How Academe Shortchanges Conservative Thinking

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:14 pm
Source ... click

I found this article from the Chronicle of Higher Education interesting and quite compelling. I'm definitely going to check out the D'souza book.

a couple of 'teasers' from the article

Quote:
Notwithstanding the outcome of the recent election, in one respect, the last few decades mark a breakthrough era for conservative intellectuals. Their visibility has soared.

Quote:

Quote:
This is a disabling situation for conservative intellectuals. When a distinctive intellectual identity emerged 100 years ago in France, it did so as an adversarial one. People qualified as intellectuals by acquiring knowledge through education and extending their expertise into protest, rising above the blandishments of money and position to represent higher things. What kept them honest and credible was, precisely, their independence. What kept them authoritative was the fact that they had developed their opinions in a disinterested setting.

Quote:
The denial of legitimacy creates a distorted intellectual environment, and everyone suffers. American society, not to mention students, is poorly served when ideas in the public sphere don't undergo conceptual, historical, and political analysis in the classroom. Unfortunately, the curricular attention that conservative minds and ideas actually gather is reflexive and shallow. It's not even an adversarial relationship. It's barely any relationship at all.

Quote:

~~~~

ok, more than a couple Embarrassed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 802 • Replies: 3
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 11:27 am
Figured this topic needed a bump - it goes to a matter long of concern to me. In a discussion of entirely different context,
[url=http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=362283#362283]A long time ago, timber[/url] wrote:
Scrat, I think Bernie was on to something there. His observation re the insularity of The Liberal Media seems apt. I notice a sort of condescending, patronizing manner from talking heads conducting small-town man-in-the-street or redneck-in-the-coffeeshop interviews, for example ... a bit of scorn, tempered with evident pity ("its not their fault their poor and ignorant"). I attribute this perceived sense of elitism to the rigors of obtaining the education typically required for a carreer in The Media. The poor sods are cloistered for years in the artificial confines of the Arts and Humanities departments of Academe, daily subjected to the rants and harangues of the now aging tenured twits who've remained shut behind the ivy-shrouded walls since they discovered, in the 'Sixties, that the world is a mean, nasty place full of pragmatic conservatives and feckless moderates, with whom there is no way to meaningfully interact on an intellectual basis ... hell, some of those folks out there in Middle America even sweat when not wearing gym outfits ... and do it every day, with some sort of insane pride ... how rude.

I think that relatively ancient comment is highly relevant to the point you raise in this discussion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 11:36 am
It should also be noted that Mr. D'Souza (someone greatly admired by and often referenced by Massagato) has a long history of touting conservative points of view, and in particular, is well known for remarks which black leaders claim are inferentially racist. Mr. D'Souza has claimed that institutional racism does not exist in the United States.

The Wikipedia article would be a good starting point to learn about Dinesh D'Souza. Mr. D'Souza is a fellow of the Hoover Institute, and at this Wikipedia page, one can learn about the Hoover Institute. Both Mr. D'Souza and the contemporary Hoover Institute are seen as neo-conservative.

EDIT: The Wikipedia link about Mr. D'Souza cannot be imbedded because of the single quote mark in the link text. Therefore, to read the Wikipedia article, copy the link below and past it into your browser window.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinesh_D'Souza
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 02:28 pm
I'm particularly taken with the thought that conservative thought - taught/reviewed/analyzed at the college/university - will have to be better articulated than it currently is.
0 Replies