It's been a year

cjhsa

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 09:06 am
If you spin and egg and it keeps spinning, it's hard boiled. If it doesn't, it's raw. That's all you need to know.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 11:38 pm
Reyn wrote:
I'll keep it in the back of my head, but any previous businesses I tried (many years ago now) never worked out. So, am a bit anxious about starting anything. Not too keen on putting money up front.

I can certainly understand that, Reyn.

But I wasn't thinking big time financial investments. I was thinking small, community stuff & based on the skills you already possess. Not an "instant earner", but something built up over time.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 07:35 am
"Hello and welcome to Wal-Mart."
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 06:14 pm
Well, tonight I'm trying out for a new job, part time - cleaning offices.

I was quite surprised to get a call so quick, as I only faxed my resume in yesterday.

Hope it works out....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 07:17 pm
This is the one. Prepare to re-enter the work force. Welcome back, dude.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 08:53 pm
Yup, I'm a bit nervous. I've got lots of questions for the company owner. So, tonight will be very much a trial for both of us.

Leaving in 10 minutes.... :wink:
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 08:59 am
The first night of office cleaning went quite well. I was dead tired though. Really earned the money.

Out again tonight.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 09:12 am
Pace yourself, so as to avoid early burnout. Don't steal the change in the drawers, and hands out of the bags of M&Ms left sitting out. Do these things, and empty the waste baskets, and you should do well, my son.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 05:25 pm
I wouldn't ever steal anything. Not worth the grief. Was always careful when I was meter reading. Most times I wouldn't even accept "free gifts" from customers.

Re: The office cleaning job. Nowadays, I assume there are cameras everywhere. One of the places that I did with the cleaning company owner (I partner with him) was to do a credit union. Didn't even look sideways there.

Either way, I'm committed to this job in the short-term. In the long-term, I have my eyes open for a job at our regional recycling depot. The hours are daytime (9-6), as opposed to the evening hours now. It's not bad (abt 7:30pm-10:30pm), but I would prefer day.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 05:45 pm
To me, the first step seems the hardest. It gets easier from there. Good luck, dude.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 09:25 am
Did 3.5 hours last night. Was pretty zonked. Went to 4 locations.

You sure can tell the "bigger shots" by the size of their offices. hehe, Love those offices where 2 or 3 folks are crammed into one small space.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 10:05 am
I've replied twice, lost both posts. Suffice to say, I am proud you are doing something you want to do. Waytago, dude.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 09:51 pm
As I mentioned previously, I would prefer something during the day, and still have my eye on getting into our regional recycling depot.

Having done this job for a couple of night's, I at least have an inking of what you must go through everyday with your job. I have a lot of respect for you sticking with it.

Do you think you'll do something part time in the same field when you retire? I could imagine you would have no problem finding a suitable position.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 09:57 pm
I've thought about working in a Home Depot, or even a grocery store; something less stressful.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 08:58 am
I was going to apply at Home Depot. Just a short time ago, they were hiring here for the spring, but changed my mind. Looking around the store, there are a lot of heavy items one would need to lift in order to stock some of the shelves.

I've thought about being a grocery clerk and stocking there. In one chain, customers pack their own groceries, so no need to do that, which I like. The hours one needs to be potentially available is from 7am to 11pm. It is high on my list, but the store is only hiring at the moment for graveyard stocking, so not interested in that.

Other than that, it is high on my list, along with the recycling center.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 09:54 pm
Edgar, things have a habit of changing on a dime apparently.

The wife (who does the bookkeeping for the company) of the fellow I had just started working for, phoned me up just a while ago and said that I would not be treated as an employee, but as an independent contracter.

Well, I said I'd think about it, but after my wife and I talked about it, decided that was not for me. So, tomorrow, I think I'll tell the fellow that it's over and to pay me out for the 2 nights that I've already worked.

They really should have got their act together before they advertised for the "job" and laid it all out in the beginning. There's lots of implications me working as an independent contractor that I don't want to be dealing with. Oh well.

BUT, consequently, I also got a call, just shortly after lunch, from an assisted-living care home that I had dropped off a resume a couple of weeks ago. Brand new facility that's only a few minutes walk from my home.

The work would be as general kitchen help. Will find out all the details when I go for an interview tomorrow at 10am.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 10:01 pm
Treating one as an independant contractor is just a way to shirk any obligation to you. Also makes it easier to ease you out if they find someone they like better. Good move, getting away from them.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 06:15 pm
The general kitchen help interview went quite well I thought. Haven't been hired yet, but I think they're going to ask me to tryout for a little bit to see how it goes. The pay is pretty good to start - $14 per hour, which quite surprised me. Shocked

The cleaning job will wrap up tonight. I told the fellow that I wasn't interested in continuing further as an independent contracter, so he pay me out for the couple of nights.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 06:32 pm
I did general kitchen work many years ago. Enjoyed it, but didn't make that good of money.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 08:40 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I did general kitchen work many years ago. Enjoyed it, but didn't make that good of money.

I was absolutely shocked when I was told that the starting wage was $14-15 per hour. I'm sure my jaw dropped....hehe!

Either way, I'm starting to pursue it. I've enrolled in a course for safe food handling, which consists of an 8 hour session. I will do so Feb 26 & 27.

The neat thing about this place that it's less than a 5 minute walk from home. All to the good!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » It's been a year
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 01:03:34