Should I take this apartment?

dadpad

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 03:57 pm
ahhh sorry, just read the lease bit so my good advice prolly doesnt apply.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 04:54 pm
How much will it cost to move?
How much will the a/c cost?
Will you need to get new window coverings?
How does the travel time to work compare?
How does the travel time to 'the action' compare?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 05:01 pm
Well, kicky talks about the $200/mo savings, but is he sure that his new landlord won't incrase his rent soon?
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 05:18 pm
Hopalong wrote, "down town Hobokan"

Ripper blue, make that Holboken:

Vanguard
1201-1333 Hudson Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030

Apartment Features

Amenities: Air conditioning, Cable ready, Carpeting, Hardwood floors, High speed internet available, Kitchen: Dishwasher, Microwave, Refrigerator, Laundry: Washer/dryer in unit. Parking Attached garage. Leisure: Fitness center, Playground,
Pool, Spa/Hot tub. Entry: Controlled access, Handicap access, Convenience: Elevator
Extra storage units available.

"Chic "Left Bank" Lifestyle Steps From the Promenade-Shops, Restaurants, Cafes Theaters...Breathtaking Views of the River, the Harbor, and the Manhattan Skyline...Sparkling Roof-Top Pool with Spectacular Views."

The Vanguard is centrally located in The Shipyard, the Gold Coast's most coveted community. Located steps from the promenade, the Vanguard has breathtaking views of the river, the harbor, and the Manhattan skyline. A unique turn-of-the-century architectural design harmonizes beautifully with the architecture of the neighborhood.

The Vanguard consists of two new towers connected by the historic Machine Shop, which has been fully renovated into lofts and retail shops below. Residents benefit from all of the community's vast amenities such as the on-site ferry, fabulous waterfront park and promenade, the restaurants, cafes, theatres, clubs and boutiques, which all contribute to a chic "Left Bank" lifestyle. Starbucks, Hollywood Video, Kings, and Rite Aid and other shops are all conveniently located within The Shipyard Community.

Usual commission applies.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 05:22 pm
Cicerone, NYC rents are heavily regulated, a landlord can't just jack up the rent.

Kicky,

How did you live in NYC without A/C? I didn't think that was possible.

Could you spend sometime in the apartment on a Saturday night to see what the noise level is?

Having to walk up a hill is good for you. Living next to a McD's is not.

Don't worry about the cat. I moved with a very sick cat (had FIV) and since the furniture he loved to scratch up came with us, he was fine.

Could you get some graph paper and sketch out how your furniture would fit?

$2400 extra bucks a year is good.

I remember that live on the top floor, do you know anything about the people who will be above you. Any kids? (stomp, stomp)

What is window exposure? South, East, West - good. North - bad
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 05:22 pm
And the rent at the Vanguard is?
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 05:33 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

Normally if you gotta ask, you will never get past the selection committee. Live the life:

Code:

Bed Baths Rent Range Square Ft.
Loft 2 $2900 - $3100 1186 - 1338
Studio 1 $1585 - $1660 532
1 1 $1825 - $2500 750 - 848
2 2 $2560 - $3950 1043 - 1338
3 2 $3650 - $5500 1450 - 2431

Enjoy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 05:35 pm
Hey, kicky, those look pretty good.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 05:38 pm
Re: Should I take this apartment?
kickycan wrote:
I put some money down on another apartment today. Now I'm not sure if I should move or not. I probably have to make a final decision by tonight.

Pros:

1. The rent is over two-hundred dollars cheaper per month than my current rent.
MORE DRINKING MONEY.

2. The apartment is on the 2nd floor, instead of being a fourth-floor walk-up, like my current place.
EXCELLENT, NOT AS FAR TO DRAG YOUR WOMEN.

3. It doesn't look like there are any leaks in the ceiling, which there are in my current place. The leak spots in my current apartment haven't actually leaked through yet, but they have stained the ceiling yellow in places, and the paint is peeling. It will eventually be a problem that has to be addressed.
IF THE LANDLORD IS RESPONSIBLE FOR REPAIRS, NOT YOUR WORRY. IF YOU'RE CONCERNED ABOUT DAMAGE TO YOUR BELONGINGS, YOU KNOW YOU MIGHT HAVE TO MOVE SOON. WINTER IS ALMOST HERE, ARE YOU AT THE TOP OF THE BUILDING? IS IT THE ROOF THAT'S LEAKING OR A TENANT ABOVE YOU?

4. The apartment faces the front of the building. My current apartment faces the back of the building. Even so, this isn't a huge plus, since the view isn't really that fantastic.

Cons:

1. The neighborhood isn't as nice as my current neighborhood.
BUT ARE THE PEOPLE IN THE NEW BUILDING OKAY? QUIET? IF YOU HAVE NICE QUIET NEIGHBORS CURRENTLY, YOU MIGHT BE MOVING INTO A CRAZY-ASSED NOISY BUILDING WHICH MAY TAKE AWAY ANY OF THE PROS THAT MAKE YOU MOVE.

2. The apartment is smaller than my current apartment.
IS IT MUCH SMALLER? IS THIS REALLY A BIG DEAL, DEPENDING ON HOW LONG YOU ESTIMATE YOU MIGHT LIVE HERE?

3. There is no superintendant in the building. Actually, I'm not sure if that's a pro or a con, because I have a super in my current building who is worthless.
IS THE LANDLORD A COMPANY, OR A PERSON, WHO LIVES NEARBY? AND WHO DO YOU CALL FOR MAINTENANCE ISSUES?

4. The hill I'd have to climb everyday to get to the subway is kind of a pain.
GOOD EXERCISE, UNLESS YOU ARE DRUNK, DRAGGING A WOMAN HOME, AND THE HILL IS ICED UP AND YOU'RE NOT A GOOD SKIIER.

5. I'd have to buy an air conditioner.
THEY'RE CHEAP.

6. I'd have to make a serious decision about my cat. He's sick, and I don't know if he could take the trauma of moving again.
KILL THE CAT, THEY ARE USELESS CREATURES ANYWAY, AND THEY DON'T TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 05:48 pm
$3650 - $5500

A MONTH? farkanell!!! <falls>

4 bed home , single story, 4 ha (10 acre) of land,
$400aud/month.

HIGH COUNTRY ELEGANCE

Superbly established lifestyle property of 10 acres with Lake Eildon foreshore frontage boasts an elevated and spacious 2 level Western Red Cedar home featuring 4 large bedrooms plus guest mezzanine, 2 bathrooms, generous kitchen/ dining / living areas and loads of outdoor entertaining including spa deck overlooking the lake. Excellent shedding, (are you a hairy bugger kicky?) garages and workshops to cater for your every need or whim. Holiday or Home, this idyllic and private setting will revive your senses
http://img.domain.com.au/img/8537/2006171993_1_PL.JPG?mod=061207-213529

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2006171993#
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 05:48 pm
ehBeth wrote:
How much will it cost to move?
How much will the a/c cost?
Will you need to get new window coverings?
How does the travel time to work compare?
How does the travel time to 'the action' compare?

I've considered all these factors, and they are not big enough issues to tip it either way.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 05:51 pm
Well, I had to vote "no," kicky, because:

Quote:
3. McDonald's is right next door.

Wouldn't that attract meeces? Which would be an advantage for a stray kitty like me...but not so much for the average human.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 05:52 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Well, kicky talks about the $200/mo savings, but is he sure that his new landlord won't incrase his rent soon?

I already know that the rent will be raised in three months, when the new lease starts. I'd be taking over the lease from somebody. I am using the amount of the future rent in my calculations.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 05:54 pm
(still thinking about the meeces).....maybe I should take the place....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 05:58 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Cicerone, NYC rents are heavily regulated, a landlord can't just jack up the rent.

Kicky,

How did you live in NYC without A/C? I didn't think that was possible.

Could you spend sometime in the apartment on a Saturday night to see what the noise level is?

Having to walk up a hill is good for you. Living next to a McD's is not.

Don't worry about the cat. I moved with a very sick cat (had FIV) and since the furniture he loved to scratch up came with us, he was fine.

Could you get some graph paper and sketch out how your furniture would fit?

$2400 extra bucks a year is good.

I remember that live on the top floor, do you know anything about the people who will be above you. Any kids? (stomp, stomp)

What is window exposure? South, East, West - good. North - bad

The place I live in now has air conditioning, but it's their air conditioner, not mine. This new place doesn't have it. I highly doubt that they will allow me to stay at the apartment on a sat. night to try it out, but I'm going to go up there tonight just to at least find out what the street is like at night.

Yes, I'm going to have to sketch it out. I paced out the living area when I was there, so I can get a rough idea of what will fit where. I don't know about the neighbors, but I'm going to ask about that. And the windows are looking to the east. Why is northern exposure bad?

Thanks for the advice.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 05:59 pm
Tryagain wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Normally if you gotta ask, you will never get past the selection committee. Live the life:

Code:

Bed Baths Rent Range Square Ft.
Loft 2 $2900 - $3100 1186 - 1338
Studio 1 $1585 - $1660 532
1 1 $1825 - $2500 750 - 848
2 2 $2560 - $3950 1043 - 1338
3 2 $3650 - $5500 1450 - 2431

Enjoy

No thanks. Too much money. And it's in Hoboken, fer christ's sake! Smile
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 06:00 pm
Seriously, kicky, two hundred bucks a month less is a good deal, especially in NYC.

Did it take you the whole year to find it, or did you just recently start looking?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 06:01 pm
I have been looking casually for most of the year, but the last couple weeks I've been a little more diligent. But yeah, this is a pretty good deal, if I can live with it.

Now I'm starting to think I shouldn't take it. I don't know why. Well, I'll have to make a decision soon, one way or the other. Dammit, I hate how expensive this stupid city is.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 06:03 pm
Very good for just a couple weeks work!

Hmmm....I guess you'd be moving after the holidays? Maybe it wouldn't be so bad.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 06:06 pm
Quote:
Dammit, I hate how expensive this stupid city is.

Yep.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 10/06/2024 at 04:42:17