We Can Not, But We Expect Them To (The Super Pharisees)?

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 10:58 pm
We Can Not, But We Expect Them To (The Super Pharisees)?

In the Merriam Webster's Dictionary, a hypocrite is defined as: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings. From this definition we are essentially informed that a hypocrite is any and everyone whose actions are inconsistent or contrary to those things which they have verbally stated is their belief. An example of this would be an individual who is constantly railing against those who murder and support murder while they themselves are murdering and supporting murder.

As we are now aware, this type of behavior was and is the defining mark of the Pharisees. Throughout the Scriptures, we can find Jesus consistently rebuking them for their unceasing hypocrisy (Matt. 22:18, 23:13-15, 23:23, Luke 11:44).

Now, whether consciously or unconsciously it seems that today's Believers have become enamored with the Pharisees. And as a result of this love, they have chosen to embrace their doctrines, and hypocritical ways. And not only have they chosen to embrace the doctrines and hypocritical ways of the Pharisees, but for some reason, they are attempting to outdo them. Here is why:

According to this generation of Believers, they believe and proudly proclaim that they are no longer under the Laws of God. And as the majority have stated, the reason for this is because God knows that it is impossible for them to keep the Law perfectly. In other words, Believers are not able to stop themselves from breaking God's Law and sinning. Therefore, because they are unable to do this completely, God sent Christ, so that by his sacrifice, he could completely fulfill all of the requirements of the Law. And now, since that sacrifice has occurred, they are no longer under God's Law.

Now, this is where the pharisaical hypocrisy comes into play. Believers believe that because of their inability to keep the Laws, they themselves have been removed from under it's influence. And if removed from its influence, they are not required to keep them completely. But while this is their stance, they are expecting others to keep these same Laws. And those who do not keep those aspects of the Law which line up with their point of view, are railed against and treated with contempt, scorn and abuse. This is especially true when it comes to homosexuals, abortionist, and stem cell supporters.

So questions:
If as a Believer, you yourself are unable to keep God's Laws, then why are you demanding that non-Believers should keep them?

Why have you been made exempt from fulfilling the Law while others are expected to?

If a Believer is unable to keep God's Law, then what makes you think that a non-Believer can?

Why have you chosen to embrace hypocrisy?

Why have you chosen to become a Pharisee?

Matthew 15:7 [Ye] hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,

Matthew 23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in [yourselves], neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

Matthew 23:14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 767 • Replies: 4
No top replies

tomasso

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 11:52 pm
MOF,

I believe every Christian should hold himself/herself to the same standards he/she holds others to.

There is a difference between trying earnestly to phase sin out of
one's life (even though it is impossible to completely do so) and
flaunting it before others with no perceivable effort of trying to
control it.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 04:49 pm
tomasso wrote:
MOF,

I believe every Christian should hold himself/herself to the same standards he/she holds others to.

LOL! One could only wish that other Christians believed the same.
0 Replies

tomasso

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 11:35 pm
You might think it laughable, but I think that is a big part of Christianity!

I do also believe that God sent Christ to fulfill the Law, but this definitely
does not give us carte blanche to live any way we want to.

God told us to be holy as He is holy.

Jesus also said, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words
you hear are not my own they belong to the Father who sent me."
John 14:27

Also Paul says, "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy,
to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship.
Romans 12:1

So, even though Jesus did pay the price, out of respect, gratitude and love we are to try and live the life he modeled for us here on earth.

If this is what you are truly trying to do as a Christian, speaking out against those who flaunt their sin, show no remorse and keep getting worse can not be categorized as hypocrisy.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 02:36 pm
tomasso wrote:
You might think it laughable, but I think that is a big part of Christianity!

Well maybe for your brand of Christianity. But not according to the other brand of Christianity which One sees.

tomasso wrote:
I do also believe that God sent Christ to fulfill the Law, but this definitely
does not give us carte blanche to live any way we want to.

True. Who Jesus Christ and how did he fulfill the Law for every individual?

tomasso wrote:
God told us to be holy as He is holy.

Which would involve keeping his Laws. But many Christians believe that they they are not under the Law. And since they are not under the Law, they do not have to keep them.

tomasso wrote:
Jesus also said, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words
you hear are not my own they belong to the Father who sent me."
John 14:27

Also Paul says, "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy,
to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship.
Romans 12:1

So, even though Jesus did pay the price, out of respect, gratitude and love we are to try and live the life he modeled for us here on earth.

True
0 Replies