Home of the Brave--New York City

happycat

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 05:11 am
Roberta wrote:
I watched Mr. Autrey on Letterman. He seems like a regular person. And he's very thin, which I think made it physically possible for him to do what he did.

Noddy, There were two women who had helped Mr. Autrey when the young man had the first seizure. Autrey asked the women to watch the little girls.

I'm amazed at all the clear and quick thinking that this seemingly average man did in split seconds. He figured the amount of space under the train as it headed toward him. He remembered to take care of his daughters. He managed to calm and control the young man lying beneath him. Who is this guy?

An ordinary man in extraordinary circumstances.
But I'll bet the job offers are going to start rolling in for him now.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 03:26 pm
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) should mention this man in their next TV ad about obesity.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 03:52 pm
Apparently, NY is filled with do-gooders.

Toddler
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 04:27 pm
Things are getting out of hand. How humiliating. These people are destroying New Yorkers' reputation as cold and uncaring. We're not supposed to get involved.

Someone had better do something soon, or people might think that there are decent, caring people here among the 8 million of us. Our reputation is going right down the tubes. Oh, the horror.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 04:39 pm
Well, aside from his having a rather amazing combination of timely instinct and split second thoughtfulness, he is not just an ordinary guy. Lot of ordinary guys would have gotten them both killed. He is a construction worker, agile, yes, thin, and used to reacting physically quickly.

I didn't watch any of the tv stuff, but he seems to have a good sense of proportion re all this as well.

Hope nuthin' goes bad with all the commotion, hazzerai.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 04:59 pm
And both of the baby catchers have been offered tryouts with the NY Mets.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 05:04 pm
I'm sorry to let you down so badly, Roberta, but people were nice to me in New York City. And Chicago. And Los Angeles.

And there are some snakes in small towns, superficially friendly as they may be.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 05:06 pm
In the spirit of saving NYC's reputation, I will be sure to keep acting like a complete dick to everyone I see.

Especially tourists.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 05:12 pm
Osso, The city's reputation is what counts. Never mind the reality.

Thanks, Kicky. We're counting on you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 05:22 pm
Ok by me, I'm rarely a tourist, more a traveller...
0 Replies