End of the World

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 02:58 pm
Do you think the world will end? What does your religion or lack there of, say about this? Is this a good rebirth of mankind or a terrible destruction of our race?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,782 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 03:03 pm
What do you mean by "world?"

What do you mean by "end?"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 03:04 pm
By the way, i would have voted "tapioca pudding," but it was not in the list of options.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 03:21 pm
Re: End of the World
EpiNirvana wrote:
Do you think the world will end? What does your religion or lack there of, say about this? Is this a good rebirth of mankind or a terrible destruction of our race?

Certain people professing the Christian faith take the Biblical passages re the end of the world quite literally--or at least they try to. They would certainly vote that the end of the world will be by supernatural action.

Other people professing the Christian faith take the Biblical passages re the end of the world as symbolic, allegory, and/or other apocalyptic code and rather expect the end of the planet Earth will be through the normal processes that create and demolish planets as described by scientists.
These would most likely vote that the end of the world will be by natural means.

There is a third group professing the Christian faith who think a miracle or action by 'natural means' is no less a miracle or act of God and they might vote either way.

Some might think it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things and will vote that 'no', the world won't end and is eternal as the universe is eternal.

And religious of other than the Christian faith will have their own views that could cause them to vote one way or the other.

The bottom line is that regardless of one's religion or lack thereof, any particular person might vote one way or another depending on how he thinks what the 'end of the world' might entail.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 03:42 pm
I am a Buddhist. The world, like all living things will eventually meet its demise. It is part of the eternal cycle of life and death. And, like all things, the Earth will die a natural death.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 04:27 pm
Re: End of the World
EpiNirvana wrote:

The world as a planet in its current state may indeed one day cease existing. The good news though is that the particles of the earth once it explodes (or is blown up by manrotten) will most likely continue sailing blissfully around in space; so the world technically will not end.

Manrotten may also cease existing...either through reasons connected to stupidity (nuclear attacks, accelerating global warming, depletion by wastefulness of natural resources etc,), or by nature (volcanic explosions causing darkness on the earth and death of plant life and critters or through continued global warming and rising ocean levels, the flooding out of manrotten...'nother words, manrotten drowns. Plates may shift and cause upsurges of land sending people and water from oceans hurtling into newly formed valleys...again, manrotten drowns).

However all is not lost, many of manrotten have souls (albeit soiled nearly worthless souls; but souls nonetheless) These creatures will be sent to other universes and enter into life forms there. It's really all part of a great experiment in which souls go around living in different containment areas (similar to terrariums) and learning.

I have no idea whether my religious background (Jewish/Methodist/Other) had anything or all to do with my beliefs. My Methodist background babbles about a bunch of tables up at God's house where we all get to dine...sounds strange, and doesn't tell me where I will be residing after death. I've heard about peaceful streets and harp music always playing...those two together seem to be contradictory. My Judaic teachings were much more limited and consisted of a Rabbi, a ritual, and years later the annual Passover torture where I was haunted by the idea that a long dead guy would show up and claim his glass of wine. Needless to say I abandoned formal religion. I was also briefly semi-indoctrinated into the Rosicrucians. I remember Mother sitting in a darkened room with an incense cone on a table and a mirror. No light other than the glow from the incense. . Not sure what that was supposed to accomplish and I abandoned my connections with the Rosicrucians at about age 12. She bought the mirror at Gimbel's Department Store on West 33rd or 32nd Street, it was a fancy deal with wooden frame.

I did not however forfeit my belief in a character named God who runs this particular unit of an intergalactic and interuniversal organization.

So, my religious teachings have perhaps contributed to my thoughts and my day to day life has as well. Do my beliefs fall in line with any church? I have no idea, since I do not go to any religious center...it's against my religion. Not all my ideas agree with science either; but, science is involved in my daily thought procedures.

In the final picture, everything has a beginning and an end and all that is here will go on in some form although we as humans probably have no ability to comprehend the full complexity of all the workings. Don't worry about it, just slap a silly grin on your face.

Yeah, I know. You may think I'm nuts. Well, I'm not a religious fanatic so I can't be nuts...can I?
0 Replies

EccentricWerewolf

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 04:52 pm
Lol, the world has to end sometime, even if we don't distroy it, stars don't last forever, and with the moon inching closer every year. The world will someday die.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 03:11 am
Do you want to know the signs leading up to Judgement Day or how God is going to destroy this Earth before Judgement Day?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 04:07 am
If the world ends because of supernatural powers, then it would by default have ended in the natural sense. Thus as soon as a supernatural power expresses itself in the natural world, it can no longer be supernatural.

This is precisely why supernatural powers cannot exist in the natural world.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 07:09 am
Raul-7 wrote:
Do you want to know the signs leading up to Judgement Day or how God is going to destroy this Earth before Judgement Day?

I've read Revelation a few times. I find it pretty vague in the sense famine, war, sickness... go on all the time. But i guess its the magnitude of such events, but how much is too much? Wouldn't you say the plague or WWII would be more volatile times than this? It just gives more to the idea we don't know the time or date. Because its always happening.

True enough Chumly. Unless its something quite noticeably supernatural like a giant hand, its going to be seen as natural.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:51 am
As we're snowed in here (16" at our house in a town where a spring rain shower creates chaos), I re-watched the movie "Armageddon" last night. The movie is not particularly well done--has a good plot and some interesting character development while putting way too much emphasis on confusing special effects of stuff blowing up--but the basis is an effort to deflect a huge asteroid that will otherwise impact earth.

The asteroid is described in the movie (by a NASA chief) as a 'global killer'. Half the earth will be incinerated upon impact and the remainder will freeze to death in the 'nuclear winter' generated. Nothing will survive. Not even bacteria. The physical structure of the planet itself would be altered, but it would survive.

Would this qualify as the 'end of the world'?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:58 am
You left out an important option. I think that the world may end through human means. I am convinced that humans, although very sophisticated technologically, are still in our infancy in terms of dealing with each other. So, put some skittish, not too mature human beings with some high tech WMDs, and that is a recipe for disaster.

Then again, I may be wrong. I was convinced that during the Cold War, the earth would be blown to smithereens. I was wrong. I hope that I am wrong now,, but I am concerned.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 02:31 pm
EpiNirvana wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:
True enough Chumly. Unless its something quite noticeably supernatural like a giant hand, its going to be seen as natural.
The closest to that in modern times are UFO's, alien abductions, crop circles, cattle mutilations, etc.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 03:15 pm
Chumly wrote:
EpiNirvana wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:
The closest to that in modern times are UFO's, alien abductions, crop circles, cattle mutilations, etc.

But don't you think of those things in the same category as 'shadow people' or the Loch Ness monster or Bigfoot or vampires or any number of other things some people claim exist but which cannot be scientifically verified? None of these are seen as a threat to all life on Earth at least in the same sense as a giant asteroid impacting Earth or the planet being drawn into the sun.

The difference between those latter things and maybe a Noah-style flood or a Biblical parting of the Red Sea are significant, however. I wonder what it would take to convince non-believers that God was destroying the Earth as seems to be Biblically predicted versus some global catastrophe through 'natural' means? (That's assuming we would have time to witness it at all of course.)
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 04:22 pm
I really dont think huamsn will destroy the world or life on it or anything like that. It could happen but i think we know enough not to provoke a nuke world wide war. And for the natural ressources, we seem to have plenty of time to figure something out.

And for UFOs and such, i think we have seen enough movies to know how to stop any invasion. Very Happy
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 04:24 pm
EpiNirvana wrote:

And for UFOs and such, i think we have seen enough movies to know how to stop any invasion. Very Happy

Not if the visitors are using their cloaking device...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 04:42 pm
Oooops!

This isn't the New Years Eve Party, is it?

(puts party horn back in pocket and slinks out.)

Hope I didn't just scare the sh!t outta anyone. Laughing
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 04:46 pm
AHH! The 2nd Coming! Quick hid the liquor before jesus sees it!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 04:58 pm
Well, I mean, I've been known to make men cry out gods name, but I've never been confused with jesus.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 06:57 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
But don't you think of those things in the same category as 'shadow people' or the Loch Ness monster or Bigfoot or vampires or any number of other things some people claim exist but which cannot be scientifically verified? None of these are seen as a threat to all life on Earth at least in the same sense as a giant asteroid impacting Earth or the planet being drawn into the sun.
Check out the radio audience response to the first radio broadcast of War Of The Worlds and then tell me "None of these are seen as a threat to all life on Earth".
Quote:
Orson Welles' famous radio adaptation of H. G. Wells' classic novel The War of the Worlds was performed by Mercury Theatre on the Air as a Halloween special on October 30, 1938. The live broadcast frightened many listeners into believing that an actual Martian invasion was in progress. Although it is sometimes stated that there were many disclaimers pointing out the fictionality of the invasion, there was only one disclaimer at the start of the broadcast, and then two close together near the end, leaving ample time in the middle for confusion and fright on the part of listeners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_(radio)
0 Replies