If I Hear "Holly Jolly Christmas" One More Time...

Tico

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 05:05 pm
Joe, your post brought tears to my eyes, for I too have been working in retail this season.

I understand the reason for Christmas tunes, but would it be so terrible to have music only, no lyrics. Please.

My personal #1 hate: Madonna's Santa Baby

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 05:24 pm
Anyone who survives the Christmas holidays working in retail without going insane must be a superior being.

I was at a gift shop a few years ago, standing at the counter talking to the man at the register. I mentioned that the music got a little repetitive and he gasped, his eyes got huge and he started telling me just how awful it was. The chipmunks were playing at the time, so you can understand some of his hysteria. He was becoming more and more incensed, so I started to step away from the counter, thinking that I really didn't have that much change coming after all, when he seemed to realize how close he came to losing it there in front of all the customers. Ever since, I have had nothing but sympathy for those who have to listen to it all day long.

I have a few jazz albums of Christmas music that I love and there are a few old favorites, but the cheesy ones only get more irritating as the years pass.

Joe, poor thing, come on out to Albuquerque and we'll have some mariachis over for your listening pleasure...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 05:26 pm
I'm relieved to see that no one has cast an aspersion on the doggie version of Jingle Bells. It captures the true spirit of the holiday.

Arf woof arf
Arf woof arf
Woof woof woof woof arf
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 05:34 pm
LordE, that last one was GREAT!!!

I hereby nominate Rich & Lorna as Honorary Members of A2K.
(Especially Lorna.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 07:35 pm
It's just as well, really, that I've never worked retail over Christmas.

I do remember really liking some Christmas music as a child, and still can envision liking a bit - a bit, I said - as an adult, probably because I rarely expose myself to it.

My parents had a Bing Crosby Christmas album that I liked.
In the fifties, say, it wasn't this constant thing when you went into a store or restaurant...

Mostly I've worked in hospitals and laboratories and design offices around the holidays, and music hasn't been piped in or there would have been homicidal activity, not just from me. I never minded the odd party, though.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 07:38 pm
I mean that I'd guess you probably think in terms of models and physical action than in terms of narrative osso.

(Explaining myself here instead of on the more serious thread re: dys and unfounded concerns of mental deficiency...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 07:48 pm
Oops, just caught your tiny print.

I'll think on that...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 07:52 pm
Just sumthin' I recognize in the way you post. "Kinetic" I come up with because I took some test as a kid when they thought there might be something wrong with my brain and my potential as a student (before Ritalin, thank god) to determine what sort of learner I am. Most people are "visual" or "auditory," went the thinking. I came up as "kinetic."

Anyway, it turned out I didn't have to take any special classes. But I can definitely conjure up in brain the structure of a molecule than, say, the plot of a novel I read last year...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 07:55 pm
Once in my life, just out of university and jobless, I took a temporary job working in a large retail outlet during the pre-holiday rush. (They made me an assistant floor manager; I think I was the only applicant with a college degree.)

I blame my subsequaent psychosis, evident to this day, on the Muzak that was piped into every nook and cranny of the store that season. Never again!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 08:05 pm
Hey, I worked in a deli for a while where the owner would come in every day and turn the radio from KPIG to Paul Harvey. Much worse than Christmas carols. Much, much worse.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 08:14 pm
Paul Harvey -Good day.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 08:15 pm
I differ to beg.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 08:17 pm
That was Paul Harvey's sign off line- - after the rest of the story.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 08:26 pm
Ah, I see. I generally had managed to get up front to work the counter by that point so I couldn't hear it very well.

It was partly so objectionable because control of the radio the rest of the time was the only tolerable thing about that job. That and making my own sandwiches for lunch. I pretty much fed myself for the day off that meal.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 08:29 pm
Interesting, Pd. I don't want to throw off the thread, but just this bit - I'm visually attuned, and can envision kinetic now that you mention it; am also somewhat poetic, full of word/thought play, - which is visual, somewhat aural - I like word sounds though I don't learn as well by hearing as seeing, and kinetic. Am very freely associative, I like the bounce. The model stuff I had to learn that I understood, if you follow me. In any case, I'm not Ms. Linear, though I can do that upon assignment.

Nuff about me. Will you stop those trucks honking "Jingle Bells"!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 08:29 pm
My manager used to come in from the other property and put Rush Limbaugh on. Fortunately, I had the option to leave the office for long periods of time.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 08:30 pm
Thought as much, osso. I find that it really gets in the way of communication with the hyper-linear, though. And the linear with no sense of irony? -- might as well be speaking another language. Which is why I struggled early on in school, I s'pose...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 08:42 pm
Roberta, woof,woof, arf right back atcha, but with the arf signifying hurl.

I do admit it is sort of endearing the first time.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 12:32 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
squinney and I are going caroling through our neighborhood on Friday and any of you scrooges who have a problem with that can stir your eggnog with Bear penis.

Happy Holidays Razz

At least you can sing ;-)

Merry Christmas :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 12:33 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Of course, there ARE some Christmas songs that just HAVE to be played every year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zt6Ot8WLHw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPtLtrsxzL4

and you have to watch this, as it's hilarious.......
(just wait 'til SHE starts singing...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNHDZQLSVag

That last one is hilarious Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 10:23:10