Dance your way to cleanliness

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 01:15 am
Quote:
Clean up with a soft shoe shuffle

By Stewart Payne
29/12/2006

For those considering making a New Year's resolution to be tidier around the house, but fearing they may not keep it, help is at hand. Scientists have developed shoes that vacuum clean as you walk.

Ideal, they say, for busy professionals who have no time for housework. Sadly the product, devised by Electrolux, is some way off being available in the shops. But the company has given it a name, Dustmate.

Prototypes are composed of a rechargeable base containing a vacuum engine and an elastic sock which holds the user's foot in place.

A spokesman said: "As you walk, the base of the shoes collects the dust, without requiring any effort. It is a simple, yet creative cleaning concept."

Source

http://i10.tinypic.com/35n6n0h.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 469 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 12:31 pm
I'm wondering if these shoes would cause a lot of static electricity.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 01:10 pm
I have got to get a pair of those! I wonder if they come in red.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 01:11 pm
This is just the perfect thing since my kids have gotten too old for this:

http://www.apparelsearch.com/Unusual_Clothes/unusual_clothing_baby_mops.htm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 01:28 pm
I've just found out that "Dustmate" is a concept put forward by Sebastian Alberdi and Gustavo Maggio from the European Design Institute in Barcelona (Spain) and Universidad de Buenos Aires (Argentina).

They were finalists (12 altogether) in the Electrolux Design Lab 2005 (part of FutureDesignDays® in Stockholm, November 2006).
They didn't get one of the three prices, though.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 01:37 pm
It's an excellent idea, really. Somebody must have thought about the many times they mopped up a spill by throwing a towel over the mess and using their feet to push it around.

In the short term, if it's too difficult to put a full fledged vacuum on them, they could use those flicky roller things. You know the ones with a small brush and rollers that flick debris upwards to where it gets trapped in a chamber or on a sticky pad? I would be out looking for a pair right now if they were available.
0 Replies