The Ear Of God?

Chumly

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 11:10 pm
What arguments give the (presumed) spiritual advisor (self appointed, officially appointed, or otherwise) of an organized (or disorganized!) religion the claim of a proprietary access to the ear of god, over some other individual or group of the same religion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 730 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Terry

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 03:40 am
Presumably God does:
God wrote:
Numbers 12
Listen to my words:
"When a prophet of the LORD is among you,
I reveal myself to him in visions,
I speak to him in dreams.

7 But this is not true of my servant Moses;
he is faithful in all my house.

8 With him I speak face to face,
clearly and not in riddles;
he sees the form of the LORD.

Or not:
God wrote:

Matthew wrote:

I don't know how people are supposed to distinguish between true prophets and false ones. Might be best to just ignore them all.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:45 am
That would suggest the Christian bible is contradictory on organized religion, wouldn't it?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 12:49 pm
As the wise man said, "Those who know, don't say, and those who say, don't know."

Even those who have a mind-shattering spiritual experience tend to interpret it within the context of their personal religion, and their personal religion consists of the dogmas, symbols, and myths they were inculcated with as children. That is not to discount spiritual experience; it simply means that the relating of spiritual experience can only be done through metaphors, or poetry and music. It's as big a mistake to assume that myths can only be taken literally as it is poetry.

As small children we are constantly in of what we might call a hypnotic state of mind and are open to messages being implanted by inculcating or through repitition. The problem is that when we grow up we think that we can only take these myths literally rather than metaphorically. There are two ways of taking any religious symbol or myth: Mosaically, that is literally; and Hermetically, that is metaphorically.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 04:38 pm
Terry wrote:
I don't know how people are supposed to distinguish between true prophets and false ones. Might be best to just ignore them all.

Greatest quote ever!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 04:43 pm
Quoth one of the faithful in the Life of Brian: "I say he is the Messiah, and I should know: I've followed a few!"
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 06:02 pm
He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy.

(patiodog, don't get me started again. We've already confused a whole bunch of folks on that other thread. )
0 Replies