Is there a wrong way to believe in God?

Chumly

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 01:13 pm
Should I take your answer as a "yes"?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 09:03 pm
My "God", Lightwizard and Coluber are here.
0 Replies

readysetmets

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 05:55 pm
Thanks from way down on the bottom...
I'm way down on the end of this thread just to say it is so refreshing to read so many positive spiritual thinkers out there. All you hear about in the news are the extremeists and fundamentalists of every religion running the show. Stay strong and PRAISE!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 06:08 pm
The question should be "is there a right way to believe in god?"
It's always wrong; god(s) are man-made boogymen with no power over you or this world.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 06:58 pm
As arbitrary as this obviously sounds, and in as much as there is a right way to believe in god at all, it would be in a such nammer that the believer did no harm.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 07:02 pm
A nammer? What a humorous typo. :wink: I understood your meaning in any case.

But "harm" is a word that can be very widely interpreted. What one man considers to be harmful, another percieves as beneficial in the worst cases.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 03:38 am
Good points for sure-sure!

I meant to say:"it would be in such a manner"
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 03:24 pm
JLNobody wrote:
My "God", Lightwizard and Coluber are here.

Hey JL! I'm still kicking.

I like these religious forums, but sometimes I wish I had been firmly indocrinated into a religion so I could just say, "This is how it is, and if you don't believe it, you'll go to hell." Or maybe an atheist and say, "Whatever you believe, I don't believe." It would be easier than trying to explain what can't be explained. Still, that hasn't stopped me, has it? One of these days I'll learn and just shut up.

Christians are all in a tither now over the alleged tomb of Jesus and family, because if he didn't resurrect literally, that is, if his body didn't launch into space, then Christianity falls apart at the seams. I'm not a christian, but it makes a lot more sense to me to leave jesus on the Earth, and forgot about turning him into something supernatural. Alan Watts once said that the early Christians had a problem fitting Jesus into the Christian religion, so they kicked him upstairs, that is, they made him, and the religion, supernatural.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 03:30 pm
coluber, That's easily answered; miracles only happens in the bible. If they were truly miracles, more records of those would have survived.

Only one book claiming anything is highly suspect. Besides all that, miracles only happened during bible times.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 03:46 pm
Coluber, I don't want to be a copycat but I share your situation: "It would be easier than trying to explain what can't be explained. Still, that hasn't stopped me...?"
Your citation of Watts is well taken. I think that Jesus' teachings were ignored and he was, instead, turned into just another idol. What's the saying?: ["] Jesus pointed the way and we sucked his finger for comfort ["]. I think it was Paui who turned the great ethical teacher into the supernatural Christ. What a loss.
0 Replies