Proof of existance

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 06:15 pm
Ok, I'm not entirely sure where this might go, as this may be a naive and pathetic question, but here goes..

There are plenty of people out there trying to prove to the world that God does not exist. This comes from scientifically proof and logic about an aspect of the bible, Quran etc.
However, is there, or was there any proof that god DOES exist. I mean, ok, the bible in whole, the Quran, all such ancient texts, of course they are there. but what is actual proof of God? It is possible that anyone could have written those texts; where is the proof that it was actually God or Allah or anyone else for that matter?
One may say, "proof comes from your own belief", but in a neutral situation, why should one choose a god, spoken of in a book written many thousands of years ago as apposed to years and years of progressing and advanced sciences. In one hand you have a text that has survived throughout the years, and in the other you have many many pieces of evidence against what is said in that text. The things that are unclear are either unable to proven in any which way, or are still being worked on.

To to sum it all up, where is the PROOF that God(s) actually exist?

Now of course, I am very uninformed about religion and its aspects and am still unsure of what I believe in. Working with the limited knowledge that I have on this subject, I ask only to be enlightened. Sorry if I offended anyone.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 674 • Replies: 7
No top replies

baddog1

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 06:55 pm
Re: Proof of existance
Pte Darkness wrote:
Ok, I'm not entirely sure where this might go, as this may be a naive and pathetic question, but here goes..

There are plenty of people out there trying to prove to the world that God does not exist. This comes from scientifically proof and logic about an aspect of the bible, Quran etc.
However, is there, or was there any proof that god DOES exist. I mean, ok, the bible in whole, the Quran, all such ancient texts, of course they are there. but what is actual proof of God? It is possible that anyone could have written those texts; where is the proof that it was actually God or Allah or anyone else for that matter?
One may say, "proof comes from your own belief", but in a neutral situation, why should one choose a god, spoken of in a book written many thousands of years ago as apposed to years and years of progressing and advanced sciences. In one hand you have a text that has survived throughout the years, and in the other you have many many pieces of evidence against what is said in that text. The things that are unclear are either unable to proven in any which way, or are still being worked on.

To to sum it all up, where is the PROOF that God(s) actually exist?

Now of course, I am very uninformed about religion and its aspects and am still unsure of what I believe in. Working with the limited knowledge that I have on this subject, I ask only to be enlightened. Sorry if I offended anyone.

The entire basis of God revolves around faith, and the strength of.

Example: If you were taken from your Mom at birth - would she love you? If yes - what PROOF would there be?
0 Replies

Pte Darkness

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:16 pm
Quote:
The entire basis of God revolves around faith, and the strength of.

Example: If you were taken from your Mom at birth - would she love you? If yes - what PROOF would there be?

Than one is born into faith? To clarify, one is almost pressured into faith in god based on whomsoever is raising that one. If you're parents are devout Christians, wouldn't they have an intense bias towards you also being Christian? Or at least more-so than if they were Atheist for example. Of course, this is generalized.

The example stated.. I think it all depends on the person and the amount of time passed since being stripped away. I think it would all be relative to if the mother ever wanted you in the first place as well. That example is circumstantial and varies from person to person, I think.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:42 pm
I don't believe there is any concrete proof that God exists. I would hasten to add, before the agnostics get here, there is also no proof that he doesn't.

The prevailing practice throughout history seems to be, whoever can kill or annoy the most people in the name of their particular God has made the best case for His existence.

God himself never seems to lift a finger.
0 Replies

Pte Darkness

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:48 pm
Greyfan wrote:
I don't believe there is any concrete proof that God exists. I would hasten to add, before the agnostics get here, there is also no proof that he doesn't.

The prevailing practice throughout history seems to be, whoever can kill or annoy the most people in the name of their particular God has made the best case for His existence.

Except for those who hear God's will in their dreams/meditation/etc. Case in point, Joan of Arc Razz
However, Schizophrenia can also be applied to cases such as that I suppose.

None the less, I love the second line you stated, very true.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 03:36 am
Greyfan wrote:

Nothing occurs on this Earth without it being decreed from God.

You did not kill them; it was Allah Who killed them; and you did not throw, when you threw; it was Allah Who threw: so He might test the believers with this excellent trial from Him. Allah is All-Hearing, All-Knowing. (Surat al-Anfal: 17)
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 05:10 pm
Raul-7 wrote:

Quote:
Nothing occurs on this Earth without it being decreed from God.

You can believe whatever you want. But you cannot prove this assertion, any more than I can disprove it. "Allah did it" might seem a convenient alibi for human atrocities, but it seldom holds up in court.

But if it is true, it would seem our lives are completely pointless, and we nothing but puppets in a big, dumb show. Why proselytize, or protest, or struggle for justice, if God is pulling all the strings?

Given the state of the world, God's management skills hardly seems like anything to celebrate.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 06:21 pm
Greyfan wrote:
But if it is true, it would seem our lives are completely pointless, and we nothing but puppets in a big, dumb show. Why proselytize, or protest, or struggle for justice, if God is pulling all the strings?

Given the state of the world, God's management skills hardly seems like anything to celebrate.

Some people claim the exact opposite, that without a god thier is no point to life. That its just meaningless and self-serving.
0 Replies