The Formation of the Universe

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 07:17 am
It's a little bit over my head, but apparently, what is currently believed by most physicists about the origin of the universe is a kind of big bang theory with a lot of detail called "inflationary cosmology." For those who are interested:

Measurements Support the Cosmic Inflation Theory
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 758 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 01:43 am
I'll give it a read and get back, not that I'll understand it all, but it's worth the effort to try!
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 08:44 pm
Whilst the Big Bang is the leading theory, it doesn't work without a brief period of inflationary physics.

There are several problems that have a very, very small and early period of incredible (non relativistic) growth - the lack of observed magnetic monopoles, expansion without an apparent centre, to lack of variation in background temperature etc.

Here's another one. Compact that much energy and matter into that little density as in the first moments of the Big Bang and it should have collapsed as the biggest, baddest black hole every - one with an event horizon almost as large as the Universe is today!

So why didn't it?

Creation outraced (spacetime unfolded faster than) its own gravity wave. Gravity is a aspect of relativistic physics - which only comes into play once the four forces have frozen out under SuSy from the initial sole force of quantum gravity. This didn't happen until temperatures dropped well below 10 ^ 27 Kelvin, way after the Big Bang's inflation finished.
0 Replies