The Beautiful voice of Frank Sinatra

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 09:36 pm
The art of music is somewhat similar to the art of graphics. Different strokes appeal to different folks. That some might show more "technical" skill has little to do with their popularity. I look at some modern art (painting), and don't understand the attraction they have and they money they pay to own them. Their skill level seems like a monkey can do a better job with a brush. That's art.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 10:42 pm
I'll be the person to knock...
I spent a lot of years with Sinatra music all about. Yes, I heard he had perfect pitch, as do some friends. I don't happen to, do I need to bow?

If I hear Strangers in the night even one more time, I am not responsible for any homicide I commit.

His music is everything I hate, lounge lizard-wise.

Sinatra in real time was one thing. Now I get to hear it again nostalgically.

Stylist, ok. May you all be happy in the Sinatra room. Shuts door.

I've collector friends who have all possible recordings, or seemingly so.

Please, please, no.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 03:37 am
Chumly wrote:
"Attempt to challenge" is not the correct working phrase here, if you are not willing to accept my views, go ask a classically trained singer if Sinatra was pitch accurate.

You may as well ask a classically-trained clarinettist whether Ben Webster was pitch accurate.
It's a different art.

Sinatra was the supreme song stylist, and he put a lot of work into getting it right. Add to that his control, his vocal tone and a dash of sex appeal, and you have the reasons why his popularity was so great, and has endured. Incidentally Osso, his best days were over before he recorded "Strangers in the Night".
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 08:31 am
I like him best singing reflective, moody, introverted or sad songs like Blues in the Night.

I find many singers with perfect pitch and a technically 'perfect' voice incredibly boring as they have no idea how to put across emotion, tell a story or play with the timing and phrasing of a song.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 02:58 pm
I do not mean to get off topic, but I find that singers who truly sing from the heart have the best tone. I am not a music expert though.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 03:10 pm
What is great about Sinatra is that he really swings. Often he may have a little intonation problem, but he compensates for that by his phrasing.

He really does his ballads straight from the heart, as well, but, as the song goes, "he did it HIS way."
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 03:39 pm
Letty wrote:
"he did it HIS way."

And that should answer any question and end all debates.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 03:40 pm
I became a fan shortly before his death. He was a controversial figure.

I remember telling my sister that I had begun to appreciate the large songbook that he had contributed to America. She immediately informed my father, who began disparaging me about "turning my back on real music and listening to all that crap out there". It was really funny...I felt like I had just announced I was gay or something. What is it about Sinatra that so inflames?

The song that did it for me was The Best is Yet To Come. That arrangement by Count Basie is phenomenal.

Frank's contemporary, Dean Martin, had a much nicer voice IMO. But Dean's arrangements sounded so off-the-shelf. Frank worked very hard at his craft.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 03:43 pm
Wait. Your father got on your case because you appreciated Sinatra or because it took you so long to develop that appreciation?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 03:47 pm
As I understand it, her father got on her case because she appreciated Sinatra after he died.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 04:13 pm
I grew up in a dysfunctional family that was allowed only to listen to country music on Saturday. My father was the radio dial dictator.

My formative years--the 60's--experienced a Cambrian explosion of music. Rock and Roll never was more exciting, pop was alive and vibrant, Motown so urgent. Yet it was all verboten in our household. All music except Country was evil. Never mind Country songs are about cheating and drinking.

What I meant to convey in my post was that I had somehow betrayed our family's heritage by embracing Sinatra. It's all so silly. It's music for Christ's sake.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 05:50 pm
There is no doubt that Sinatra had a very distinct voice that endeared him to millions of fans. Most of the credit, however, should go to Nelson Riddle, the incredible arranger. He was the one that made the songs unforgettible. He was a giant of American popular music.
http://www.jazzhouse.org/library/index.php3?read=ripmaster2
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 06:00 pm
Haven't we seen you somewhere before? Your flower looks sooooo familiar, Canada.

Odd, I never think about the arranger of music. Thanks for the link.

Well, I do know that Sinatra has a lot of imitators now. Not a bad actor as it turned out, either.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 06:00 pm
My business partner's husband did shows on a pbs type radio station and virtual walls were devoted, in their home, to jazz cds.

I like jazz myself, but with some particularity towards latin, and when I knew them, busptner and husband, I was more interested in filling gaps, ooooh, big gaps, in my knowledge of classical/opera. He was smart on jazz though, and I should have listened to him more.

Though not on Sinatra, beat me with a voice, cringe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 06:01 pm
I didn't mind his acting.

Nelson Riddle, I'll agree with that.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 06:19 pm
This is the film (with Sinatra) I liked best.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Here_to_Eternity
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 06:23 pm
Actually, Mel Torme was the singer who had the most refined arrangements. He was a true perfectionist.
http://www.npr.org/programs/jazzprofiles/archive/torme.html
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 06:25 pm
I can remember the first time I got really excited about playing the piano. I had just started playing two-handed and was learning a short piece called "The Skating Party". My teacher (Mother Joan of Arc, I kid you not) explained that I could borrow time from one bar and give it to another to make the piece remind the listener of skating -- speeding along and then gliding. No more to be the slave of the metronome! I was hooked on "phrasing" -- which is something that has been mentioned more than once here. Frank Sinatra had amazing phrasing and could paint wonderful mental pictures for the listener.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 06:35 pm
I never spend time analyzing Sinatra. I just know how much pleasure I have received from his recordings most of my life. Mel Torme had an exceptional voice, but to me didn't come off so well. Maybe a bit too theatrical- -whatever.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 06:39 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
Frank Sinatra had amazing phrasing and could paint wonderful mental pictures for the listener.

and he had some wonderful pieces to work with

ain't no body writing them like cole porter anymore

frank's take on under my skin and night and day, wonderful
0 Replies