What kind of idiot buys a Chia pet?

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:03 pm
I always wondered. And now I finally have my answer. Me. I'M the kind of idiot that buys a Chia pet! Actually, I bought the Chia head, but hey, it's still a Chia.

Tomorrow we are having this grab-bag gift thing at work, and they told us to buy something in the $15-20 range, so naturally my first thought was, Ch-ch-ch-chia!

I wonder if this gift is going to go over like a lead balloon tomorrow. They told me this is a "white elephant" type of grab-bag. I guess that means we all get a number, and then we pick gifts in order. And when it's your turn, you get to pick a gift from any of the other people's gifts too. I've never done one of these, so I'm not sure how it is supposed to work, really.

I have a question. Do I need to wrap this gift? It seems like the way they're doing it would require the gift to be unwrapped, doesn't it? Does anyone know about these white elephant things?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,849 • Replies: 64
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:07 pm
I've been thinking of buying a Chai Tea, but I've heard they are quite expensive and come with a considerable amount of baggage.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:15 pm
White elephant is usually some sort of re-gifting. You got some horrible present like, oh, say, a Chia Pet, and then you wrap it up and give it away just in case someone else wants one.

What happens at the most fun versions (dunno if your office one will be like this) is that the unwrapping is only the beginning. Say Abe got the Chia Pet, but Barney really wants the damn thing. Barney has a candle shaped like a washing machine that Abe doesn't want, but Charley, on the other hand... and then mad trading commences to get what you really want.

(I can see the appeal of Chia Pets though.)

But yes you gotta wrap it. If you don't want to get a box and wrapping paper and ribbon and yadda yadda just get a gift bag. Pretty much anyplace has 'em, grocery stores, Target, whatever, not hard to find.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:16 pm
We did white elephant gift exchanges at my last job. Gawd, what a riot! It was hysterically funny (of course, we all got along really well and it was a cool work environment; I'm sure it wouldn't be that fun everywhere). I hope you have a good bunch of people.

Anyway, I think (if everyone is in the spirit of the thing) a Chia pet will be great-- that's exactly the kind of goofy kitschy thing you want. One of the biggest crowd-pleasers at our last one was this awful pink sweatshirt with a fluffy, big-eyed kitty picture on it, that one of the guys got. We were all cracking up, and of course we forced him to wear this tiny, tight, cute sweatshirt...<sigh> good times, good times...

Definitely wrap it. A big part of it is that you don't know what the wrapped things are, so you can't decide if you should steal one of the other people's gifts that they've already picked and unwrapped, or take the chance on one of the still-wrapped presents.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:19 pm
I think the girls at the office are getting me a chia toupe, meaning I'm going to be sporting green hair for a few days to show my appreciation. If it works out that way, expect a picture.

With a hat.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:27 pm
Oh, come on, Roger, you gotta give us a picture with your Chia hair!

Okay, so I have to wrap it. Crap. I am so bad at wrapping gifts. Every gift from me always looks like it was wrapped by a three-year-old. Oh well. Maybe I'll go with your bag idea, Soz. Anyway, this sounds like it will be fun. This is a pretty fun group. I think they'll dig the chia.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:29 pm
What in HELL is a chia pet?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:31 pm
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:eFjsy2qMNT_IIM:http://z.about.com/d/inventors/1/0/U/9/ramchia.jpg

Silly Wabbit!!

But I guess you're just a foreigner. Don't we Americans send you any Chia pets when we're sending you money??
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:33 pm
Chia Pet commercial.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:33 pm
Feck, why didn't my piccie work? Grr.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:37 pm
Here you go, cypher.

http://z.about.com/d/inventors/1/0/U/9/ramchia.jpg
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:37 pm
kickycan wrote:
Okay, so I have to wrap it. Crap. I am so bad at wrapping gifts. Every gift from me always looks like it was wrapped by a three-year-old

Man, do I hear you there, brother. My gift wrapping looks like someone already opened the present, realized it was for someone else, then hastily tried to push everything back together in a haphazard fashion.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:55 pm
My department does this too - but there's a five dollar limit. This year I brought in a stupid magnetic desk sculpture. I ended up with a Sudoku book, which was better than many of the alternatives. At least I'll use it!

The most popular gifts were a lottery scratch off and a $25 dollar gift certificate to a steakhouse (which was a freebie to begin with.) The stealing part is hilarious.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:56 pm
You silly males need to take advantage of gift bags, they're easy to make purty. Even a capybara farmer could do it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 10:56 pm
cyphercat wrote:
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:eFjsy2qMNT_IIM:http://z.about.com/d/inventors/1/0/U/9/ramchia.jpg

Silly Wabbit!!

But I guess you're just a foreigner. Don't we Americans send you any Chia pets when we're sending you money??

Isn't it food you send us?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:00 pm
Embarrassed
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:03 pm
kicky, Our annual white elephant party is a riot. The person that picks #1 is the luckiest according to the rules developed over many years. The person that picks the first number gets to pick the first "bag," and the last choice after all the bags have been opened. However, no gift can be exchanged more than three times. The third one who takes it ends up with that person. So, you can see that the last number also has its advantages. They can pick a gift already opened or pick the last bag. It's fun.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:08 pm
Well, I finished wrapping it. All I had at hand was some plain white wrapping paper. And I totally made a mess of it, as expected. It looks a lot like something a terrorist would leave under a bus seat. I hope the police aren't searching bags at the subway stop tomorrow morning. Heh.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:09 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Embarrassed

Are you saying you're a fellow Chia Pet buyer, JL? Don't worry, you can tell us. We're your friends, and we're here for you, brother.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:12 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
kicky, Our annual white elephant party is a riot. The person that picks #1 is the luckiest according to the rules developed over many years. The person that picks the first number gets to pick the first "bag," and the last choice after all the bags have been opened. However, no gift can be exchanged more than three times. The third one who takes it ends up with that person. So, you can see that the last number also has its advantages. They can pick a gift already opened or pick the last bag. It's fun.

Now I'm even more confused. Smile It does sound like a fun time though. Is it considered bad form to try to get your own gift?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What kind of idiot buys a Chia pet?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 02:25:51