Why Do You Do What You Do?

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 06:09 pm
Why Do You Do What You Do?

From watching the various people of the world, One was wondering if anyone has ever meditated on a simple question, why do I do those voluntary actions? Why does that person do those voluntary actions? Or why do we do what we do? What motivates us ? Why does he or she do what he or she does? What motivates them? What moves me to brush my teeth? What moves that person not to brush their teeth? What moves me to bath? What moves that person not to bath? What move me to wear clothes? What moves them not to wear clothes? What moves me to eat that food? What moves them not to eat that food? What move me to hate that person? What moves that person to hate me? What moves me to love that person? What moves that person to love me? What moves me to work? What moves them not to work? What moves me to do my best at work? What moves them not to do their best at work? What moves me to be selfish? What moves me to give? What moves them to be selfish? What moves them to give? What moves me to want to hurt somebody? What moves somebody to want to hurt me? What moves me to come to TOL? What moves them to come to TOL?

So, what moves you to do the things that you do? Or what do you think moves others to do what they do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 836 • Replies: 7
No top replies

happycat

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 06:15 pm
Here's a bigger question: why are you you?
Why am I me? Why is my brain, my mind in my body...instead of yours, or someone else's?

But in response to your questions, I don't know why I do what I do. But if we knew why we do things, there would be no need for psychiatrists or therapists. :wink:
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 09:47 pm
happycat wrote:
Why am I me? Why is my brain, my mind in my body...instead of yours, or someone else's?

But in response to your questions, I don't know why I do what I do. But if we knew why we do things, there would be no need for psychiatrists or therapists. :wink:

LOL! Everyone should be aware of the reasons behind their behavior. Why are people not watching themselves?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 05:46 am
I do what I do because it's what I like to do.

I do what I do because it's the right thing to do.

I do what I do to get what I want for me and my family.

I do what I do to piss certain people off.

I do what I do to make certain people happy.

I do what I do to stay healthy and live.

I do what I do against my better judgement.

I do what I do because I'm a self centered prick acting in my own interest.

There are many reasons I do the things I do, some decent some not so. I'd say that makes me pretty typical
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 06:10 am
Mindonfire wrote:
happycat wrote:

LOL! Everyone should be aware of the reasons behind their behavior. Why are people not watching themselves?

One reason I'm not watching myself is that I have 2 teenagers. Very much of what I do and say is reactionary - after which I often think to myself "WTF???"
0 Replies

Ethmer

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 03:13 am

i choose

i chose to be born, - to live or die,
Even the sex, that would be i;
i chose the race, from which to appear,
Also my wealth, my health and my fear.

i chose my trials and stumbling blocks,
And the legs i would use, in all of those walks;
i chose my sadness, my joy and my love,
i chose to serve and not be above.

i chose this life - with all of its dues,
And with each dawn, again i choose;
The experiences for me that wait ahead,
To be alive, or be claimed dead.

And of the future lives i've yet,
It is my choice that i begat;
All the things, however pleasin',
That shall befall me in those seasons.

But why do i do what i do?

Because i do what is necessary for me to accomplish my goals and purpose.

0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 02:52 pm
Every action is a reaction to a past event. If someone pushes you, what are you going to do, your choice is either fight back or let it go. this choice will been a rebellion or acceptance of a past situation. In the past you may have fought back, now you may do the samething or you may be trying to turn over a new leaf. If you do nothing its a rebellion of a past offense and violent reaction.

There are really only two choices for everything.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 09:28 pm
Little neurons firing off in my brain cause me to do things in response to outside stimuli (and sometimes internal stimuli). Most of the time those neurons are seeking a feeling of pleasure (I'm speaking beyond physical pleasure).
0 Replies