
The scientific method has made MAN INTO A CIPHER. We had created a science that has become a Science; we have created a monster that can be spelled with a capital "S". Women and men served best when they were hidden, unobserved behind the tubes and belts. Newton's method demanded an observer who was inconspicuous and replaceable by a machine whenever possible. The laws governing the movement of the spheres where number one; humanity was the machine's servant.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 547 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 01:59 pm
Re: Humanity first--Science second
coberst wrote:
What are the greatest gifts for mankind, if not those that point the way to the maximization of liberation of human creative energies?

It's funny that you mention "liberation," because the scientific method is what compels us to accept claims as true pending falsification rather than accepting them as true by decree. Is there a better way to resist dogma (i.e. the advancing of certain "creative liberties" over others)? I can't think of one, but I'm open to ideas.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 04:36 pm
Shapless

The scientific method is very useful for determining matters of fact but it is virtually useless for determining matters of subjective morality. The problem I am trying to illuminate is how we have become enchanted with Science and thereby losing our human dignity in the process. We have placed Science on too high a pedestal.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 04:46 pm
coberst wrote:
The scientific method is very useful for determining matters of fact but it is virtually useless for determining matters of subjective morality.

No arguments there. But when you say, "We have placed Science on too high a pedestal," are you saying that we are using the scientific method to determine matters of subjective morality? This has not been my experience, but I would be interested in hearing more about this.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 08:00 am

Science accomplished its assigned task when women and men remained value neutral. An experiment was ruined if a human emotion or idea outside the scientific facts required was intentionally or unintentional inserted.

Newtonian science was a mathematical, quantified pattern capable of reducing reality to an atomic level. It's ideal, if there was one, was man as a machine or more likely a cog in a machine. In such a science we lose the individual man and woman. Rousseau was offering something entirely different. It was holistic and non-reducible. It was a gestalt that included man as neutral manipulator of scientific experiments but also as a subject with values who was a totally thinking, feeling, free agent.

"Rousseau showed that morality had to be instrumented, by man according to an ideal formulated by him; the science of man could only have meaning as an active ideal-type of science." Newtonian science left no room for such and ideal. It had no room for a holistic woman or man. The solution proposed by Rousseau was to make humanity first and science second; science was to be the servant of wo/man rather than wo/man as the servant of science.

The seventeenth century Enlightenment determined that knowledge should be controlled based upon the needs of humanity. The spirit of the age demanded a science of man that could run parallel with Newtonian science of objects. The judgment of this age was that mechanistic Science was morally unedifying. The Age of Enlightenment rediscovered the concept of alienation as it applied to women and men. Humanity became alienated from their nature by the Science of science. Subjects were deprived of their subjectivity in servitude to machines.

The Enlightenment gave us a science worthy of men and women, a subjective science, a science of human value and not a neutral science of machines. What are the greatest gifts for mankind, if not those that point the way to the maximization of liberation of human creative energies?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 07:08 pm
Science is just a fancy word for the study of truth. It is the realization of the innate curiosity of man. It is not "science vs humanity," because science is a part of humanity.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 06:11 am
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 09:30 am
It sounds like your point is that science exposes the unimportance of man in relation to the universe. Is that right?

Ok, is that a bad thing? It's just true. Would you prefer that we just remain blissfully ignorant of these things?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 12:35 pm
Stuh

My point is that most people expect far more from science than science can provide. Science has become an idol.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 07:46 am
Well it doesn't attempt to provide a philosophy for how to live your life, that's for sure..
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 10:43 am
Coberst, I doubt if any real scientist ever believed that humanity was the servant of some mythical "machine," even when the belief in a clockwork universe was prevalent.

But it would not surprise me if people who were taught that mankind was created to be the servant of a mythical God would transfer that belief to Science. Some people will believe anything.

Science gives us a whole lot more insight into the reality of human nature than religion. Understanding how instincts, biological urges, and emotions evolved along with the mental capacity to override them gives us the opportunity to logically determine what values can and should be adopted instead of relying on ancient tribal notions of what God demands of us.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 01:02 pm
coberst wrote:
most people expect far more from science than science can provide.

For example?
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 03:41 am
as a trained scientist all I can say is bunkum.

frankly, i don't think you know what you are talking about.

you miss the point, the economic harnessing of human logic, expressed culturally as "scientific method" is called technology. it is the latter which by human valuation that can diminish the human spirit. that is not "science," but purely an adaptive human attribute.

if you think that "science" enabled the nazis to kill six million jews with cyklon b then it was also "science" that let julius ceasar kill two million gauls two millinium before by building bridges across the rivers of western europe.

we are merely clever, tool using monkeys and if we worship a god it would be a good idea to bow down in adoration to the human thumb.

take this from a stroke victim, try not using one for even a single day and see what happens.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 03:41 pm
We see only what we are prepared to see. If we could comprehend our present circumstance we could create a far better society than we now have; a far better society that would be in tune with our present knowledge. The task is how to bring to light what is our present circumstance.

The nineteenth century enthroned a mechanistic science that dominated all venues of human existence. This was a mechanical and exceedingly efficient force that suppressed the human spirit while providing a substantial improvement in the basic animal needs of wo/man. Therein the paradox; we had developed a system that fed the belly and denied the spirit. This world was one of unabashed pursuit of private gain while birthing two major revolutions created by its disdain for the human need for dignity.

Is it possible to "have our cake and eat it too"? Ernest Becker proposes a well argued means whereby we can maintain a full stomach while nurturing a liberated human spirit.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 04:30 pm
Shapeless wrote:
coberst wrote:
most people expect far more from science than science can provide.

For example?

Our technology has placed us in the corner regarding global warming and instead of adjusting our wastful habits many are convinced that technology will sove the problem. Technology will solve all the problems created by technology. Another example is longevity. Technology will solve our problems created by medical technology that has created ever longer life spans.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 08:48 pm
The environmental conundrum is an interesting and appropriate one. The degree to which global warming is a result of human activity at all is still being debated, but it is undeniable that human activity can harm the environment. And I certainly know people who do not seem concerned about this, at least not concerned enough to modify their consumption habits. But I wonder: are they ignoring their consumption habits because they're assuming "technology" will clean up after them, as you are suggesting, or are they ignoring their consumption habits simply because they're not thinking about the environment at all? I don't doubt that there are people out there who have unrealistic expectations about what technology can accomplish, but it seems a little exaggerated to say that people are wasteful because they idolize science. I don't know that these conspiracy theories are entirely necessary in explaining consumption habits. It also doesn't seem all that difficult to "have it both ways," as you mentioned; it seems possible and reasonable to expect technological advances to help us fix environmental problems, without having to put complete and undying faith in technology.

Incidentally, this thread links up nicely with an essay I recently read, and which I posted here.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 10:27 pm
Technology doesn't solve problems.

People solve problems.

And then we refer to the way we solved it as technology...
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 08:55 am
0 Replies