Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 10:30 pm
I've been told that guilt is like a "check engine" light in a car. If something is wrong, this lights up and we must fix the problem. Basically, I'm sick of my Christian friends being so "repentant" and upset with their sin, when it is seemingly unimportant crap. Why don't we cry for something worth while?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 699 • Replies: 12
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 10:46 pm
ZAP!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 11:33 pm
Why should their attitude regarding their actions upset you?

If you believe that everyone sets their own standard of behavior, then why should they have to line up with yours?

Isn't this really about getting them to validate your beliefs and adopt your standards as theirs?
0 Replies

tomasso

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:09 am
Re: Guilt
thunder32 wrote:
Basically, I'm sick of my Christian friends being so "repentant" and upset with their sin, when it is seemingly unimportant crap.

"seemingly" is the right word!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:51 am
Guilt is some pretty useless crap, IMO.
0 Replies

acepilot

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 02:48 am
Guilt is very very good weapon. Just saying lol

If you forgot to brush your usual 3 times a day, you feel guilty and depending how much you value it, the guild could eat you up.

Your live one day without brushing your teeth, don't sweat the small stuff.

You accidently say something you shouldn't have in a fit of rage at someone you love. Well, we aren't perfect and if you truly do love that person then you're probably gonna feel a little guilty for that mistake.

Uh, what does this have to do with christians?

I think it's just your friends. Go show 'um some love :wink:
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 04:25 am
Keep your radcal pro-dentist agenda outa here!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 10:29 am
snood wrote:
Guilt is some pretty useless crap, IMO.

Have you never felt guilty when you did wrong and it motivated you to change for the better, snood?
0 Replies

acepilot

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 06:11 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
Keep your radcal pro-dentist agenda outa here!

Es tut meir leid.
0 Replies

thunder32

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 11:22 am
real life wrote:

If you believe that everyone sets their own standard of behavior, then why should they have to line up with yours?

Isn't this really about getting them to validate your beliefs and adopt your standards as theirs?

Good point...but, as Christians, shouldn't they be consumed with helping others? If the standard for behavior is supposed to be to help people, like Jesus, shouldn't people turn that energy from guilt, into something worthwhile for others?

It's not that they must line up their standards with mine, it's that it sickens me when they dwell in their guilt. I'm not trying to take away from the importance of small actions, I'm just trying to say that people shouldn't dwell in their guilt, if they truly want to do something good.

acepilot wrote:
Guilt is very very good weapon. Just saying lol

If you forgot to brush your usual 3 times a day, you feel guilty and depending how much you value it, the guild could eat you up.

Your live one day without brushing your teeth, don't sweat the small stuff.

You accidently say something you shouldn't have in a fit of rage at someone you love. Well, we aren't perfect and if you truly do love that person then you're probably gonna feel a little guilty for that mistake.

Uh, what does this have to do with christians?

I think it's just your friends. Go show 'um some love Wink

I am not trying to take away the importance of guilt (check engine light is very useful) but.... I am seeing guilt, I am seeing redemption, but in the big picture of Christian life...I'm not seeing this whole process turn about much good. Considering the number of Christians in the world, shouldn't we see more outreach?

Think about how many people you know that go to church, not think about how many actually show fruits of that faith...
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:54 pm
thunder32 wrote:
real life wrote:

Good point...but, as Christians, shouldn't they be consumed with helping others? If the standard for behavior is supposed to be to help people, like Jesus, shouldn't people turn that energy from guilt, into something worthwhile for others?

Can you think of a better way to help others than by avoiding doing them wrong (sinning)?

Can you help others if you don't avoid doing them wrong?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 11:35 pm
Re: Guilt
thunder32 wrote:
I've been told that guilt is like a "check engine" light in a car. If something is wrong, this lights up and we must fix the problem. Basically, I'm sick of my Christian friends being so "repentant" and upset with their sin, when it is seemingly unimportant crap. Why don't we cry for something worth while?

There's a difference between guilt and repentance. True repentance brings about change. Guilt is what people feel when there's something they think is wrong but don't want to change. So they just keep saying they're sorry hoping that will make it alright.
0 Replies

thunder32

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 12:02 pm
real life wrote:
thunder32 wrote:
real life wrote:

Can you think of a better way to help others than by avoiding doing them wrong (sinning)?

Can you help others if you don't avoid doing them wrong?

Are you talking about doing nothing, doing something negative, or doing something positive? If you avoid sinning only at the cost of doing absolutely nothing at all, what's the purpose of life?

You can only try your best to help someone. Doing this with care I suppose.

hephzibah wrote:
thunder32 wrote:

There's a difference between guilt and repentance. True repentance brings about change. Guilt is what people feel when there's something they think is wrong but don't want to change. So they just keep saying they're sorry hoping that will make it alright.

Good point, a very good distinction. I guess I am angry about the soley guilty, not the repentant.
0 Replies