How much good is good enough?

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 11:18 am

We can never be entirely good since we are human, thus mistake happy. Very mistake happy.

Very interesting question I saw years back from a christian writer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,917 • Replies: 68
No top replies

Raul-7

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 01:34 pm
As much as you are capable of, do not exceed - modesty is best; the most important thing is that they are sincere (from the heart); not just to a show of piety (ie. charity to show people you are generous or kind).

Allah's Apostle (Peace and salutations be upon him) said, "The deeds of anyone of you will not save you (from the (Hell) Fire)." They said, "Even you (will not be saved by your deeds), O Allah's Apostle?" He said, "No, even I (will not be saved) unless and until Allah bestows His Mercy on me. Therefore, do good deeds properly, sincerely and moderately, and worship Allah in the forenoon and in the afternoon and during a part of the night, and always adopt a middle, moderate, regular course whereby you will reach your target (Paradise)."
0 Replies

acepilot

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 07:27 pm
Did I make this question to easy or something?...
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 01:04 am
How good must you be to enter heaven and to go before Father God?

You must be without sin, without blemish, white as snow. Perfect!

Your good works are like filthy rags. For a human it is impossible to enter into heaven since all have sinned.
0 Replies

acepilot

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 01:26 am
I love sarcasim as much as the next guy......yet Confused
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 06:01 am
Hey bub - if you're going to go on the Spirituality and Religion forum, and start threads with vague, wide-open-to-personal-interpretation titles like "How much good is good enough?", you shouldn't then sit back and take snide potshots at everyone who attempts a reply.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 06:23 am
That's a good enough answer, snood, but did the others answer the question?

Be good enough to your fellow humans that when you yourself are in need they will be good to you.

I think I am paraphrasing somebody.

The good thing about not having an imaginary friend involved in this effort called life is you get immediate and concrete feedback.

Joe(At least when my friends go crazy, I can get new friends.)Nation
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 06:34 am
Ah yes - the question...

I try to be as "good" as I can, for reasons basically having to do with a belief in the concept of "what goes around..." As to whether it is "enough", I believe there will be judgement.

Did you answer the question, Joe?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 06:48 am
That's the difference, and yes, I answered the question, the difference is--- I don't care if there will be judgement.

What I do now is what is the essence of living and I don't act wondering if there will be some kind of cosmic payback or some hoogie-woogie is going to let me share eternity blah blah.

I share this existence with you without any need for anything beyond it.
My actions aren't based on anything other than what's here. If I were to act out of some need to please some supernatural being those acts would be less worthy of humanity's gratitude and love, not more.

Joe(why let a god get in the way of being good?)Nation
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 06:58 am
Yeah, I know you don't believe in God, Joe.

But just by the way, I think your insistence on referring to someone's God as their "imaginary friend" is derisive.

If something is obviously important to someone (whether you think it exists or not) like, say for instance someone believes they are good-looking, and that belief buoys them, and helps them do their days better. If you, in conversation with them referred to it as "their imaginary good looks", that would be insulting and obviously so.

Does your doing good to others include extending the small respect of not suggesting they're delusional about something very important to them?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 07:53 am
Quote:
Does your doing good to others include extending the small respect of not suggesting they're delusional about something very important to them?

Nope.
Imagination is funny, it makes a cloudy day sunny, but, guess what?

It's still cloudy.

And just which delusions deserve respect? All of them?
Only the Western Civilization determined ones?
Just the ones in select theatres?
Can we respect the belief that leprechauns inhabit the hills of Kerry?
Is it true that we are directed by our stars? The Moon? Angels?
What is the cutoff age for allowing the belief in the Tooth Fairy? Never?

Who is less delusional? George W. Bush who believes that Jesus Christ is the Lord of the Universe or Osama bin Laden who holds fast to the pillars of Islam and the One True God. Are both worthy of equal, though small, respect from me?

If someone believed that they always had to tap their forehead three times before answering any question, we would recommend some kind of therapy to them even if they held that belief more strongly than any other. Why?

Maybe we wouldn't. The belief isn't harmful to them or us. Suppose their belief changed and they began to believe if we didn't tap our foreheads three times before answering a question we would be worthy of death?

Now answer the question about George and Osama.

Joe(infidel and sinner)Nation
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 11:02 am
It seems whenever I call an agnostic or atheist on being rude to a believer about their beliefs, they without fail immediately try to make it into a discussion about bigger things, like the global harm that madmen have done, or the good of the many, or some other happy crappy - not simply that they are being willfully insulting.

So as to your question, since you will never engage either Osama or Bush in a discussion forum or face to face, the respect you would or wouldn't give is moot.

Just have the gumption to own that you are being intentionally insulting when you call someone's God their "imaginary friend".
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 11:20 am
Re: How much good is good enough?
acepilot wrote:

We can never be entirely good since we are human, thus mistake happy. Very mistake happy.

Very interesting question I saw years back from a christian writer.

Hey.

Well, I disagree with the entire premise "We can never be entirely good since we are human, thus mistake happy."

Actually, it doesn't even make sense in my brain. Because we are human we are partially 'bad'?
We are partially 'bad' because we mistake happily?

Huh?

No. I don't think we need to categorize ourselves in terms of 20% good, 80% bad or whatever.
Especially based on our behavior.

I prefer to make the assumption that humans are basically good simply because we are.

Neither belief can be 'proven' right or wrong. However, I think taking the basic assumption that we as humans are 'good enough' as a given, is much more productive to creating healthy people who strive and understand what 'goodness' really means.

Goodness isn't driven by fear. It is driven by some basic inside us.

That's my take.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 11:27 am
To me, a "good" person is one who does what he believes is beneficial for others without any reference to rewards and gods. The scariest thing told me in recent times was a Christian fundamentalist's assertion that we must seek to be godly, not good. That ranks obedience above benevolence.
And what about when actions reflecting good intentions end up causing harm? We cannot know for certain that our actions will--at least in the long run--be beneficial (because of the occurence of unexpected intervening "variables") to everyone they affect. It is my feeling that since we cannot guarantee the precise consequences of our actions, we must at least focus on our intentions.
And what do you think of paraphrase of William James' principle in my signature line?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 06:02 pm
flushd:
Quote:
Hey.

Well, I disagree with the entire premise "We can never be entirely good since we are human, thus mistake happy."

Actually, it doesn't even make sense in my brain. Because we are human we are partially 'bad'?
We are partially 'bad' because we mistake happily?

Huh?

Aintcha never heard "To err is human..."?
0 Replies

acepilot

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 07:18 pm
snood wrote:
Hey bub - if you're going to go on the Spirituality and Religion forum, and start threads with vague, wide-open-to-personal-interpretation titles like "How much good is good enough?", you shouldn't then sit back and take snide potshots at everyone who attempts a reply.

Shocked Did I come off that harsh? Defense mechanism sorry, it happens when the truth has been aptly damned. :wink:

Flushd, ah ha ha sorry. My wording as always is horrible, damn voice of mine!

Ever heard the saying "Trigger happy?". I changed that around and said "Mistake happy", meaning we make lots of mistakes not literally mistake the emotion of happiness. Love is good...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 07:32 pm
No problem. And belated welcome to A2K...
0 Replies

acepilot

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 07:42 pm
snood wrote:
No problem. And belated welcome to A2K...

Danke schon. First time I was welcomed since I've been here. Smile
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 10:56 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Be good enough to your fellow humans that when you yourself are in need they will be good to you.

If your good enough to other fellow humans...they will be good back? You must live in a real nice place.Fantasy Island perhaps.....

Joe Nation wrote:
The good thing about not having an imaginary friend involved in this effort called life is you get immediate and concrete feedback.

Joe(At least when my friends go crazy, I can get new friends.)Nation

but ....you do have imaginary friends....don't let the fact that you can see them fool you into believing otherwise. Fair weather friends if you like.....why should you mind though right?
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 11:26 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
And just which delusions deserve respect? All of them?

Just yours Joe.
0 Replies