Distance University Degrees...anyone done one?

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 10:46 pm
I am tossing up doing another degree, or parts thereof, for the sheer enrichment value. You know, doing the subjects you were always fascinated by, but which did not fit into your program.

Now, distance learning suits me, because it allows a far wider choice of institution, and also because I am frankly too busy at work to fit classes into the day, and because I am exhausted for a few hours after work, so I do not want to rush from work to lectures.

Has anybody done a degree this way?

How was it? Did it work out? What was good and what not good?

I kind of did my Infant Mental Health degree this way, but we had weekly live tutorials that we travelled to, so it was not a pure distance thing.

Also, do people know of universities with a good reputation for this kind of education?

The university would likely need to be in Australia or Canada, or another English speaking place with a good exchange rate with Oz.....this means that I think US and British Universities would be out, as I would be doubling or tripling the fee to me by paying in Oz dollars.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,601 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 01:40 pm
bump...she said hopefully
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 12:28 pm
Bump.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 01:36 pm
Hey Deb, Just stumbled onto this thead. Did you ever find anything? Are you still interested in pursuing this?

I see ads for various online universities. Can't attest to how reputable the schools are.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 06:29 pm
Probably not way interested right now...too busy, and can't keep up with professional reading, which is also fascinating.

Yep, there are innumerable ads for online universities, and heaven knows how reputable they are.

I suspect the way to go is to research the universities, then see if they do distance stuff.
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 07:28 pm
It's pricey, but check out Harvard Extension
http://www.extension.harvard.edu/
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 07:32 pm
I actually knew a woman who got some sort of degree from the University of Phoenix. It sounded fishy to me, but the state accepted it as qualification for a job requiring a bachelor's degree, so I guess I was wrong.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 10:37 pm
dlowan wrote:
I suspect the way to go is to research the universities, then see if they do distance stuff.

There are those universities only created for distant learning like the Open University in the UK (and Netherlans) or the Distant University here in Germany (I've studied at both).

The one here in Germany is a 'real' univerity, nothing fishy about it, with well reputated professors - as is the Open University London.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 08:10 am
roger wrote:
I actually knew a woman who got some sort of degree from the University of Phoenix. It sounded fishy to me, but the state accepted it as qualification for a job requiring a bachelor's degree, so I guess I was wrong.

I just read something about how people are much less accepting of it recently, after some irregularities were uncovered (I don't remember details, can hunt 'em down if dlowan's interested but I don't think the University of Phoenix is quite what she's going for, anyway...)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 08:26 am
Lol! Nope.

As I said in the initial post, the US is out anyway, because of the exchange rate.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 08:35 am
dlowan wrote:

As I said in the initial post, the US is out anyway, because of the exchange rate.

They would be the cheapest - re exchange rate at leat from here Laughing

However, the British Open University isn't expensive at all - cheaper than the (equivalent serious) US-universities.
0 Replies