What kind of idiot buys a Chia pet?

JLNobody

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:15 pm
What kind of an idiot? What about a very lonely one?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:36 pm
That's it, JL. Let it out. Let it all out. I bought one too. So you see, you're not alone.

So...did you enjoy your Chia? Which one did you get?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:39 pm
Actually, that's not a bad gift. It could be a fun thing for someone to keep on their desk. Then everybody could stop by every now and then and see how the Chia garden is coming along.

And don't worry -- someone ususally brings a bottle of halfway decent wine as a gift at these white elephant things. (That's what I grabbed last time I did one of these things!)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:42 pm
(I've always secretly liked them.)
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:43 pm
dlowan wrote:
cyphercat wrote:
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:eFjsy2qMNT_IIM:http://z.about.com/d/inventors/1/0/U/9/ramchia.jpg

Silly Wabbit!!

But I guess you're just a foreigner. Don't we Americans send you any Chia pets when we're sending you money??

Isn't it food you send us?

Whoops, silly me! I just can't keep track of which country leans on us for what kind of handout, you know. Plus, you all look alike to me, so that just makes it more confusing.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:53 pm
Chia pet - only in America. Rolling Eyes

What kind of seed is used. Is it edible. Do you have to cut/mow it?
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 12:11 am
dlowan wrote:
What in HELL is a chia pet?

Here is a Chia Pet for Cat's

http://wonderfulbuys.com/images/chia-cat-head.jpg
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 12:11 am
I don't know, dadpad. I'll let you know when I find out. Holy crap, the commercial just came on while I was typing this. They're celebrating the Chia's twenty-fifth anniversary by giving away a chia alarm clock in each new box! I might have to buy another one. Or two. Hmm. Maybe I'll get a whole bunch of them and decorate my place with them. You know, like make it a theme. A Chia apartment. Wow. That would be cool.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 12:25 am
kickycan wrote:
I don't know, dadpad. I'll let you know when I find out. A Chia apartment. Wow. That would be cool.

been done kicky
http://www.framtak.com/photos/dscott/ds_grassed_window.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 02:40 am
I think it a perfectly reasonable Kris Kringle office gift.

I would find it a hoot to be given.

You're fine, Kicky.

When I was a weelowan, I was given a soap wabbit, which grew a wondrous coat of fur.

I loved it.

My doctor killed it, by grabbing it, and brushing all the fur off.

It grew a kind of buzz cut after that, but was never the same.

I am still scarred.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 03:10 am
I remember those. I used to have a kitty cat fuzzy wuzzy. While looking for a picture, I noted they have fuzzy wuzzy snowmen, elves and Santas too.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 05:17 am
I want a CHIA FACE For Christmas.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 05:22 am
Re: What kind of idiot buys a Chia pet?
kickycan wrote:
... this is a "white elephant" type of grab-bag. I guess that means we all get a number, and then we pick gifts in order. And when it's your turn, you get to pick a gift from any of the other people's gifts too. ...

This is called a Yankee Swap here. I got a mug the size of Lake Huron this time, with a box o' cocoa mix. Actually, a decent gift. However, I gave a sketch pad and the 64 box (with the built-in sharpener!) of Crayolas. Best gift in the bunch was a decanter set, most likely regifted.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 06:38 am
I think that Chia pets are obnoxious, if not downright aversive. Now, to me, the greatest grabbag gift is "The Clapper". It is a bit pricey, but hey, money is not object when it somes to giving a gift that will be cherished forever! Laughing

(For those folks in the southern hemisphere, who are not recipients of the benefits of American marketing)

http://www.youcansave.com/clap.asp

Did you know that it is practically impossible to find a Clapper at any time of the year but the holiday season? I know. I tried once. I went to a half dozen stores one year looking for the damn thing. I got the same answer. They only stocked it at Christmas time.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:11 am
Has anyone ever gotten one to work? My dad sent me one a long time ago for Christmas and I never did ever get it to work. Just tossed it in the pile of other "As Seen On TV" items that I fell for before I wised up.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:44 am
ossobuco wrote:
(I've always secretly liked them.)

EVERYONE has always secretly liked them Osso....that's why they are still around!
0 Replies

happycat

sozobe wrote:

What happens at the most fun versions (dunno if your office one will be like this) is that the unwrapping is only the beginning. Say Abe got the Chia Pet, but Barney really wants the damn thing. Barney has a candle shaped like a washing machine that Abe doesn't want, but Charley, on the other hand... and then mad trading commences to get what you really want.

a candle shaped like a washing machine??
Very Happy
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Phoenix32890 wrote:
I think that Chia pets are obnoxious, if not downright aversive. Now, to me, the greatest grabbag gift is "The Clapper". It is a bit pricey, but hey, money is not object when it somes to giving a gift that will be cherished forever! Laughing

(For those folks in the southern hemisphere, who are not recipients of the benefits of American marketing)

http://www.youcansave.com/clap.asp

Did you know that it is practically impossible to find a Clapper at any time of the year but the holiday season? I know. I tried once. I went to a half dozen stores one year looking for the damn thing. I got the same answer. They only stocked it at Christmas time.

Have you seen the Clapper Plus? It's remote controlled now!!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 07:50 am
I know some one who wanted a Chia Pet so she went out and bought it for her desk at work. It never grew - I think it needs actually direct sunlight not that fake horrible lights you typically have in an office environment. She was the only one I know who actually wanted the thing.

I also have a clapper story. My parents thought it would be a good idea for the Christmas tree lights so they wouldn't have to reach behind it and plug it in and out. The problem was anything that made a similar loud noise like a clap would set the damn thing off - whenever the postman or paper boy came by the the lights would be going on and off as the dog would be barking up a storm.

Yep, in Mass it is called a Yankee swap - we have one tomorrow. I got some Baileys and scratch tickets. I figured nothing says Happy Holidays like booze and gambling.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 10:05 am
Quote:
Have you seen the Clapper Plus? It's remote controlled now!!

Bella-I may be a bit dense, but wasn't the point of the Clapper, that you did not have to fool around with any doohickies??? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 01:39:28