Gloria Estefan was in Mrs Benton's class

snood

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 05:30 pm
I have something that's been irritating me for years that I want to see if anyone on A2K can help me with.

When I was 9 or so years old, my father was in the Army, and stationed at Ft Jackson, S.C. I attended Ft Jackson Elementary School, and was in the fourth grade. My teacher's name was Mrs Benton. There was a pretty little girl in that class who I think was Gloria Estefan. I remember her name was Gloria, she already could play the guitar and sing, and she was very pretty.

I have tried different ways of finding out if this really was Gloria Estefan: Contact the school (the elementary school I talked to there was only one of three new schools; they said the one I went to no longer exists, and didn't know how I might get records), write to fan clubs(all I get are canned answers - nothing specifically about this)...

I'm not really even a fan of her or her music, but my curiosity as to whether this was the same person is really bothersome. If you wanted to find out the answer once and for all, what would you do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,889 • Replies: 24
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 05:43 pm
Hmmm.. I'm guessing it wasn't the same Gloria Estefan. According to her bio she was born in Cuba in 1957, her family fled Cuba in 1961 and moved to Miami where she grew up. Her father was involved in the Bay of Pigs invasion and ended up spending 18 months in a Cuban prison from 1961 to 1962. He was Cuban and not a US citizen which doesn't fully disqualify him from military service in the US but... he aslo had MS which would have medically disqualified him and schools on military installations aren't usually open to anyone but children of military personnel. Her mother also worked in the Cafeteria at a local school in Miami.

I don't think she ever left Miami until after college (she attended the U of Miami starting in 1975).
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 05:47 pm
Doh! But then again.. I just found this little tidbit on the WWW:

"After her fatherwas released from prison in Cuba, he joined the U.S. Army only to be exposed to AgentOrange in Vietnam and suffer chemical-induced multiple sclerosis."

So maybe.... Interesting... Wink
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 08:51 pm
Estefan's life has been filled with challenges, beginning when her father moved the family from Cuba to the United States and then returned to fight against Castro. Living with her mother in Miami, Estefan experienced prejudice but strove to excel in school. The book briefly touches on her parents: Mrs. Fajardo was forced to be the breadwinner while her husband was in a Cuban prison; Mr. Fajardo was a freedom-fighter in Cuba who, after his release, served in Vietnam for his new country. A picture is painted of a hard-working entertainer who discovered her talent and overcame shyness to prevail. The singer's difficult recovery from a painful back injury is also covered. Some words appear in bold type and are defined in the glossary. A full-color photo appears opposite each page of text. Great for young readers looking for someone to emulate.-Marsha McGrath, Clearwater Public Library, FL

Copyright 1996 Cahners Business Information, Inc.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 10:02 pm
Okay- but how would you all pursue finding out more about the possible identity of that little girl. If she was born in 1957, that would be the exact right age to be in the 4th grade in 1967...
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 10:32 pm
Hey, Snood,
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 11:50 pm
Interesting - although any records related to personnel would be restricted. In other words, I could query places and locations and specifics about what offices serve what purposes, but you would have to be on official business inorder for them to give out names, for security reasons.

thanks.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 01:50 am
This is all I could find.

Gloria Estefan Back To Top

Comin' soon from Gloria... a new Olympic theme song called REACH. Gloria wrote it with song writing great...Diane Warren

Gloria's personal favorite sport is... VOLLEYBALL! She also likes to watch baseball... track n' field...swimming and gymnastics.

Gloria's dad was a policeman at the palace back in Cuba.

When Fidel Castro took over the government in Cuba, Gloria's family quickly flew out first class aboard Pan Am on round trip tickets that only cost 21-dollars. They never used the second half of the ticket, Gloria still has hers!

Gloria's dad fought in the disastrous Bay of Pigs invasion back in the J-F-K administration

After leaving Cuba...Gloria's dad became a major in the U.S. Army

Gloria was an army brat and grew up in places like San Antonio... and Fort Jackson in South Carolina.

Gloria is from Cuba...she did not learn to speak English until she was living in the states and in the 1st grade

Gloria's dad is dead now...her mom, a retired teacher... lives in Miami
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 06:58 am
Montana: great info re Ft Jackson as the sites I googled all wanted to perpetuate the fairytale story of Cuba to Miami alone!

Snood: re the public record deal, I googled as I did based on my 6-month, very frustrating but eventually successful, search for my birth parents. I believe somehow getting a hold of the surname of the little girl through archived class lists or old yearbooks is the way to go because we need a surname in order to search public records. Now, I'm going to re-google to
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 07:31 am
Breaking News:
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 08:30 am
Update:
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 10:00 am
Wow, thanks alot everyone. Its looking a little like that little girl might have been the genuine article... Fajardo - growing up in Ft Jackson...

I appreciate the help.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 10:05 am
Well, I guess that "everyone" [harumph!] says "you're welcome" . . .
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 10:06 am
Now, snood, if you had just kept your elementary school annual, you wouldn't be making sweetc do all this work... :wink:
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 10:08 am
Thank you, PDiddie :wink: , for the support - love ya!

All I was askin' for was a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T; but, since it seems I ain't gettin' any, I won't bother workin' on it anymore . . . oh, well, one can only try, when it doesn't work, one can only let it go . . .
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 11:12 am
This thread was moved from the 'General' forum, to here. That's fine with me, but I had to search pretty hard for it, and I wrote two moderators asking what happened, with no reply.

Hey, they can move things to places they consider more "appropriate", but I don't think it would be asking too much to just leave a tag thread, saying what happened, to save the originator of the thread and others some time hunting.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 12:29 pm
Yes, Snood, I've seen that happen before. The easiest way to avoid searching forums for threads where I've posted before is to click "Your posts" in the rectangular dealie above and to your left. Very helpful for avoiding the very thing you just posted.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 01:10 pm
Yeah, but they still shouldn't move 'em without any notice, or word after the fact.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 02:05 pm
Off-topic:

Forum moderation has taken an anonymous and proactive shift. That's not necessarily a bad thing...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 02:41 pm
...sounds ominous...

sort of like Ashcroft in miniature...
0 Replies