MAGIC - and the Origin of Life

Eorl

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:01 pm
No, it isn't. That's my whole point.

One says "I don't know the answer" the other says "I do know the answer". It's chalk and cheese.

I'm curious, which religion is it that let's you feel comfortable about abhorring people?
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:20 pm
Eorl wrote:
No, it isn't. That's my whole point.

One says "I don't know the answer" the other says "I do know the answer". It's chalk and cheese.

I'm curious, which religion is it that let's you feel comfortable about abhorring people?

"Abhor" was extreme - how about "disrespect"?

Now back to the subject...
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:29 pm
Eorl wrote:
One says "I don't know the answer" the other says "I do know the answer".

What if they're both wrong? Confused
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:35 pm
Re: MAGIC - and the Origin of Life
baddog1 wrote:
Evolutionists like to use the term "magic" when it comes to God and what his follower believe. Isn't it also "magical" when considering why the explosion and the origin of life?

No. Because saying you don't know the answer to something isn't the same as making up crap and saying that you do.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:56 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
baddog1 wrote:
Evolutionists like to use the term "magic" when it comes to God and what his follower believe. Isn't it also "magical" when considering why the explosion and the origin of life?

No. Because saying you don't know the answer to something isn't the same as making up crap and saying that you do.

Huh? Shocked

Please try to be a little more descriptive ros - perhaps I've had too much tea to follow you...
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 08:59 pm
But there is magic in "I don't know". If you can say "I don't know" and truly mean it, then you are ready to learn. And if you are ready to learn, you will learn.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 09:16 pm
baddog1 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
baddog1 wrote:

Huh? Shocked

Please try to be a little more descriptive ros - perhaps I've had too much tea to follow you...

baddog1 wrote:
Isn't it also "magical" when considering why the explosion and the origin of life?

No, it's not 'also' magical for science to say it doesn't know.

Science doesn't propose supernatural (magical) explanations for things it doesn't know.

There is a huge difference between saying, 'I don't know', and saying, 'God (magic) did it'.

Now please pass the tea Smile
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 09:50 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
baddog1 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
baddog1 wrote:

Huh? Shocked

baddog1 wrote:
Isn't it also "magical" when considering why the explosion and the origin of life?

No, it's not 'also' magical for science to say it doesn't know.

Science doesn't propose supernatural (magical) explanations for things it doesn't know.

There is a huge difference between saying, 'I don't know', and saying, 'God (magic) did it'.

Now please pass the tea Smile

Then what do you say to the scientists who claim that God exists?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 09:55 pm
There is a huge difference between saying 'I don't know.' and 'I know that it cannot be supernatural because if it is then it is beyond the bounds of science, and that cannot be.'

How does one know that there is nothing beyond the bounds of observation (science) if only observed (scientific) explanations are considered?

Doesn't it seem an absurd objection to say 'the supernatural cannot exist because no one has observed it with natural means' ?

Mint with your tea?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 11:01 pm
baddog1 wrote:

Prove it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 11:08 pm
real life wrote:
There is a huge difference between saying 'I don't know.' and 'I know that it cannot be supernatural because if it is then it is beyond the bounds of science, and that cannot be.'

That's true. Luckily nothing in science says, 'I know that it cannot be supernatural because if it is then it is beyond the bounds of science, and that cannot be.'. Only you are saying that.

Science does not use (cannot use) supernatural explanations in its theories, but that doesn't mean it has proven that the supernatural doesn't exist.

Science uses methadological naturalism as a process, it does not seek to prove pure naturalism. I've explained this to you before, do you not understand it, or are you just trying to create another straw man to flay?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 11:14 pm
real life wrote:

How does one know that there is nothing beyond the bounds of observation (science) if only observed (scientific) explanations are considered?

Doesn't it seem an absurd objection to say 'the supernatural cannot exist because no one has observed it with natural means' ?

Mint with your tea?

All true. Actually, the idea that deities started the big bang is about as plausable as anything else. But since that point (prior to which nothing can be known) nothing has happened which would REQUIRE the existence of magic.

Once apon a time, many things seemed to require magic...but as we learn more and more about the universe, and magic is increasingly absent from the mix, one is more and more convinced that no magic is or was required at any point.

This is exactly why evolution is the most recent scientific discovery to horrify the church....though certainly not the first. In time, nearly everyone will accept evolution - much as they have accepted the earth not being the centre of the solar system.

Eorl Grey for me please.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 01:17 am
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

That's true. Luckily nothing in science says, 'I know that it cannot be supernatural because if it is then it is beyond the bounds of science, and that cannot be.'. Only you are saying that.

Science does not use (cannot use) supernatural explanations in its theories, but that doesn't mean it has proven that the supernatural doesn't exist.

Science uses methadological naturalism as a process, it does not seek to prove pure naturalism. I've explained this to you before, do you not understand it, or are you just trying to create another straw man to flay?

Yes, you've covered this before.

'Science doesn't seek to prove naturalism. Naturalism is an unproven assumption that the scientific method is based upon.'

In this way, we can pretend that there is nothing outside the realm of science. Science answers all.

In reality, true science is quite limited to the observable and the testable, and the scientific method has no need to be based on naturalistic philosophy. It works quite well as a functional, but limited , method of discovery.

Most of history is outside the realm of science, because of lack of reliable, recorded observation. Other types of proofs (not scientific) are used to establish the veracity of historical events, with science playing a minor supporting role.

But this is a large blow to the ego, so some have taken to expand the definition of science to include everything. Part of that power play is to assume that all things have natural causes and are therefore discoverable by science.

By attempting to burst the bonds of science and make it something it is not, it becomes what it had sought to oppose -- a faith, basing itself on unproven and unprovable assumption.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 07:09 am
As I see it, science acts on belief from time to time. A scientist, however, may be less reluctant to abandon his beliefs when they are proven to be untrue.

Timetravel, for instance, is a scientific theory. Granted, it started as science fiction, as did many of the accepted theories of today. They started as beliefs and were confirmed to be true. Other sci-fi ideas have been rejected.

So maybe the distinction between science and religion is not that of faith versus proof. The difference lies in the attitude towards what is proved and what is not.
A scientist can act on belief. He's no less scientific for it, unless he doesn't relent when his beliefs are proven wrong.

Maybe the main differenc is how different people relate to their intuition.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 07:29 am
rosborne979 wrote:
baddog1 wrote:

Prove it.

If you're claiming that God is unproven until scientific evidence applies - then clearly you must say the same about all things that are scientifically unproven - correct?
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 07:33 am
Cyracuz wrote:
As I see it, science acts on belief from time to time. A scientist, however, may be less reluctant to abandon his beliefs when they are proven to be untrue.

Timetravel, for instance, is a scientific theory. Granted, it started as science fiction, as did many of the accepted theories of today. They started as beliefs and were confirmed to be true. Other sci-fi ideas have been rejected.

So maybe the distinction between science and religion is not that of faith versus proof. The difference lies in the attitude towards what is proved and what is not.
A scientist can act on belief. He's no less scientific for it, unless he doesn't relent when his beliefs are proven wrong.

Maybe the main differenc is how different people relate to their intuition.

Well said!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 08:39 am
baddog1 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
baddog1 wrote:

Prove it.

If you're claiming that God is unproven until scientific evidence applies - then clearly you must say the same about all things that are scientifically unproven - correct?

Ok then, I'll be more specific... to a scientist who claimed that god exists, I would say, "prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, prove it to the same level that other scientific facts have been proven". This is the level of proof which is implied when a scientist claims something exists. It shouldn't need to be said.

But I can tell you ahead of time that science can't prove the supernatural because the supernatural is not viable within science. So for anyone to prove 'god' exists, they would have to redefine the concept of god such that it was no longer supernatural.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 09:02 am
real life wrote:
Yes, you've covered this before.

'Science doesn't seek to prove naturalism. Naturalism is an unproven assumption that the scientific method is based upon.'

In this way, we can pretend that there is nothing outside the realm of science. Science answers all.

I wouldn't say it that way. I would simply say that things outside of science cannot be scientifically proven. This shoudl be obvious.

real life wrote:
In reality, true science is quite limited to the observable and the testable, and the scientific method has no need to be based on naturalistic philosophy. It works quite well as a functional, but limited , method of discovery.

The evidence used to build scientific theories must be observable and testable, but the knowledge revealed by the evidence need not be observable directly. Deduction, reason and logic are still human skills which are acceptable methods of discovery.

real life wrote:
Most of history is outside the realm of science, because of lack of reliable, recorded observation. Other types of proofs (not scientific) are used to establish the veracity of historical events, with science playing a minor supporting role.

You can define whatever subjective, touchy-feely types of non-scientific proofs you want, but when it comes to the physical world, none of them are going to stack up against scientific proof. The scientific method is tried and true with most of our current civilization using it as a foundation. If you want to jump off a cliff because the book of voodoo says demons will catch you, then go ahead, I'll wave to you on the way down.

real life wrote:
But this is a large blow to the ego, so some have taken to expand the definition of science to include everything.

Science is just a tool we use for understanding the natural world. Methodological Naturalism is just the part of the scientific process which keeps subjective assumptions from slipping in and corrupting the result.

Why do you think it has anything to do with ego?
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 09:06 am
rosborne979 wrote:

Ok then, I'll be more specific... to a scientist who claimed that god exists, I would say, "prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, prove it to the same level that other scientific facts have been proven". This is the level of proof which is implied when a scientist claims something exists. It shouldn't need to be said.

But I can tell you ahead of time that science can't prove the supernatural because the supernatural is not viable within science. So for anyone to prove 'god' exists, they would have to redefine the concept of god such that it was no longer supernatural.

Science is very good at answering the 'how' questions, however it is not very good in addressing the 'why' questions - which is where the "supernatural" as you call it comes in. More & more scientists are realizing that the more they learn - the less they know. It is a semi-dichotomy for them.

As scientists accept that science and religion can (and should) coexist; they become more open-minded about the universe and beyond - which helps to expand their thought-process. Those who dig their heels in (such as you choose to do) about the possibility of a God greatly limit their scientific potential.

You infer that PROOF is essential to existence - yet I'd bet that your life says otherwise. :wink:
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 09:17 am
baddog1 wrote:
Science is very good at answering the 'how' questions, however it is not very good in addressing the 'why' questions - which is where the "supernatural" as you call it comes in.

Science answers 'why' questions just fine. Why do you feel you need to rely on the supernatural any time science doesn't have an answer? There are counteless points in history where people didn't know something and explained it with the supernatural, when we now have natural explanations.

baddog1 wrote:
As scientists accept that science and religion can (and should) coexist;

This is nothing new. Scientists for the most part have always accepted that science and religion can/shoud co-exist. The only people who seem to think they can't co-exist are religious people.

baddog1 wrote:
they become more open-minded about the universe and beyond - which helps to expand their thought-process.

They're not becoming more open minded, they've always been open minded. Where are you getting all this stuff?

baddog1 wrote:
Those who dig their heels in (such as you choose to do) about the possibility of a God greatly limit their scientific potential.

What are you talking about?

baddog1 wrote:
You infer that PROOF is essential to existence - yet I'd bet that your life says otherwise. :wink:

What did I say that implied that proof is essential to existence?
0 Replies