The Beautiful voice of Frank Sinatra

Letty

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 04:43 pm
Right, Dorothy. He was really cute when he was young. Razz

http://www.nndb.com/people/300/000026222/frank-sinatra-mugshot-nndb.jpg
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 05:55 am
Dorothy and Hamburger, thank you for your suggestions. That CD looks great, Hamburger. Why do they call them the Rat Pack? Btw, Letty, I live in Canada.

I don't know if anyone knows this, but a little more about "My Way". Paul Anka heard "Comme d'habitude" when he was on a trip in Europe and really liked it. Years later, when he wanted to write a song for Frank, he remembered the music of it. Paul mentioned that the first time "My Way" was recorded, Frank and him did a duet, each one of them recording their part in separate places. When the full song was put together, Frank was very happy with it. For that duet, Frank did only one take. I have not heard the original duet.

Apparently, one take seems to be the usual way of Frank. I read that Julio Iglesias was recording in a studio, then Frank came in. (He records in the same studio also.) Frank did one take of his song, then on the way out, was saying something like only a so-and-so (a word I forget) makes numerous takes. Julio whose idol is Frank and who was sitting in the room just sank down his chair. Julio is a perfectionist, he can make more than a hundred takes of one song just so that it will come out perfect. Every note is checked and rechecked over and over again, to give us that smooth and easy flow that is so particular in his songs.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 06:55 am
French-English/American collaborations are very fruitful I think, and much good music has been shared that way.

I particularly like the version of "She" (Charles Aznavour) by Elvis Costello....you can hear it at the beginning of the film "Notting Hill".
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 08:54 am
And the end of the film as well. It's such a beautiful song.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:18 am
McTag, I agree with you about the collaborations. I am presently discovering that many English songs came from French songs, something I would not have thought of before.

For anyone interested, I have posted a video of "Comme d'habitude" in the topic "Famous Translated Songs".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:19 am
cello - if you can get the Biography Channel or A+E on television, keep an eye out for a listing of the Rat Pack double feature. It's quite good.

http://www.thebiographychannel.co.uk/biography_story/969:901/1/The_Rat_Pack.htm

The bio of Angie Dickinson will be on the North American Biography Channel late next week. She was said to be the only female member of the Rat Pack, and her Biography Channel profile covers her time with the guys. Good stuff, if you're interested in those stories.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 11:13 am
I became curious again, and searched this out.

The Rat Pack is the nickname given to a group of popular entertainers most active between the mid-1950s and mid-1960s. Its most famous line-up featured Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr., Peter Lawford and Joey Bishop, who appeared together in films and on stage in the early 1960s. Despite its reputation as a masculine group, the Rat Pack did have female participants, such as movie icons Shirley MacLaine, Lauren Bacall, and Judy Garland. I wasn't aware of Angie Dickinson, ehBeth. Amazing to me, if my information is correct, that Joey Bishop and Shirley MacLaine are the only remaining members.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 09:45 am
McTag wrote:
Dorothy Parker wrote:
My favorite Frank song cello, is The Summer Wind.

I hate that one. But not as much as "High Hopes".

I hate any song which has children singing in it. Don't know why, just grates on me.

Especially Another Brick In the Wall by Pink Floyd. AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHH!

Mad
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 09:49 am
Letty wrote:

http://www.nndb.com/people/300/000026222/frank-sinatra-mugshot-nndb.jpg

Hell yeah! Very tasty indeed! He didn't age very well though did he?

Smile

Thanks for that Letty, not seen those pics before.

x
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 07:36 pm
Yep, there's no doubt ol' Frank was a legendary singer.

My parents were always listening to his music when I was a kid. A few years ago, I bought my mother a Sinatra CD for Christmas. She played it right away, and I was sitting there thinking, "This sounds really ..... good!"

I bought several CDs of his shortly afterwards.

I haven't read the whole thread, so I don't know if anyone else has suggested this, but you might also check out Tony Bennett.

To this day, he still has a fabulous voice -- and he's still very cool!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 11:37 pm
I had always loved Tony Bennet, but when I was on a flight with him in the 60's, I saw what a class act he was.

There were some men with him and a couple of them were those sly, "Ya wanna be in the movies baby?" kind of creeps, but Tony Bennet was kind and thoughtful.

I loved him even more after that.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:04 am
Dorothy Parker wrote:
Letty wrote:

He didn't age very well though did he?

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/2177/franksinatralw9.png

I beg to differ. He aged rather well, IMO. He put on some weight but he needed every pound. As a younger man, he was a toothpick.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:07 am
I dig skinny men

:wink:
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 04:49 pm
Quote:
I had always loved Tony Bennet, but when I was on a flight with him in the 60's, I saw what a class act he was.

That's the impression I get. He seems more likable than Sinatra was -- someone who was able to become a famous celebrity, and yet remain a decent person. And I think he's still handsome!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 02:42 am
Stray Cat wrote:
Quote:

That's the impression I get. He seems more likable than Sinatra was -- someone who was able to become a famous celebrity, and yet remain a decent person. And I think he's still handsome!

Oh, the good life, full of fun
Seems to be the ideal...
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:24 am
I was going to put that - first song that came into my head.

What's the next line then Muckty?

Bet you don't know - and NO googling!

x
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:28 am
smorgs, welcome back, honey. Guess we should thank Tony.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:36 am
Why thank you, Letty. Nice to see you too, how are you diddlin'? (as we say here)

He's supposed to be a talented artist (Tony). I havn't seen any of it though, I'll look it up.

x
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 12:12 pm
smorgs wrote:
I was going to put that - first song that came into my head.

What's the next line then Muckty?

Bet you don't know - and NO googling!

x

You've got me there....

dum ti dum ti dum
All the sadness you feel......
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 02:59 pm
Okay I googled it.

Ladies, this one's for you....

Oh, the good life, full of fun seems to be the ideal