Somalia

littlek

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 09:38 pm
Hundreds have been killed recently in fighting between Somali Islamists and an Ethiopian intervention force. The fighting has intesified over the last few days. Ethiopian officials say they won't tolerate a Islamist regime in power in Somalia. The UN sanction interim government still hanging on in Somalia is weak. The article linked to below says that the US policy isn't helping. Inf act, it says the US policy is actually helping the al Qaida movment.

MercuryNews

Quote:
..........The Bush administration has publicly denounced the Islamists who control most of southern Somalia as al-Qaida puppets, reinforcing a widespread belief that the United States tacitly supports Christian-ruled Ethiopia's intervention into the overwhelmingly Muslim country.

The outbreak of fighting has focused new attention on U.S. policy in the region, which Western diplomats and regional experts say has been riddled with inconsistencies and missteps. The experts say U.S. handling of Somalia and Ethiopia is a tale of flawed intelligence, inadequate U.S. government attention and overheated rhetoric, with a measure of domestic U.S. politics thrown in.

Earlier this year, Washington provided covert aid to an alliance of secular Somali warlords in a failed bid to prevent the Islamists from seizing Mogadishu, the capital. U.S. officials confirmed to McClatchy Newspapers that one recipient of the CIA payments was a leader of a Somali militia that killed 18 U.S. troops in 1993 in fighting in Mogadishu, which was portrayed in the film "Black Hawk Down".........
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,890 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 10:02 pm
One thing's for certain: The U.S. won't intervene militarily. We can talk big about the War on Terrorism and islamo-Fascism, but it will never happen.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 10:32 pm
<nodding>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 11:37 pm
bookmarking
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 12:37 am
Dartagnan wrote:
One thing's for certain: The U.S. won't intervene militarily. We can talk big about the War on Terrorism and islamo-Fascism, but it will never happen.

especially in Somalia. Remember 1992? Black hawk down? Somalia is terra non grata for americans for many more years to come. Those old images of dead American soldiers being dragged across town would be pulled right up and no administration will ever risk having to deal with that. Sad, but such is the political life.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 01:37 am
Not until someone can run their car off of gypsum.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 03:28 pm
Quote:
The interim prime minister, Ali Mohamed Gedi, vowed Saturday that his 2-year-old government would "defend the people it is responsible for and Somali sovereignty." He said the Islamic fighters should return to negotiations that were being mediated by the Arab League.

"They will be responsible for any consequences that may result from rejecting our call," Gedi said.

The Arab League expressed deep concern Saturday over the conflict, calling on both sides, "especially the Islamic courts, to seek dialogue in resolving the dispute." Egypt's foreign minister, Ahmed Aboul Gheit, also urged an end to fighting, saying Somalis are suffering from "this irresponsible armed confrontation."
Houston Chronicle
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 08:39 pm
Dartagnan wrote:

not when there is no oil involved..

and the sad thing is , THIS would be a good time for america to " go be the bully"
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:07 pm
Shewolf - is it? How so?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:14 pm
Bush is now considering sending up to 30,000 more troops to Iraq, and there is no way he can start a war in Somalia. But Iran is another matter...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:46 pm
Don't get me started, CI.

On Somalia, I - ok, stupida, haven't been paying enough attention. My first and undoubtedly not last view is good for Ethiopia.

But, of course that is a superficial take.

I had friends back in the seventies, via my medical world, who were both Eritrean and Ethiopian, hard as that might be to fathom, then.

I'm really a no-nothing on this, but can feel the panic of ethiopians.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 05:06 pm
Ethiopian Warplanes Attack Somalia

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/24/world/africa/24cnd-somalia.html?hp&ex=1167022800&en=7190c64e905ada39&ei=5094&partner=homepage
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 05:22 pm
Ethiopia and Somalia have not gotten along for decades. This, like so many wars, will not be noticed by most of the rest of the world.
CI: Have you visited either country in your travels? I was in Ethiopia in 1973 or so. I saw the spring from which the Blue Nile came. Half of the great Nile River that joins the White Nile in Sudan and flows through Egypt.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 06:47 pm
rjb, The only African countries I have visited are Morocco (stationed there in the late fifties with the US Air Force), Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, and South Africa. I hope to visit Tunisia and Libya some day.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 08:46 pm
I guess it was 1973 that I started my trek through Africa. Egypt was first. They were just coming out of another war with Israel, and there were still lots of soldiers with guns in Cairo, particularly around the government buildings and the fantastic museum. Not well displayed, but just the massive amount of stuff that they there had was awesome.
Foreigners could only visit Alexandria, Cairo, Luxor and Aswan and only by public transport. So hitch-hiking was out. I rode the train, buying the cheapest coach ticket. I, the only foreigner, got along fine with the other folks in that crowded car. But each evening, when it started to get dark and the children started to doze off, the police would put me in a roomette.
I rode up Lake Nassar into Sudan on the deck of a barge and then to Khartoum on the cheapest seat: on the roof of the train through the desert. Khartoum has a great name and a long history, but there really isn't much there. And it was hot. Really, really hot. I hung out at the British embassy's library which was air conditioned
And I stole two rolls of toilet paper from the American embassy with the Marine guard, saying nothing, looking the other way.
Some time later, not too long later, the US embassy was attacked and our ambassador and a couple of Marines were killed. The ambassador's name was, as I recall, Noel. Ironic name.
I rode the roof of the train towards the Ethiopian border. I, the only white person on board. Everyone staring at me, including this strinking 18 or so year old guy with chocalate colored skin and even darker brown eyes and hair intricately braided. Staring at me with my white skin and blue eyes and long blond hair.
The border with Ethiopia was closed due to some dispute about something. I languished around for a day before taking the shortest plane trip perhaps anywhere. From takeoff through landing was all of 15 minutes, on a DC-3 plane. Now the DC-3's were incredible airplanes but one is left to wonder whether this DC-3 was ever given the routine maintenance it was supposed to get.
But I made it over the border and got to Asmara. A fantastic small city that still had the flavor of its past as an Italian colony. I stayed there for a week or so before walking and hitching south
I visited some churches carved out of the stone (I can't remember the name of the place-something like Llubelw) and I did stand at the place where the spring that becomes the Blue Nile starts, eventually hooking up with the other branch, the White Nile, down in Khartoum.

I went on a day or so and ended up walking the last 20 or so miles into Addis Ababa. Ant that was when the reality of Africa set in. I met people walking towards me and past me heading in the other direction. And eventually I caught up with folks heading into the city with firewood, mere sticks really, on their backs or balanced on theiri heads. One day out and one day in with three days of wood.

That was back in 1973, back when I was just starting through Africa. Things haven't gotten any better since then. With HIV-Aids running rampant, with the endless fighting and the endemic corruption, and with Western countries disinterested, the plight of Africans gets worse and worse.

And tonight, this holiest of Christian nights...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 09:06 pm
rjb, Intersting travelogue on your trek that I would never have considered or dreamed of doing even when much younger.

Your's is that kind of stuff that makes great stories, because they are unique and adventurous - surviving on your own by hook or by crook. It takes guts and more to even consider what you have done.

Yes, I do a lot of world travel today, but it's hardly the stuff of bare-bones adventure. We usually stay in comfortable hotels or cabins with showers, and enjoy three meals every day - if not more. I find myself enjoying cruises more as I age, because one has only to unpack and pack only once to visit many places. My roommate and I have two long cruises already booked for 2007. The first is a 24 day cruise from Buenos Aires to Barcelona in March, then a 26-day cruise from Rome to Ft Lauderdale in November. One January 2, we'll be on a 10-day cruise to the Caribbean.

Life is hard. Cool
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 10:49 pm
There's a somalia-ethiopia time line here: BBC
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 02:07 pm
Well, thats two predictions made here disproven unexpectedly the last coupla weeks: the US did get involved militarily, and the events in Somalia did keep making the headlines in our media (over here, anyway).

so here's bookmarking for further developments..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 02:14 pm
Well, thats two predictions made here disproven unexpectedly the last coupla weeks: the US did get involved militarily, and the events in Somalia did keep making the headlines in our media (over here, anyway).

so here's bookmarking for further developments..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 10:20 pm
somalia security gap - VOA
0 Replies