It's been a year

Reyn

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 05:16 pm
Yup, a whole year since I last had employment (Dec 27th). I actually didn't officially retire until May 1st. I had holidays and banked time that took up the difference between the two dates.

Well, it's certainly been a different year. I think I'm actually starting to feel comfortable, or not guilty, about not working for money. The previous routine went out the window for not only myself, but my wife, too. Having me around the house a lot made for some adjustments for both of us.

I've kept reasonably busy. Of course I insisted that I help with the housework, vacuuming, cleaning various things, making beds, etc. Stuff that I'm not inept at, like cooking.

I finally got most of my interior painting projects done, although the basement laundryroom still needs doing. Nice to get that done.

In the meantime, I have been looking for part time jobs. Since I'm only 55, my retirement plan did include doing some work until 65. More as a hedge against inflation and unexpected expenses, rather than being in need of extra money, although it's always nice to sock away a bit more than one expects to use.

So, currently I have a resume in for a job as an egg inspector. The job closes Jan 6th and I'm eagerly awaiting a call for an interview (fingers crossed). I'm particularly excited about this one, as the hours are perfect for a semi-retired person. Only 2 shifts a week (15 hours) and the pay is certainly decent enough, too ($15/hr). So, we'll see.

In the meantime, I keep busy with various hobbies, my main one being chess (which takes up a fair bit of my time), and here (of course!). I've also just started doing puzzles (crosswords, word searches, etc) which I'm enjoying.

It's nice that my wife and I have time to go on local outings, but I'm still feeling guilty about going to a movie matinee in the afternoon. Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,034 • Replies: 45
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 05:28 pm
enjoy yourself

you're a long time dead, live a little
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 05:49 pm
haha, Well, certainly trying. So long we're careful with our money, we should be okay.

It just seems strange at times not to be working. I was basically with the same company for over 31 years. So, it's taken some time to not think about it. Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 05:51 pm
Sounds great, reyn. I like stories that result in people doing well for themselves.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 06:00 pm
Re: It's been a year
Reyn wrote:
So, currently I have a resume in for a job as an egg inspector. The job closes Jan 6th and I'm eagerly awaiting a call for an interview (fingers crossed). I'm particularly excited about this one, as the hours are perfect for a semi-retired person. Only 2 shifts a week (15 hours) and the pay is certainly decent enough, too ($15/hr). So, we'll see.

Where did you look to find such a job vacancy announcement and how does one qualify to be an egg inspector?

Sounds like something I could do.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 06:22 pm
An EGG INSPECTOR??? What does that involve? I can only look at so many eggs before I go bonkers. Will you be inspecting only chicken eggs? Duck eggs? Ostrich eggs? Human eggs? So much to learn!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 08:59 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Sounds great, reyn. I like stories that result in people doing well for themselves.

Hi Edgar! Yeah, I'm quite excited about this possible opportunity. I hope things work out well for yourself, too, when the time comes. I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting something part time.

As for adjusting to retirement, it feels a bit stranger than I thought it would. Years of routine takes some time to wind down from.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 09:02 pm
Egg Inspectors are quality control people for the Easter Bunny.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 09:07 pm
Re: It's been a year
Butrflynet wrote:
Where did you look to find such a job vacancy announcement and how does one qualify to be an egg inspector?

Sounds like something I could do.

Hi Butrfly. I'm sure you could do this job.

Here in Canada, I've just found out, our federal gov't maintains a job bank website HERE.

Here is a copy of the actual job bulletin:

Quote:
Advertisement number: 2522743
Title: Inspector (Junior inspector for egg verification) (NOC: 6681)
Terms of Employment: Permanent, Part Time, Day, Evening
Salary: $15.00 Hourly for 15 hours per week
Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible
Skill Requirements:
Education: Completion of high school
Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.): Not required
Experience: Will train
Languages: Speak English, Read English, Write English
Essential Skills: Reading text, Document use, Numeracy, Oral communication, Working with others, Finding information, Computer use
Other Information: Our company verifies and inspects shell eggs at the Abbotsford breaking plant. We are looking for a flexible part time person to work 1 evening shift per week and 1 Friday day shift. Experience in Excel preferred.

Employer: LRM Inspection and Verifcation Services LTD

How to Apply:
Please apply for this job only in the manner specified by the employer. Failure to do so may result in your application not being properly considered for the position.
By E-mail: ***********

Advertised until: 2007/01/06

I should be okay with the qualifications. I've used computers at work and I've had some experience with the Excel program. It's not that hard to pick up.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 09:09 pm
NickFun wrote:
An EGG INSPECTOR??? What does that involve? I can only look at so many eggs before I go bonkers. Will you be inspecting only chicken eggs? Duck eggs? Ostrich eggs? Human eggs? So much to learn!

Well, I'm surmising that the job entails spotting flaws in egg shells, and I can confidently say that it will involve chicken eggs.

I'm sure I can pick up what I need to know quickly. :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 09:16 pm
Over this past year, Reyn, have you found yourself thinking a lot more?
If yes:
Would you say that on the whole, this is a good or bad thing? :wink:

(A serious question, actually. Some folk have great difficulty coping with the loss of structure in their lives, which work provided. Even if they hated their job. Any regrets at all?)
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 09:55 pm
msolga wrote:
Over this past year, Reyn, have you found yourself thinking a lot more?
If yes:
Would you say that on the whole, this is a good or bad thing? :wink:

(A serious question, actually. Some folk have great difficulty coping with the loss of structure in their lives, which work provided. Even if they hated their job. Any regrets at all?)

Hi Olga! I'll start with the last part of your post first.

Regrets from being a meter reader? None whatsoever! I still have a scar from the last dog that attacked me (rottweiler) on my right forearm, which happened back in February 2005.

Then, there's the having to work in all kinds of weather all year round. I'm definitely not going to miss that! The job was okay if the weather cooperated, the dogs were secured, the customers weren't yelling at you, etc.

Then, there's the pace of the job. Lots of territory to cover and you've got a tight schedule to keep. It makes the day go fast, but there's appointments to keep for access as well, which makes it stressful.

Then, there was always the thing about being in the wrong place at the wrong time - the criminal element. British Columbia is the hot spot in Canada for pot grows and a large percentage (from statistics I've read) are operated by the Hell's Angels motorcycle gangs. They sub-contract out the dirty work, so you never can tell what you're going to run into - frequently Asians (lots of Vietnamese; factual, not a discriminatory comment). One of our fellows literally walked into a rural barn to read a meter and "they" were hard at work inside. Both parties were surprised. Not a good thing. Fortunately, no problems resulted (but that's a whole story in itself).

What is missing is the routine and having to be somewhere at a particular time. Like I mentioned to Edgar above, after all the years, there's a lot routine to wind down from.

Thinking. Hmm, well, I don't know if I'd call myself a "thinker", but I've gotten in touch more with my mortality. I guess when one retires it demarcates part of your life. Of course, a new phase begins, but "it's" in the back of your mind.

There were times I was a bit apprehensive about this retirement gig. there's always the worry if one has the financial wherewithal to make a go of it. I think we'll be okay though. One of the criteria for retirement was to have our mortgage paid off our home - which we did in July 2005, just a few months prior to stopping work.

Yes, I'm a bit apprehensive being potentially in back in the workforce after being out of it for a year. On the other hand, I think it'll be good for me, too. I'm sure I'll be fine if I get this job. It'll be another routine. I think everybody needs some structure to their life - retired or not.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:22 pm
Interesting, thoughtful response, Reyn.

No, I wouldn't miss the aspects of your job that you described, either.

Sometimes I think governments & businesses should (where possible) introduce a sort of winding down/reduced time option for those folks who want it. They might happily & productively work 4 days a week, then 3 days a week, then .... For some, it's too abrupt to go from fulltime to nought days, overnight. And I think sometimes employers lose good employees by not giving them a part-time option. I reckon some folk could work into into their seventies, longer even, under the right circumstances. It's all about balance, isn't it?

But you, obviously, were more than happy to say goodbye to that job! :wink:

I understand what you're saying about getting in touch with your own mortality. Work keeps us so busy & so preoccupied that we can easily find ourselves cut off from so many other important considerations in our lives, too. I've been listening to readings from the Dalai Lama (sp?), about "preparing for death" throughout the whole of one's life. As depressing as that may sound (it isn't/he isn't! Very Happy ) he argues that denying such an inevitability causes much pain & anguish, especially in "westerners".

Good luck with your job application, Reyn. I hope you get it!
It's rather good, having that choice to opt in & out of work when one wants, isn't it? Keep us posted!Very Happy
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 11:26 am
I had just typed out another thoughtful response and when I tried to submit it, I got the dreaded, "Critical error. Cannot connect to database" message and lost it! Mad Mad Mad

So, just a short reply then.

I never considered a part time or casual option after I retired from my last job, even though it could have been available to me. It's the type of job that you have to be sharp every day, otherwise you could put yourself in danger.

Yes, I will post how it goes with that job. Wal-Mart already didn't want me, so we'll see how this goes. Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 07:32 pm
Good luck with it, Reyn!

I have this feeling in my bones that the job is yours! Very Happy

I'm sorry I missed your long & thoughtful post. Damn those critical errors!

A happy 2007 to you & yours, Reyn! <especially the gorgeous feline family members!>
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 08:56 am
msolga wrote:
I have this feeling in my bones that the job is yours! Very Happy

Well, it's not looking that way. No phone calls for interviews. Don't think it's going to happen.

Just for a lark, I sent in a resume for a job as an Online Profile Editor for a dating site. You get to work from home. The money isn't that great and it's only 10-20 hours per week. I'd be surprised if I ever hear anything.

Some other options have come up, but haven't made any decisions yet on doing anything about it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 09:13 pm
Oh, I think you'd be perfect as an online editor for a dating site, Reyn! Very Happy

Apart from that, have you ever considered using your online & other skills like photography, etc, to create your own job?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 09:37 pm
msolga wrote:
Apart from that, have you ever considered using your online & other skills like photography, etc, to create your own job?

Hmm, would you like to expand on that idea?

I'm listening......
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 09:48 pm
Well, for starters, look around your community & see if there are any as yet unmet (unexploited?) needs. Community advertising of some sort? Weddings, parties & funerals? :wink: Think local. Stuff that folk would be prepared to pay a not exorbitant fee for if it was available ....

Is this ringing any vague bells yet ...?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 08:53 am
I'll keep it in the back of my head, but any previous businesses I tried (many years ago now) never worked out. So, am a bit anxious about starting anything. Not too keen on putting money up front.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » It's been a year
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 12:58:19