If I Hear "Holly Jolly Christmas" One More Time...

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 12:35 pm
When you work in retail you put up with a lot of things:

the customer who takes forty minutes to decide between two toasters who then returns the purchase the next day, filled with wheat toast crumbs, wearing a face that says "What? I just didn't like it. You clean it."

those children in the lumber section using a couple of 1x2 as swords while their parents (both of them) serenely gaze at paint chips.

the guy, he's one of our favorites, who is at the registers when he remembers the other thing that he needs, so he leaves all his stuff on the counter while he disappears for ten minutes, then he re-arrives, is asked "Is that everything?" says "Yes." Cashier starts ringing up again when he says "Oh, yeah, I need a small can of some paint." Then he stands there thinking that the cashier will magically know what color and if it's flat, semi-gloss or eggshell.

I can take all that, if fact, it's part of the fun of the job, part of the human element,

but

we have to have Christmas music on the radio.

That's okay, right? But apparently, there are just fourteen songs about Christmas, all of them about three minutes long, so every hour we hear the same tunes over and over. I used to love love love "I wish I had a river (to skate away on) BUT because it has the word Christmas in it the smart radio people play it ONLY at Christmas time and then they play it over and over. (Hint: it's not a Christmas song. It happens AROUND Christmas, but it's about, well, nevermind. They only play songs, they don't listen to them.

Also, Folgerberg's Same Olde Lang Syne, nice, the first fifty times you hear it but, after a while you don't get the shivers on the line "Just for a moment I was back in school."

Then comes, Holly Jolly Christmas which I hate to mention because I will be singing the damned thing in my head for the next eight hours

and I am at home.

In the quiet of my office corner.

Joe(trying to find some peace)Nation

Oh, wait, I need a small can of paint.

No, I want to know if I am the only one driven mad by the music being played again and again and again.

?? Rolling Eyes Question Question
Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,509 • Replies: 61
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 12:39 pm
I hate Christmas music more than I hate George W. Bush.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 12:40 pm
Entry #258 in the "Non-ironic reasons I'm happy to be Deaf" column...
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 12:40 pm
The quality of my Christmas experience is measured in only one way: The ability to avoid hearing "The Twelve Days Of Christmas".

So far, so good.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 12:45 pm
One that gives me the heebie jeebies is that awful David Bowie/Bing Crosby one......how does it go?

Something or other...something or other
Paa-ra-pa-bum-bum......

HUMBUG!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 12:47 pm
sozobe wrote:
Entry #258 in the "Non-ironic reasons I'm happy to be Deaf" column...

wow!

I've tried turning the radio down to whisper level or Oops! how did that music get on there???, but the owner L O V E S the music.

Joe(his office is upstairs out of earshot Twisted Evil )Nation
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 12:53 pm
Laughing

Don't like "Little Drummer Boy" either.

Right, Joe. Would you like to carol?

You can have your holly and your Mr. Pickwick. Quite frankly, they all make me sickwick.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 01:02 pm
If I could work my will every idiot who goes about with "Happy Christmas" on his lips would be boiled in his own pudding and buried with a stake of holly through his heart.

Anyone else out there feel a little sad at the end of the Christmas Carol and How the Grinch Stole Christmas?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 01:05 pm
I have a hideous notion for Revenge By Gift.

I will buy all children of elementary school age doorbells for their rooms. These doorbells will be programmed to play 25 selected tunes when the buttons are pushed.

I will personally pay for the installation.

I am a royal-quality bitch.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 01:13 pm
Re: If I Hear "Holly Jolly Christmas" One More Tim
Joe Nation wrote:
When you work in retail you put up with a lot of things:

the customer who takes forty minutes to decide between two toasters who then returns the purchase the next day, filled with wheat toast crumbs, wearing a face that says "What? I just didn't like it. You clean it."

those children in the lumber section using a couple of 1x2 as swords while their parents (both of them) serenely gaze at paint chips.

the guy, he's one of our favorites, who is at the registers when he remembers the other thing that he needs, so he leaves all his stuff on the counter while he disappears for ten minutes, then he re-arrives, is asked "Is that everything?" says "Yes." Cashier starts ringing up again when he says "Oh, yeah, I need a small can of some paint." Then he stands there thinking that the cashier will magically know what color and if it's flat, semi-gloss or eggshell.

I can take all that, if fact, it's part of the fun of the job, part of the human element,

but

we have to have Christmas music on the radio.

That's okay, right? But apparently, there are just fourteen songs about Christmas, all of them about three minutes long, so every hour we hear the same tunes over and over. I used to love love love "I wish I had a river (to skate away on) BUT because it has the word Christmas in it the smart radio people play it ONLY at Christmas time and then they play it over and over. (Hint: it's not a Christmas song. It happens AROUND Christmas, but it's about, well, nevermind. They only play songs, they don't listen to them.

Also, Folgerberg's Same Olde Lang Syne, nice, the first fifty times you hear it but, after a while you don't get the shivers on the line "Just for a moment I was back in school."

Then comes, Holly Jolly Christmas which I hate to mention because I will be singing the damned thing in my head for the next eight hours

and I am at home.

In the quiet of my office corner.

Joe(trying to find some peace)Nation

Oh, wait, I need a small can of paint.

No, I want to know if I am the only one driven mad by the music being played again and again and again.

?? Rolling Eyes Question Question
Question
you're just getting old Joe, sorry.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 01:45 pm
They started with the Christmas music at work a few weeks ago and people must have made some noise, because it lasted a day and they got rid of it, thank god!

I like A LITTLE Christmas music the week before Christmas, but in small doses.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 02:16 pm
There is a list in my head of Christmas songs to avoid.

Holly Jolly Christmas
Feliz Navidad
Rockin Around the Christmas Tree
Jingle Bell Rock

These come readily to mind, but there are others. Aside from that, I like lots of Christmas songs and listen to them the same way I do any other music.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 02:21 pm
edgar, I have many, many Christmas songs that I like as well. I have been searching all morning for "What Strangers are These" arrg by Purvis, and simply cannot find that lovely choral piece.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 02:27 pm
squinney and I are going caroling through our neighborhood on Friday and any of you scrooges who have a problem with that can stir your eggnog with Bear penis.

Happy Holidays Razz
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 02:31 pm
Thanks, but I don't drink egg nog, and I don't drink anything from a thimble.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 03:03 pm
patiodog wrote:
Thanks, but I don't drink egg nog, and I don't drink anything from a thimble.

when you drink from it it turns into a stein....... :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 03:33 pm
Looks as though Burl and squinney the cat, will be up on a hot tin roof with Mr. Claus. Razz

http://www.ultimateoldies.com/images/burlives.jpg
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 04:19 pm
This song, Holly Jolly Christmas, is ironically the most popular perennial this season, according to some poll I read.

I listened to it with fresh ears then. My impression was that Burl Ives fairly shouts rather than sings. In the era of fantastic baritones in which he recorded it, his voice is not all that pleasant. It is unique though.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 04:47 pm
I only love two Chanukmas songs. On the top of the list in no particular order since there are only two, is O Holy Night. This is followed or preceded by Holly Jolly Christmas. I always enjoy the upbeat feel good sound of HJC and can listen to it for hours. Well, at least several times running. After that I sort of enjoy Good King Wenceslas. It's a bit lengthy but has a nice sound to it.
Not a lot of really fun Dreidel songs around. Can't stand that Little Drummer Boy.

Ah yes. Holly Jolly Christmas...Everybody let's join in...

Have a holly, jolly Christmas,
It's the best time of the year
I don't know if there'll be snow,
But have a cup of cheer.

Have a holly, jolly Christmas,
And when you walk down the street
Say hello to friends you know
And everyone you meet.

Oh, ho, the mistletoe
Hung where you can see,
Somebody waits for you
Kiss her once for me.

Have a holly jolly Christmas,
And in case you didn't hear,
Oh by golly, have a holly,
Jolly Christmas this year
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 05:02 pm
Of course, there ARE some Christmas songs that just HAVE to be played every year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zt6Ot8WLHw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPtLtrsxzL4

and you have to watch this, as it's hilarious.......
(just wait 'til SHE starts singing...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNHDZQLSVag
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » If I Hear "Holly Jolly Christmas" One More Time...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 08:20:08