1
   

Mystery as thousands of dead birds fall from Australian sky

 
 
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 01:38 am
I suspect the Austin thing and what is going on in Australia are different....
at least somewhat.

I hope it's not because the two poisoners are different.
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 02:24 am
Well, anything that happens in the USA is going to be far more important than anything that happens anywhere else.


Rolling Eyes
0 Replies
 
squinney
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 04:39 am
You got a problem with that, Bunny?

They probably are different causes, and not related to the fish or frogs. But all together it should open some eyes. I wouldn't be surprised to hear it's related to a water born illness / bacteria or such. But, even then they wouldn't seem likely to all fall dead together.

soot, hay, and all the other stuff falling from the sky... I'm hoping pigs are not next.
0 Replies
 
dadpad
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 05:11 am
My take is a water born toxin of some kind given that the feeding regiemes of these birds is all different.
Seed eaters, raptors, nectar feeders and insect eaters.

I'd be willing to bet the Austin ones were someones attempt at pest controll via a rooftop feeding of poisened grain or similar.


I wonder if this could be the reason.
Excerpt from a report by the International Bird Rescue Research Centre
When conditions are right, the marine phytoplankton, Pseudo-nitzschia australis, blooms and the tiny algae overgrow, creating what is known as a "bloom" or "red tide". The algae produce domoic acid. Research into the plankton is so recent that it's still not known what causes the algae growth or why the cells produce different levels of domoic acid at different times, but the effect is clear. As the toxin bioaccumulates up the food chain, fish become contaminated with the poison, and then the birds and marine mammals who feed on them.
The first reported outbreak of domoic acid poisoning occurred in 1987 when 3 people died from eating shellfish from Prince Edward Island Canada. In 1991, dead and dying seabirds, including pelicans, began washing up along the beaches off Santa Cruz and Monterey Bay, CA. The birds had been eating anchovy contaminated with domoic acid. In May and June of 1998, 400 California sea lions died. The cause, domoic acid.
By May 2002, thousands of birds and mammals, including dolphins, sea lions, seabirds, and endangered brown pelicans would have died of domoic acid poisoning. The media reported birds falling from the sky and convulsing, and it was true. The toxin enters the bloodstream, then the brain, causing convulsions, coma, vomiting, seizures and finally, mercifully, death. Wildlife centers were overwhelmed with dead and dying animals and desperately tried to save them.
0 Replies
 
TTH
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:47 am
dlowan wrote:
Well, anything that happens in the USA is going to be far more important than anything that happens anywhere else.


Rolling Eyes


Why would you say something like that? You make it sound like the USA is superior to other countries. Is this what you think? If so, that is a shame and certainly not true IMO.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 09:14 am
tryingtohelp wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Well, anything that happens in the USA is going to be far more important than anything that happens anywhere else.


Rolling Eyes


Why would you say something like that? You make it sound like the USA is superior to other countries. Is this what you think? If so, that is a shame and certainly not true IMO.


Now would be an appropriate time to make your stock comment about irony, Cunning Coney.
0 Replies
 
TTH
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 10:37 am
Setanta I think your dog is nicer than you. At least he/she looks at a person and appears to smile.
0 Replies
 
roger
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 10:46 am
I think that's right. It's about time Dlowan quit thinking the US is superior to everyone and everything. She's right about the dog, too.
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 05:18 pm
Setanta wrote:
tryingtohelp wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Well, anything that happens in the USA is going to be far more important than anything that happens anywhere else.


Rolling Eyes


Why would you say something like that? You make it sound like the USA is superior to other countries. Is this what you think? If so, that is a shame and certainly not true IMO.


Now would be an appropriate time to make your stock comment about irony, Cunning Coney.



Nah...only stupid Americans don't get irony, and there's no educating them.
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 05:21 pm
dadpad wrote:
My take is a water born toxin of some kind given that the feeding regiemes of these birds is all different.
Seed eaters, raptors, nectar feeders and insect eaters.

I'd be willing to bet the Austin ones were someones attempt at pest controll via a rooftop feeding of poisened grain or similar.


I wonder if this could be the reason.
Excerpt from a report by the International Bird Rescue Research Centre
When conditions are right, the marine phytoplankton, Pseudo-nitzschia australis, blooms and the tiny algae overgrow, creating what is known as a "bloom" or "red tide". The algae produce domoic acid. Research into the plankton is so recent that it's still not known what causes the algae growth or why the cells produce different levels of domoic acid at different times, but the effect is clear. As the toxin bioaccumulates up the food chain, fish become contaminated with the poison, and then the birds and marine mammals who feed on them.
The first reported outbreak of domoic acid poisoning occurred in 1987 when 3 people died from eating shellfish from Prince Edward Island Canada. In 1991, dead and dying seabirds, including pelicans, began washing up along the beaches off Santa Cruz and Monterey Bay, CA. The birds had been eating anchovy contaminated with domoic acid. In May and June of 1998, 400 California sea lions died. The cause, domoic acid.
By May 2002, thousands of birds and mammals, including dolphins, sea lions, seabirds, and endangered brown pelicans would have died of domoic acid poisoning. The media reported birds falling from the sky and convulsing, and it was true. The toxin enters the bloodstream, then the brain, causing convulsions, coma, vomiting, seizures and finally, mercifully, death. Wildlife centers were overwhelmed with dead and dying animals and desperately tried to save them.


I have been wondering that, too...if so, I would have thought the flooding Esperance got might have flushed it?


Our Torrens now gets algal blooms every summer, though.....and the multitudes of birds living on it do not seem to be poisoned...although perhaps they know to drink clean water when they can?
0 Replies
 
nimh
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:16 pm
27 Things That Fell From the Sky (cont.)

11. LUMINOUS GREEN SNOW

In April 1953 glowing green snow was encountered near Mt Shasta, California. Mr and Mrs Milton Moyer reported that their hands itched after touching it and that 'a blistered, itching rash' formed on their hands, arms and faces. The Atomic Energy Commission denied any connection between the snow and recent A-bomb tests in nearby Nevada.

13. BEANS

Rancher Salvador Targino of Joao Pessoa, Brazil, reported a rain of small beans on his property in Paraiba State in early 1971. Local agricultural authorities speculated that a storm had swept up a pile of beans in West Africa and dropped them in northeastern Brazil. Targino boiled some of the beans, but said they were too tough to eat.

14. SILVER COINS

Several thousands rubles' worth of silver coins fell in the Gorky region of the USSR on June 17, 1940. The official explanation was that a landslide had uncovered a hidden treasure, which was picked up by a tornado, which dropped it on Gorky. No explanation was given for the fact that the coins were not accompanied by any debris.

16. HUMAN BODY

Mary C. Fuller was sitting in her parked car with her 8-month old son on Monday morning, September 25, 1978, in San Diego, California, when a human body crashed through the windshield. The body had been thrown from a Pacific Southwest Airlines jetliner, which had exploded after being hit by a small plane in one of the worst disasters in US history. Mother and son suffered minor lacerations.

17. TOADS

Falls of frogs and toads, though not everyday occurrences, are actually quite common, having been reported in almost every part of the word. One of the most famous toad falls happened in the summer of 1794 in the village of Lalain, France. A very hot afternoon was broken suddenly by such an intense downpour of rain that 150 French soldiers (then fighting the Austrians) were forced to abandon the trench in which they were hiding to avoid being submerged. In the middle of the storm, which lasted for 30 minutes, tiny toads, mostly in the tadpole stage, began to land on the ground and jump about in all directions. When the rain let up, the soldiers discovered toads in the folds of their three-cornered hats.

---

The Book of Lists, The Original Compendium of Curious Information, by David Wallechinsky and Amy Wallace.
0 Replies
 
TTH
 
  1  
Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 12:09 am
dlowan wrote:
Setanta wrote:
tryingtohelp wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Well, anything that happens in the USA is going to be far more important than anything that happens anywhere else.


Rolling Eyes


Why would you say something like that? You make it sound like the USA is superior to other countries. Is this what you think? If so, that is a shame and certainly not true IMO.


Now would be an appropriate time to make your stock comment about irony, Cunning Coney.



Nah...only stupid Americans don't get irony, and there's no educating them.


It is nice to know someone is a scholar of Socrates and Cosmic irony.
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 12:54 am
I could not agree more.


Quite makes one's day, does it not?
0 Replies
 
TTH
 
  1  
Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 01:20 am
Yes it does.
0 Replies
 
Walter Hinteler
 
  1  
Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 11:04 am
Quote:
AUTHORITIES in Western Australia are again baffled by the unexplained deaths of more than 200 birds in a small farming community.
It follows the mysterious deaths of an estimated 4000 native birds at Esperance on the state's south coast in a phenomenon that has sparked worldwide scientific attention.
The Department of Environment and Conservation yesterday confirmed that another mysterious bird kill had occurred at Narembeen, 300km southeast of Perth, earlier this month.

Unlike the first incident, the dead birds at the tiny Wheatbelt town - more than 400km west of Esperance - have been identified as treemartins, similar to swallows, which are migratory insect-eaters known to enjoy moderate climates. They can be vulnerable to cold temperatures and wet conditions.

But because the deaths happened two weeks ago and were only reported to environment and agriculture authorities last week, scientists have been unable to carry out any detailed tests on a small number of decomposing remains to establish whether they died of exposure or something more mysterious.

Tests are continuing on the honeyeaters, yellow-throated miners, silvereyes and wattlebirds that were taken from Esperance, 760km southeast of Perth, where locals first started noticing the deaths before Christmas. So far, autopsies have ruled out any bacterial or viral infections as a cause of death. Esperance has a busy port and is a regional centre for agriculture, which some locals suspect may have played a part in the bird kills. The DEC should know by early next week if the deaths were due to pesticides or toxins.

At Narembeen, the swallows turned up at a house in the town's centre between January 3 and January 5. Their appearance coincided with heavy rains that culminated in serious flooding and major stock losses further south. The owner of the house has told authorities that after the rains passed, he swept up the dead birds and took them to the local tip.

When the Department of Agriculture and Food became aware of the incident last week, a ranger collected some remains but they were in a poor condition and could not be properly analysed.

DEC spokesman Paul Connolly said he did not know if the Esperance and Narembeen incidents were linked.

"What we do know is that it was quite cold at Narembeen on the day the birds turned up," he said. "We think it was around about 16 degrees, which is quite cold for a little bird like that."

Ron Johnstone, curator of ornithology at the West Australian Museum, believed the treemartins would have been exhausted and wet by the time they found somewhere to hide from the approaching storm. "These birds fly all day and eat all day, and if there's no food around because of the storm, then they are in trouble," he said.


Source
0 Replies
 
Walter Hinteler
 
  1  
Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 11:06 am
It's now on page 3:

http://i1.tinypic.com/3y3sl6t.jpg
0 Replies
 
nimh
 
  1  
Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 06:31 pm
ok, some last ones, just cause this bizarre list made me smile (and wince)..

----------------------------

27 Things That Fell From the Sky (cont.)

19. JUDAS TREE SEEDS

Just before sunset in August 1897 an immense number of small, blood-coloured clouds filled the sky in Macerata, Italy. About an hour later, storm clouds burst and small seeds rained from the sky, covering the ground to a depth of half an inch. Many of the seeds had already started to germinate, and all of the seeds were from the Judas tree, which is found predominantly in the Middle East and Asia. There was no accompanying debris - just the Judas tree seeds.

20. FISH

About 150 perch-like silver fish dropped from the sky during a tropical storm near Killarney Station in Australia's Northern Territory in February, 1974. Fishfalls are common enough that an 'official' explanation has been developed to cover most of them. It is theorised that whirlwinds create a waterspout effect, sucking up water and fish, carrying them for great disatances and then dropping them somewhere else.

21. ICE CHUNKS

In February of 1965, a 50-lb mass of ice plunged throuh the roof of the Phillips Petroleum plant in Woods Cross, Utah. In his book, Strangest of All, Frank Edwards reported the case of a carpenter working on a roof in Kempten - near Dusseldorf, Germany - who was struck and killed in 1951 by an icicle 6 ft long and 6 in. around, which shot down from the sky.

26. HUMAN WASTE

On Sunday, October 18, 1992, Gerri and Leroy Cinnamon of Woodinville, Washington, were watching a football game on TV in their den with Gerri's parents when something crashed through the roof of their living room. 'I expected to see Superman soar through the hole,' said Leroy. Instead they found several baseball-sized chunks of greenish ice. As it melted, it began to smell bad. Tow days later the Federal Aviation Administration confirmed that the Cinnamons' roof had been damaged by frozen human waste from a leaky United Airline sewage system. 'It's a good thing none of us was killed,' reflected Leroy. 'What would you put on the tombstone?'

Unfortunately, falls of waste blobs are not uncommon. On April 23, 1978, for example, a 25-lb chunk landed in an unused school building in Ripley, Tennessee. Other attacks have occurred in Denver and Chicago. And then there's the story of the unfortunate Kentucky farmer who took a big lick of a flying Popsicle before he discovered what it was.

---

The Book of Lists, The Original Compendium of Curious Information, by David Wallechinsky and Amy Wallace.
0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 06:37 pm
That icicle tale makes quite an image...
0 Replies
 
Walter Hinteler
 
  1  
Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 03:50 pm
Quote:


Full report from February 1 (missed that Embarrassed )
0 Replies
 
nimh
 
  1  
Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 07:41 pm
This week:

Quote:
Orange snow with rotten smell in Omsk Region
Newslab.ru

It snowed orange in five districts of the Omsk Region Wednesday. The snow area was 1,500 sq. m, 100 km in length. The snow ranged from light yellow to orange shades, ITAR-TASS reported. Moreover, the snow was covered with oil slicks and smelled rotten.

[..] The population in the suffered districts is more than 27,000 people. Local residents have not complained of any health problems yet. [..] Ministry for Emergencies [..] urged people to restrict walking their pets and staying outside themselves. [..]


0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 12/06/2022 at 01:38:22