Good religious UK folk united in their hatred of gays.

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 06:48 am
Meanwhile back in Olde Englande, the land of enchantment, Jews Muslims and Christians have come together...united in their hatred of homosexuals.

A simple piece of legislation outlawing discrimination against gays has caused them to put their traditional mutual antagonisms on hold, until such time this "wicked" law is rejected by the House of Lords.

The religious case seems to revolve around the prospect of a guest house owner "forced" to give a double bed to a gay couple. The religious beliefs of the guest house owner would thus be compromised.

(No-one seems to have given the obvious answer that if you rent out rooms in which people tend to have sex, and you object to them having sex in the room you rented, then you're in the wrong business mate.)

The law would make it illegal to put up a sign saying "No Gays".

Actually I think it should be compulsory, if thats how they really feel. Homosexuals would stay away and hopefully all decent people too and "No Gays" would soon be replaced by "No Business".

I find it quite astonishing that in 2007 legislation which protects discrimination against a minority should be seen as an attack the rights of other minorities to carry on being discriminatory. But on the other hand nothing surprises me anymore.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6243323.stm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 698 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 11:13 am
Heard this on the radio this morning. It seems that the legal argument the attorneys for the plaintiffs is presenting is that the law requiring them to accommodate homosexuals interferes with the landlords' freedom of religion. What happens when two 'rights' collide? The Law Lords have to sort it out, of course, and said Lords wish they'd gone into bookmaking instead.

It's really quite amusing to see what sorts of non-issues can bring Orthodox Jews, fundamentalist Christians and militant Muslims together.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 11:15 am
Merry Andrew wrote:

It's really quite amusing to see what sorts of non-issues can bring Orthodox Jews, fundamentalist Christians and militant Muslims together.

Exactly my thought when I read the related article in today's Guardian Laughing
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 03:31 pm
glad we all agree here

and of course I should have made clear its not all religious people but a few extremists.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 01:51 am
A report about that "demonstration" and a leader in today's Guardian:

Religious rally opposes new gay rights laws

In praise of... the sexual orientation regulations
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:32 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:01 pm
ok thats done and dusted.

everyone back to sleep

single beds only please
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 02:12 am
Nah, can't sleep on a single bed. I need one for me and one for my d*ck Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 07:20 am
the prince wrote:
Nah, can't sleep on a single bed. I need one for me and one for my d*ck Twisted Evil

In your dreams.

Tell me please. Do you think like this in the wee small hours? :wink:
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 07:55 am
I think like this ALL the time !
0 Replies