Mu- the third alternative (zen)

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 02:19 pm
All human cognition is built as a choice between two oposite expressions. We know this as dualism, and it is clearly visible in the way we express ourselves. JLNobody has often reminded us of the limits of our grammar. That is an extension of the limits of our perception.

But there is a third alternative. Something there is no western word for. In japanese it is called "Mu". "Wu" in chinese. This marvelous word means "no category", not one, not zero, not yes, not no.

In a way it means "make the question unasked". It is appropriate to use when the context of the question is too small in relation to the truth of the answer.

I've been thinking about this, and come to the conclusion that anything that can be expressed in words can be countered with "Mu", an acknowledgement that there is dualism in the words, and that the dualism distorts meaning.

Just wanted to share. :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 845 • Replies: 3
No top replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 05:21 pm
is this alot like the fact that positive and negative are the same? Like everything is truely nothing and nothing is everything?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 06:14 pm
Cyracuz,

The Wikipedia article on Mu is useful in expanding the range of the concept especially to Godel's incompleteness theorem.

Relative to my own views on "existence" it seems to capture the essence of my proclaimed adage "existence is relationship" as for example in statements by a theist about "God". The point being that the existence of God and the existence of an I who believes are mutually dependent polar aspects of a particular "reality node". What the Mu concept highlights is this polarity factor that no "thing (substance)" exists "in itself ". Here I am touching on Heideggar's usage of the term Dasein and his attempts ar transconceptual analysis.

Quote:
Heidegger and Eastern thought
Heidegger's philosophy has been read as opening up the possibility for dialogue with traditions of thought outside of Western philosophy, particularly East Asian thinking. This is an ambiguous aspect of Heidegger's philosophy, insofar as his notions such as "language as the house of being" seem precisely to rule out such a possibility. Eastern and Western thought literally and metaphorically don't speak the same language. However certain elements in Heidegger's later work, particularly the dialogue between A Japanese and an Inquirer, do show an interest in such a dialogue occurring. Heidegger himself had contact with a number of leading Japanese intellectuals in his time, including members of the Kyoto School, notably Hajime Tanabe, Kuki Shuzo and Kyoshi Miki. Furthermore, it has also been claimed that a number of elements within Heidegger's thought bear a close parallel to Eastern philosophical ideas, particularly with Zen, Buddhism and Daoism. While there is no evidence that Heidegger visited Japan or any other East Asian country, his philosophy does appear to hold out the possibility of a dialogue between Eastern and Western thought. An account given by Paul Hsao, (Heidegger and Asian thought), records a remark by Chang Chung-Yuan claiming that, 'Heidegger is the only Western Philosopher who not only intellectually understands but has intuitively grasped Taoist thought.' This may be an exaggerated reading, but it is still an aspect of Heidegger's thought that should be taken seriously.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 07:09 am
I find it hard to say something about this word that, in a way, is the negation of language. The suspension of dualism, where dualism is needed to express anyting with words... :wink:
0 Replies