(resolved) need help in how to use the search function

TTH

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 06:24 pm
Hopefully this is the correct way to ask my question.
I am having the hardest time with the search function. I say "I" because is may just be me. I enter what I want correctly or at least I think I do. What I get is either 32000+ possible responses or I get put in a Forum with 15+ pages.
For instance I wanted to see if this problem has already been asked or addressed. I don't have the screen in front of me so I have to go by memory. I type in "problems of search function", "search function problems", "using search", "search tutorial", etc.
This is where I get what I stated above (all the responses or pages). It is most likely operator error (me), but I can't even find where to look for the answer. I am sure there has to be an easier way then reading page after page to see if this has been addressed already. I don't like to ask a question if it has already been answered or is addressed somewhere else.
I find myself going in circles. I looked in the Forum Help, but there are so many pages to go through.
I even went to the Forum Help where it says read before using this Forum posted by the Site Administrator. Under #F, I clicked on "http//help.able2know.com/" and what pops up is "Internal Server Error". I printed that page so I know what it says. Can someone please help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,561 • Replies: 21
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 06:38 pm
Try choosing to "display results as" "posts". (The default setting is "topics," so that any thread/ topic that has the words you are searching for in it somewhere will be displayed. If you choose to have results displayed as posts, then only posts containing what you're looking for will be displayed.)

I don't completely understand your question so this might not be what you're looking for, but I hope it helps.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 06:53 pm
Thank you, I did try that, but I get put in a forum with pages upon pages of topics. How can I explain my question better for it to make sense?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 06:55 pm
Well, it just may have helped me, Soz, cuz I've had the same problem. Next time, I'll give posts a try.

Bit of an identity crisis there, TTH? I seem to recall you as the cutest little pup. Anyway, yes, you can live here, or visit as often as you want.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 06:58 pm
Thank you, I did try both topics and posts, but I get put in a forum with pages upon pages of posts or thousands of responses. I tried it so many different ways. How can I explain my question better for it to make sense?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:02 pm
Roger, yes I went from a dog to a cat and I think I will just be myself. I kinda like myself, feelings and all. I decided not to hide behind an avatar (my choice). I don't want to hide. I don't care if anyone recognizes me. They can follow, but I will always be one step ahead.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:04 pm
I even went to the Forum Help where it says read before using this Forum posted by the Site Administrator. Under #F, I clicked on "http//help.able2know.com/" and what pops up is "Internal Server Error" so this didn't even help.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:04 pm
Well terminology would be a good start... you're not "put" in any "forum" -- all that happens is that results are displayed. The more common the search terms are, the more results you will get. For example, if you search for "bush," you'll get a whole lot of results. If you search for "bush AND cocaine AND alcohol," you'll get much more specific results.

Maybe the "AND" thing will help, it's a way to get all of the words you are searching for in one result rather than posts that contain one OF the words you enter. (For example, if I entered "bush cocaine alcohol" I'd get all the results that I would if I just entered "bush," all the results that I would if I just entered "cocaine," etc.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:06 pm
Well, yes. My cats are definately their own cats.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:15 pm
Scratch that, it must've been in an earlier version of search. I just tried exactly that -- did two searches, one for "bush AND cocaine AND alcohol," and one for "bush cocaine alcohol" -- and came up with the same results. ANDs are unnecessary. The trick is to click on the "search for all terms," which appears right under the search box. That seems to be the default option.

I understand that you looked for answers to this question before posting it, but what were you searching for before that, that caused you problems and caused you to ask this question? Specifics will help figure out the problem, and maybe I can also help you find whatever you were looking for.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:36 pm
I was searching for if there is an area to let the staff know when I come across a post from a staff member that doesn't work the way they wrote it so it can be removed/fixed or in a more broader sense a suggestion thread (only POSITIVE to make this site more user friendly). I know there are more out there that feel like they are going in circles trying to learn how to use the site correctly. There has to be since I know I am not that unique.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:46 pm
OK. The information you are probably missing here is that the site is in the midst of a major transition. Basically, the guy who started it and runs it is working on a brand new, ground-up site that is not yet ready. However, his limited time and resources are focused there and not here, and there are numerous glitches and problems that just aren't going to be fixed.

For example:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2294940#2294940

(Note, I found that by thinking he may have used the word "resources," and doing a search for the word "resources," posted by Craven de Kere, and display results as posts.)

If it's a mere broken link in some text, you can probably tell the staff by clicking on "contact us" or "help" down at the bottom of the screen.

It sounds like what you were searching for was much too general to get the kind of response you were looking for, and that it was more about the question than the search function per se.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:48 pm
Well, if there's a specific post you wanna bring to the staff's attention, click the "Report" button up there at the top right of every post, then just follow through as prompted ... if you have suggestion for improving a staff-made post, just say what you think oughtta be done, and mebbe why you think that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:53 pm
On searching, sometimes I get nice accurate few post results and sometimes I get the kitchen sink.

- getting as specific as I can seems to help me

- posts instead of topics seems to help me

- search for any terms tends to bring the kitchen sink

- while search for all terms tends to work for me.

I'll agree that I've never understood those words completely (now I tell you after all these posts)
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:59 pm
Thank you. That helps a lot. I understand more now and I will wait until the new site is done before I ask so many questions.
I have one last question though. Did I post my original question correctly in the way I did (correct area, right spot)?
If you can answer that I will consider this whole subject resolved. Thank you for your help. I learned more on how to use the search properly and you also pointed out I need to choose my terminology better. Thank you
sozobe.
Roger, you too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 08:01 pm
Your initial question was a little confusing but I think you made a good choice of which forum to put it in ("Forum Help").

Glad that I was able to be of help. :-)
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 08:01 pm
ossobuco wrote:
On searching, sometimes I get nice accurate few post results and sometimes I get the kitchen sink.

- getting as specific as I can seems to help me

- posts instead of topics seems to help me

- search for any terms tends to bring the kitchen sink

- while search for all terms tends to work for me.

I'll agree that I've never understood those words completely (now I tell you after all these posts)

Yeah, thanks a lot. Very Happy
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 08:47 pm
[resolved]
I cannot edit my initial post to show resolved even though the help section instructs me to and says I can. It is not an option.
Someone might be nice enough to do this for me since I cannot.
Notice=I did not ask a question. Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 09:26 pm
Yeah - useta be different, but now you can only edit a post which has not received a reply; if yours is the last or only post in a thread, you can edit it - if it isn't, you can't. Sooner or later - mebbe sooner now that you've mentioned it - the confusing wording in the instructions will get corrected. In any event, sooner or later, a staff volunteer will mark this thread "Resolved" if you say in the thread it has been or if it plainly has been resolved - that's the way it works now. I'm guessing you feel its been resolved to your satisfaction - or at least as close to that as you figure its gonna get - is that right?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 10:10 pm
Yes, thank you. I saw someone took care of it.

I am not done with the spell check feature and it's inadequate ways. I will have to wait until the site is updated fully.
0 Replies