Should I take this apartment?

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 01:14 pm
I put some money down on another apartment today. Now I'm not sure if I should move or not. I probably have to make a final decision by tonight.

Pros:

1. The rent is over two-hundred dollars cheaper per month than my current rent.

2. The apartment is on the 2nd floor, instead of being a fourth-floor walk-up, like my current place.

3. It doesn't look like there are any leaks in the ceiling, which there are in my current place. The leak spots in my current apartment haven't actually leaked through yet, but they have stained the ceiling yellow in places, and the paint is peeling. It will eventually be a problem that has to be addressed.

4. The apartment faces the front of the building. My current apartment faces the back of the building. Even so, this isn't a huge plus, since the view isn't really that fantastic.

Cons:

1. The neighborhood isn't as nice as my current neighborhood.

2. The apartment is smaller than my current apartment.

3. There is no superintendant in the building. Actually, I'm not sure if that's a pro or a con, because I have a super in my current building who is worthless.

4. The hill I'd have to climb everyday to get to the subway is kind of a pain.

5. I'd have to buy an air conditioner.

6. I'd have to make a serious decision about my cat. He's sick, and I don't know if he could take the trauma of moving again.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,858 • Replies: 88
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 01:19 pm
kicky, Moving is very stressful. The tradeoffs don't sound all that appealing for the $200/mo.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 01:36 pm
Hmmm...yeah, I know about the stress of moving. I move a lot.

This is such a tough choice. The place I'm in now is pretty crappy, but it has one redeeming factor, that being the extra little alcove area where my bed is. This new place looks like it might be a little less crappy, but a little bit smaller and in a less-desirable neighborhood. But it isn't in a bad neighborhood. It's just not right in the middle of all the action.

Overall, once I figured out how to fit my couch and bed and stuff, I don't think it would be too much worse than where I live now, if at all. And the $200 less a month is a pretty big factor as well.

I'm leaning towards just going for it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 01:40 pm
If the money issue is on the top of your list, move. But, put half the savings into your retirement investment account.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 01:46 pm
Thanks, C.I. I could seriously go either way on this. I can tell I'm going to be tearing my hair out trying to make this decision today.

It will be a really expensive mistake if I get in there and then decide I can't stand it. But the place I'm in now is no great prize either. What to do...what to do...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 01:49 pm
usually when the cons out-weigh the pros, i don't change it...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 01:58 pm
But some of those cons are very minor, and I'm not even sure if the super not living in the building is a con or not.

other Pros:

1. New apartment is closer to the subway.

2. New apartment is closer to the laundromat.

3. McDonald's is right next door.

Other Cons:

1. Moving sucks.

I'm still not sure. Dammit.

How do I make this decision?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 02:02 pm
you could always flip http://www.clipartpoint.com/_Thumbnail%5CAnimated%20Gifs%5CMisc%5CQUARTER.GIF ...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 02:03 pm
Use a penny; it's worth that much. (A coin toss, I mean.) If you have to toss, you don't need to move.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 02:09 pm
It sounds like a good move to me, except for the part about the cat. I'm not so sure though that the move would be hard on him...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 02:52 pm
I just flipped my lucky euro (I got it in Italy!) and it told me not to take the place.

Maybe I should do two out of three.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 02:55 pm
Does the place FEEL like it could be your home? In choosing a place, there is an "indefinable something" about a place that sends out vibes, either negative or positive.

When you are there, how does the place make you feel?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 03:10 pm
Kicky, Finding an apartement for less money sounds like a miracle, especially if you're not giving up much for the less money.

I once lived in a building without a super. He was in the building next door. He was there when we needed him.

It seems to me that you want the change, but without having to move. It's the moving that's the killer.

Two major issues: The neighborhood. How important is that to you? The cat. No question it's a trauma for an animal.

So watcha gonna do?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 03:12 pm
Phoenix, I know what you mean, but I have never gotten that feeling for any place I've looked at in Manhattan. Because of the fact that I am in an income bracket that allows me to look at only the least expensive apartments in the city, it's usually a case of "yes, I can tolerate living here for this price."
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 03:17 pm
Would the neighbours in the new place have blinds?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 03:24 pm
Roberta wrote:
Kicky, Finding an apartement for less money sounds like a miracle, especially if you're not giving up much for the less money.

I once lived in a building without a super. He was in the building next door. He was there when we needed him.

It seems to me that you want the change, but without having to move. It's the moving that's the killer.

Two major issues: The neighborhood. How important is that to you? The cat. No question it's a trauma for an animal.

So watcha gonna do?

I don't know! I have been casually looking for apartments in this area for almost a year now, and the thing I was looking for was something for a little bit less rent, but with the same amount of space. Now I've found something with even lower rent than what I thought I could find, but it is smaller than I actually want.

Size matters. But so does money. In a year, I will have recouped all the money I'll be spending on the move and then some. I'll actually be able to save some money, and take more vacation time from work.

This is the first apartment that I've found that could actually be considered a "deal" though. The thing is, I do have as much time as I want to look. It's not like my lease is ending or anything. Maybe I should wait until I find the perfect apartment, instead of settling for something that is just very close to what I want.

Oy.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 03:27 pm
Tico wrote:
Would the neighbours in the new place have blinds?

Ah, ANOTHER plus! No neighbors nearby, or even across the street.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 03:34 pm
in that case, can i buy your telescope, binoculars, and night-vision goggles...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 03:47 pm
Wait for a sign. Usually, when you're indecisive about something, there
is always some sort of sign that gives you the okay, or turns you off.
So, just wait a bit....
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 03:53 pm
Kicky sound real estate advice is to purchase the worst house in best street, not the best house in the worst street.

What are the options for renovating your current love nest?

I think the advice will probaly apply to apartments in NYC just as well as down town Hobokan Alabama.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Should I take this apartment?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/06/2024 at 02:35:02