Got Cookies? Cookie-Scented Bus Stop Ads Crumble

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 12:46 am
http://www.examiner.com/printa-439574~Cookie-scented_bus_stop_ads_crumble.html

Quote:
Cookie-scented bus stop ads crumble
Eleni Economides, The Examiner
Dec 6, 2006 3:00 AM (19 hrs ago)

SAN FRANCISCO - Apparently, not everyone enjoys the smell of oven-fresh chocolate chip cookies while waiting for their bus.

Scented adhesive strips, applied to five Muni bus stops to give commuters a smell of homemade cookies as part of a "Got Milk?" ad campaign, were removed after just 36 hours following complaints from residents with health concerns and others, according to the Municipal Transportation Agency.

Representatives from the California Milk Processor Board, which was behind the ads, said complaints were from groups that are trying to ban all public scents, anti-obesity organizations, diabetes organizations and homeless advocates who argued the smell would leave them hungry and unable to purchase food.
Quote:
In the latest "Got Milk?" campaign, launched Monday, scented bus shelter advertisements made their U.S. debut, according Louis Zafonte, spokesman for New York-based Arcade Marketing, which designed the ads.

"Scent is a primary driver of memory," Zafonte said. "When you smell baby powder or chocolate chip cookies, everyone feels good."

To overcome the frequent blasts of exhaust and the funky whiffs that often permeate a big-city bus shelter, scented oils were sandwiched between cardboard cards emblazoned with "Got Milk?" and affixed to shelter walls.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 467 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 12:50 am
What a really dumb way to spend $300,000 for 5 ad locations.

I think some of the complaints are a little crazy too, but agree with most of them.

And I'm not too sure about the pleasing blend of aromas when mixing urine, bus fumes and chocolate chip cookie scents.

Imagine how many gallons of disinfectant that $300,000 could have purchased to actually CLEAN the bus shelters of the "funky" smells.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 05:20 pm
I saw this story before and it seemed pretty daft to me.

It's like a bunch of ad jocks got together in a room and brain-stormed some really stupid ideas and this one somehow won.

It makes you wonder about the ones that got away.
0 Replies