The other Ten Commandments

Terry

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 04:25 pm
If our legal system is based on the Ten Commandments (as a number of posters have claimed), why don't we have laws about breaking the necks of firstborn donkeys and boiling goats in their mother's milk? Why isn't the Feast of Unleavened Bread a national holiday? Who decided that God didn't really mean it when he gave these 10 to Moses, even though they are specifically called the Ten Commandments? Should we start a movement to get the correct ones posted in courthouses?

God wrote:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 745 • Replies: 7
No top replies

fresco

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 06:59 pm
Terry,

No doubt this will provide endless fun for Holy Joes to quote differential versions in the bible !. I believe, for example, that there are six hundred and thirteen specific commandments in the OT including such gems as "not giving misleading advice" and "not leaving obstacles on public paths" !
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 02:32 pm
I especially like the part where God is said to be compassionate, abounding in love, and forgiving sin - but the next sentence says he will punish children for the sins of their grandfathers and great-grandfathers!

I would still like to know why these Ten Commandments are simply ignored by Christians - perhaps they got misleading advice? Admittedly the ones listed in Exodus 20 are catchier, but the Bible specifically says that the ones I posted here ARE the Ten Commandments written by God himself onto the stone tablets of Moses.

What mental gymnastics are required for someone to refuse to acknowledge them while claiming to believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God?
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 04:42 pm
Terry wrote:
I especially like the part where God is said to be compassionate, abounding in love, and forgiving sin - but the next sentence says he will punish children for the sins of their grandfathers and great-grandfathers!

I would still like to know why these Ten Commandments are simply ignored by Christians - perhaps they got misleading advice? Admittedly the ones listed in Exodus 20 are catchier, but the Bible specifically says that the ones I posted here ARE the Ten Commandments written by God himself onto the stone tablets of Moses.

What mental gymnastics are required for someone to refuse to acknowledge them while claiming to believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God?

Maybe it's the same reason why they ignore most of the sins that are forewarned in the Bible? For example, fornication or eating pork.

It all falls on the false premise that Jesus (PBBUH) died for all their sins. Thus they assume they can keep on sinning and they will all end up in Heaven for hanging a cross around their kneck.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 04:47 pm
Terry wrote:

This obviously isn't one of the those parts of the bible that is supposed to be taken literally. It's obvious that this is the case because following THESE commandments would be REALLY HARD and GROSS.

If Christians were told to follow THESE commandments then you'd lose all that TITHING MONEY in the churches because everyone would realize that the religion is FULL OF ****.

So, the reason that they are not followed is because they are not meant to be taken literally.

The reason that it is not to be taken literally is because it would cause a drop in attendence and fellowship.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 07:14 am
maporche

You're saying that if christianity were to abide by ALL god's commandments people wouldn't bother, so they made it easier so that people would subscribe to their religion?

If I had any respect left to lose for christianity, it would be vaporized now. But I don't, and that's why I'm not surprised at this. I thought the devil was the one supposed to bargain for souls.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 09:30 am
Cyracuz wrote:
maporche

You're saying that if christianity were to abide by ALL god's commandments people wouldn't bother, so they made it easier so that people would subscribe to their religion?

If I had any respect left to lose for christianity, it would be vaporized now. But I don't, and that's why I'm not surprised at this. I thought the devil was the one supposed to bargain for souls.

Of course that is what Christianity did. Look at the Jews, they are much more disciplined than Christians are and their numbers are dwindling. There are even sects within Christianity that were tailor made for those 'lazy' Christians. That's why there are 100,000 different groups.

Christians are pathetic.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 11:38 am
I wouldn't say that christians are pathetic. I'd say that christianity is though. Maybe it's just an attempt at diplomacy. :wink:
0 Replies