Near Death - Asking Forgiveness from God

baddog1

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 09:06 am
Do you ever wonder why so many unbelievers, neutral believers, etc. desire to establish a relationship with God - usually asking for forgiveness - immediately before (and sometimes after) a near-death or close-to-death experience?

If yes; why do you think people do this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 857 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 11:28 am
I acknowledge that many people do feel the need for some sort of change when they are forced to acknowledge thier mortality. However I'd say that just as many people with a long history of religion find that they want life changes too, some of them often feeling that they have wasted too much of their life.

Either senario makes sense though. I can understand why either person would make the changes in their life.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 12:08 pm
Having had a near-death experience, my thoughts went to my family/friends/people I love, and thinking about any regrets I might have in leaving them. I did wish I had done more things but really even they are irrelevant. I never once thought about a God or a religion or begging forgiveness for whatever perceived behavior or action/inaction to do with religion. I was raised Catholic and I am non-practicing in any religion. I have my opinions on religion which I will not go into, but I was pleased to discover that my current beliefs were exactly the same when I had my near-death experience, so I am happy with how I am.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 12:28 pm
I can also think of a number of friends in the opposite category: people who, because of some horrific and/or near-death experience, came to the decision that there was no god.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 01:33 pm
Re: Near Death - Asking Forgiveness from God
baddog1 wrote:
Do you ever wonder why so many unbelievers, neutral believers, etc. desire to establish a relationship with God - usually asking for forgiveness - immediately before (and sometimes after) a near-death or close-to-death experience?

If yes; why do you think people do this?

They believe God will forgive them after living a life of sin, but they are misguided.

There is no repentance for people who persist in doing evil until death comes to them and who then say, 'Now I repent,' nor for people who die as a disbeliever. We have prepared for them a painful punishment. (Surat an-Nisa: 18)
0 Replies

Ethmer

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 03:28 am

When confronted with their own mortality they seek an answer that gives continuance to their existence. In most instances that assurance is only found in religion and religion's God.

0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 02:46 pm
Its a safety net, if there is no god then your safe, if thier is you still got that last minute net to catch you.
0 Replies