Seriously, this is creeping me out.

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 08:40 am
I don't think I've ever encountered a moderator on this page. Not as anything else than just another participant in a discussion.

Although sometimes some posts have been moved to the appropriate forums when I've posted in the wrong place.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 08:56 am
Just 'cause you don't see us doesn't mean we ain't reading along.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 09:04 am
Lurking. . . Ready to pounce. . .
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 09:32 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Lurking. . . Ready to pounce. . .

You will excuse the expression, Edgar...but "AMEN!" And good to be "ready to pounce" among friends.

Also I see that some of the really boring, monotone types are still around acting like pope for a day!

Ah, that **** is good for a laugh.

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 09:36 am
I used to read that stuff, Frank. Now I just scroll. Too time consuming, too uneventful.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 09:42 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I used to read that stuff, Frank. Now I just scroll. Too time consuming, too uneventful.

Twisted Evil

I think we are on the same page!
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 12:21 am
Asherman wrote:
None of us, myself included, ever want to admit that to others our fundamental beliefs are "silly", or "wrong". Shucks, we even have difficulty in admitting our own errors to things that aren't part of our fundamental belief system.

I was raised on a remote ranch down along the border by folks who were mostly nominal Christians. One of whom was radical born-again bible thumping Baptist preacher who was well-known in the area, who felt right up until his death that God meant that I should be a preacher of his Word. I had an Aunt who was a Catholic, but never tried to force her beliefs on other family members. There were Quakers who burned copies of "impious books" that I liked and had lent to them. My stepfather's family was Mormon, and thats where were mostly affiliated. I rose naturally to become a Priest, but was unpopular with church leaders because I asked too many disturbing questions. By the time I had returned from military service, I was no longer even a nominal Christian. My Grandmother once said, "you can be any religion you like, so long as its Christian". She wasn't joking. I was drawn to Buddhism while attending college in Oregon, though at the time I know little about it. I became a Buddhist while living in a monastery "situation" in San Francisco while attending the Zendo of Roshi Suzuki.

Now I've been a Buddhist for about 42-43 years. I've benefited greatly from the practice of Buddhism, and, I think, have had some small influence in spreading that religion in America. Having had Enlightenment experiences, I no longer regard my religion as a matter of unproven belief. What I've experience, I believe is true ... right down to the marrow of my bones.

Why should not the followers of other religions hold to their fundamental beliefs as strongly as I do? As a semi-silly youth, I was on a "crusade" to correct all the world's foolishness (as I saw it), and probably was a damned pain in the neck to most of the people around me. I'm still probably a difficult person, but not usually over religion.

Does that answer your question, Bartikus?

What I understand is that what may seem silly to one may be much more to another.

Kinda like one man's trash being another's treasure.

Your answer does answer my question.

I feel the examples of Christianity you were exposed to... partly led you to Buddhism.

My brother is also studying Buddhism for about 5 years now. I love him dearly.

I am encouraged since in the end...only the truth will stand.

Take care. God be with you Asherman.
0 Replies