Gloria Estefan was in Mrs Benton's class

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 05:00 pm
In regard to moving threads that ahs always been done without explanation. The level to which the membership wants things explained would mean 1000 times more explanation than actual action. Thereby increasing the work load.

Snood,

I moved the thread, and usually we leave a "shadow topic" behind a trail to follow but sometimes I don't.

Other than spam there have been very few entire threads pulled (can count them on one hand) and most of those were at the direct request of the creator.

So if you think it "disappeared" just look under your posts.

You won't belive how many false claims of editing and disappearing we get. In most cases it doesn't even involve a thread being moved (with one ex member insisting that her posts were edited, I hadn't heard any mods say they did so and I looked and no they weren't she was just mad).

So in short, threads are and will be moved without notice. Some reportedly dislike this enough to leave the site and I am of the opinion that if that is the case their stay here was pretty fickle to begin with and I have a longstanding policy not to care about the "I'm leaving" threats.

But I was under the impression that moved threads were easy to find (by doing an ego search) but if that is not so I will ask the mods to leave the shadow when they move. It will remeain for a few days to leave a bread trail.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 05:05 pm
And snood, the difference between Ashcroft and the moderators here is this:

You do not have any rights here. This is a privately owned and operated system and as such you have privilidges. Not legal rights.

Your comparison to Ashcroft is fallacious because Ashcroft is a government representative.

I am not. Government is a two way street. The site staff is frequently compared to a facist government and that is only fair if you leave the caveat that the membership is an anarchic band of outlaws that don't pay any taxes.

This is less a "government" than it is a home, that is payed for by one individual. There are no "democratic" rights here. This is private property. Sites are not governments and the membership does not pay taxes, they are invited and uninvited guests to a party and they really have no say about whether the host wants to whisper to the person at his side.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 05:32 pm
Glad you got that off your chest, Craven. I just thought it would be nice if someone said "Hey, you thread moved to...." But you're right - **** me... I can do a 'my posts' search when it happens.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 05:35 pm
Snood,

Sorry if that was grumpy. I explained a bit by PM just now.

It's not so much a "F**k you" so mcuh as a sincere inability to entertain all the demands on our time in a prompt manner (if prompt means minutes rather than hours).

I already said we'd start leaving shadow topics because that is something we CAN do without increasing our workload to impossible levels.

We have to prioritize. We do not have unlimited time and the time we give is given at no personal gain. Sleep, work and other requests sometimes take priority.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 09:20 pm
sweetcomplication wrote:
Montana: great info re Ft Jackson as the sites I googled all wanted to perpetuate the fairytale story of Cuba to Miami alone!

Snood: re the public record deal, I googled as I did based on my 6-month, very frustrating but eventually successful, search for my birth parents. I believe somehow getting a hold of the surname of the little girl through archived class lists or old yearbooks is the way to go because we need a surname in order to search public records. Now, I'm going to re-google to

Thanks Sweet. I Did several different google searches for about an hour and just stumbled upon this tidbit when I was just about to give up.

Snood
You're very welcome. I got that info in just an hours worth of search and I bet if you did an extensive search yourself through different search engines, that you'd eventually find out for sure. Sounds promising though! Happy trails ;-)
0 Replies