Giving credit where it's due

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 06:55 pm
There is a man who deserves a prize.
Giving credit where it's due
Muhammad Yunus
December 8, 2006
DHAKA, Bangladesh: When I stepped out of my classroom at Chittagong University 30 years ago and into Jobra, the village next to my campus, I had only one goal in mind: to see if I could be of service to a few starving human beings.
Little did I know that those walks into Jobra village would lead me to walk across a stage in Oslo, Norway this Sunday afternoon to receive the Nobel Peace Prize. What I learned in that village changed my life and the lives of hundreds of millions of others around the world.
--------------
The Nobel Peace Prize has established the link between poverty and peace, and underscored that poverty is a threat to peace. Microcredit plays a very important role in reducing poverty.

From humble beginnings 30 years ago with a loan of $27 to 42 people in Jobra, this work has now spread rapidly worldwide, empowered by the Microcredit Summit, a global campaign committed to ensuring 100 million microcredit families rise above the $1 a day threshold by the end of 2015, thus lifting half a billion people out of extreme poverty.

Poverty does not belong in a civilized society. It belongs in museums. We are committed to building a world in which our children and grandchildren will have to go to museums to see what poverty looked like.
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/12/08/opinion/edyunus.php
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 648 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 06:59 pm
Smart and wise man.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 07:21 pm
di, Some individuals do make a big difference in this world. Too many of us are tied up with our own environment and families, not aware of how so little can help so much.
0 Replies