"There is no such thing as truth"

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 05:37 pm
I once, sitting in a lecture at university taught by some so called learned individual, I was intereseted to hear her comment "there is no such thing as truth".
I thought on this for some time and then this thought came to my mind.

If there, as this lecturer was aserting, is no truth how does she knoe that her comment about truth is true?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 493 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 06:10 pm
Well, she told me she never lies.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 06:26 pm
If there are NO truths, then the statement there is no such thing as truth must be false.

But for it to be false, there must be statements that are true, and if there are true statements, the claim is both false (as it must be in order to remain true to itself) but also wrong, refuted by its self-contained contradiction.

Next:

There are no absolutes.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 07:20 pm
I think it is true that there are no absolutes (Aside from the fact that everything changes). Rolling Eyes

It is quite evident, because every time we try to apply absolutes we get paradoxes, as in greyfan's example.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 07:30 pm
Self-reference is usually a very slippery thing. It can throw the mind into some really dizzying loops, if you let it.

EDIT: I just noticed Greyfan's signature line. Very Happy
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 07:40 pm
You should ahve debated her right then and there. If what she is saying is true then what she is saying is false!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 07:50 pm
What a delightful discussion that would be.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 07:52 pm
I'd say that there is more truth to the statement that 'there is no such thing as truth without modifications'.

This goes to show the inadequacy of grammar. A point JLNobody has illustrated well in several threads.
0 Replies