Home of the Brave--New York City

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 04:34 am
January 3, 2007
Man Is Rescued by Stranger on Subway Tracks
By CARA BUCKLEY
It was every subway rider's nightmare, times two.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/01/03/nyregion/03life.1901.jpgWesley Autrey.

Who has ridden along New York's 656 miles of subway lines and not wondered: "What if I fell to the tracks as a train came in? What would I do?"

And who has not thought: "What if someone else fell? Would I jump to the rescue?"

Wesley Autrey, a 50-year-old construction worker and Navy veteran, faced both those questions in a flashing instant yesterday, and got his answers almost as quickly.

Mr. Autrey was waiting for the downtown local at 137th Street and Broadway in Manhattan around 12:45 p.m. He was taking his two daughters, Syshe, 4, and Shuqui, 6, home before work.

Nearby, a man collapsed, his body convulsing. Mr. Autrey and two women rushed to help, he said. The man, Cameron Hollopeter, 20, managed to get up, but then stumbled to the platform edge and fell to the tracks, between the two rails.

The headlights of the No. 1 train appeared. "I had to make a split decision," Mr. Autrey said.

So he made one, and leapt.

Mr. Autrey lay on Mr. Hollopeter, his heart pounding, pressing him down in a space roughly a foot deep. The train's brakes screeched, but it could not stop in time.

Five cars rolled overhead before the train stopped, the cars passing inches from his head, smudging his blue knit cap with grease. Mr. Autrey heard onlookers' screams. "We're O.K. down here," he yelled, "but I've got two daughters up there. Let them know their father's O.K." He heard cries of wonder, and applause.

Power was cut, and workers got them out. Mr. Hollopeter, a student at the New York Film Academy, was taken to St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center. He had only bumps and bruises, said his grandfather, Jeff Friedman. The police said it appeared that Mr. Hollopeter had suffered a seizure.

Mr. Autrey refused medical help, because, he said, nothing was wrong. He did visit Mr. Hollopeter in the hospital before heading to his night shift. "I don't feel like I did something spectacular; I just saw someone who needed help," Mr. Autrey said. "I did what I felt was right."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,058 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 04:44 am
Joe, I was stunned by this story. Also impressed as hell. I don't know how someone would dare such a thing. Actually couldn't believe it the first time I heard about it. Amazing.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 04:47 am
I spent half my time on my commute yesterday staring at the "gutter" and wondering if I could get low enough while holding down a struggling stranger.

Joe(and all the while his daughters were above, waiting)Nation
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 04:51 am
The daughters watching was another stunning part of the story.

Brave--fer sure. And a part of me also has to think maybe a little meshuga, but in a good way.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 05:18 am
Restores yr faith in humanity !!
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 06:29 am
This is such an amazing story. What a wonderful way to start off the new year.
Mr. Autrey is truly a good man.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:09 am
It ain't a big space they are talking about. As you know...I've been riding the subways a lot lately...and the thought of getting knocked to the rails has crossed my mind plenty.

I only hope that if it ever happens...the person on top of me holding me down...is a fairly thin, attractive, young, over-sexed blond.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:15 am
the prince wrote:

that's a stretch.... but this guy is a genuine selfless hero....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:15 am
What blows my mind is that this man jumped in with only the hope that he could lay low enough to keep from being crushed. How many of us could just throw ourselves down over someone else knowing that 1 inch is all it would take to kill us?

This story made me cry. There are still people out there, random people, who are willing to risk their life to save another. Even when they have two little girls.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 09:01 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
the prince wrote:

No, I don't think it's a stretch...it's like Bella Dea said; there are still random people out there willing to risk their lives for others.
You don't know who or where they are, but they just might show up when you need them most.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 09:07 am
happycat wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
the prince wrote:

No, I don't think it's a stretch...it's like Bella Dea said; there are still random people out there willing to risk their lives for others.
You don't know who or where they are, but they just might show up when you need them most.

no argument from me... but random people here and there hardly constitutes humanity....
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 07:53 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
happycat wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
the prince wrote:

no argument from me... but random people here and there hardly constitutes humanity....

Those random people, bear, (and I believe you to be one of them) are the best humanity has to offer, they outshine the shitheads, arseholes and pathetic imitations of apes who walk beside them, and when they do we start to have a little hope again.

Joe
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:09 pm
well thanks for the kind words Joe but I don't know.... I'd like to think I'd be as selfless and brave in the same situation... but I also wonder if I'd have the balls for the job.....
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:25 pm
I don't you'd give it much thought. You've always struck me as a no bullshit kind of guy (Ochrist, more kind words), nobullshit means no second guessing, mealy-mouthing, over thinking, you just get going.

Joe(okay, that's enough sweet talk)Nation
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:27 pm
c'mere you big galoot, and run your fingers through my back hair.....
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:28 pm
Get a room you guys.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:30 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
I only hope that if it ever happens...the person on top of me holding me down...is a fairly thin, attractive, young, over-sexed blond.

Good call. You still might die... but what a way to go.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:33 pm
I can't help thinking about two little girls who might have been put in great danger in the confusion of an unsuccessful rescue.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:48 pm
Mr. Autrey is supposed to be on Letterman tonight.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 12:24 am
I watched Mr. Autrey on Letterman. He seems like a regular person. And he's very thin, which I think made it physically possible for him to do what he did.

Noddy, There were two women who had helped Mr. Autrey when the young man had the first seizure. Autrey asked the women to watch the little girls.

I'm amazed at all the clear and quick thinking that this seemingly average man did in split seconds. He figured the amount of space under the train as it headed toward him. He remembered to take care of his daughters. He managed to calm and control the young man lying beneath him. Who is this guy?
0 Replies