Now, About That Flawed Science?

Shapeless

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 07:58 pm
parados wrote:
Your inability to understand what the Cardiff University found makes it easy to see why you have problems with the "scientific method."

It is truly a feat to have read the exact opposite meaning into what I have argued here. If you have understood anything of what I said, then you would know that I am arguing against the claim that there are problems with the scientific method, as Mindonfire has posited. I suggest re-reading the claims that have been made in this thread with a little more scrutiny. Indeed, to the extent that cold weather demonstrably does not cause colds, my (as yet unaddressed) question to Mindonfire is all the more pertinent. It has been argued in this thread that a flawed conclusion drawn from the scientific method about evolution and global warming calls into question conclusions drawn from the scientific method in fields outside evolution and global warming. So my question remains to Mindonfire (and you, if you wish to answer, or anyone else): do you believe that "flawed conclusions about evolution" have called into question the validity of the claim that cold weather does not cause the common cold?
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 10:49 pm
Shapeless wrote:

Quote:
if these methods lead them to arrive at these flawed conclusions about evolution and global warming, then they will lead them to flawed conclusions in respects to the human body.

I was dubious whether you actually believed in the absurdity expressed in these words, but you in fact confirmed them. You said that the "method" that both geologists and physicians use is the scientific method, and as you point out in the above post, you believe that a geological conclusion drawn from the scientific method will have the same truth value as a medical conclusion drawn from the scientific method. And you confirmed it a third time:

Yes and your point? If the conclusions of one area of science is overly flawed then the conclusions of all areas of science will be overly flawed. This is because they all generally use the same methods. If all cars are built from a common blueprint and if one car exhibit's a flaw, then you can best believe that the other cars which were built by that blueprint will exhibit that flaw. So if the methods that produced the theory of Evolution and Global warming are overly flawed, then you can best believe that the methods which produce your prescription medication are flawed. Therefore, if you can't trust anything that has been said about Evolution or Global Warming, then you can't trust your doctor's prescriptions.

Mindonfire wrote:
Does it not involve observation?

Shapeless wrote:
Of course it does. But observation of what? That's what you are tellingly silent about. You seem to think that since they both involve observation, they can't be that different. You might want to look up the definition of a geologist and the definition of a doctor... you might find that what they respectively observe is quite different. I asked you how the diagnosis of lymphoma was similar to the diagnosis of tectonic plate movement, and the best you were able to do was that they both involve observation. Going to the bathroom also involves observation. Does that mean that the validity of going to the bathroom is also called into the question since it involves "the same" process as diagnosing lymphoma and tectonic plate movement?

LOL! What is the difference? A geologist and a doctor both observe bodies. Now a difference may arise when you are dealing with the competence level of the scientists who are involved in the observations, but overall both observe bodies.

Definitions Merriam Webster
Geologists: (n) 1 a : a science that deals with the history of the earth and its life especially as recorded in rocks b : a study of the solid matter of a celestial body (as the moon)
2 : geologic features
3 : a treatise on geology

Shapeless wrote:
Again, I don't blame you from refusing to get any more specific than this, because your argument won't work (to the extent that it works even on the most generalized level, which is not a very far extent.) It is what allows you to believe you are making a profound rhetorical point when you say:

Mindonfire wrote:
What we are stating is that if One does not or can not trust science and the theory of evolution or global warming, then how can you trust your doctor and his prescriptions. All of them arrive at their conclusions using basically the same methods.

For the sake of maintaining your seemingly grandiose but in fact vacuous point, you have to conveniently ignore the fact that doctors are trained in matters of the human body while geologists are trained in observing the earth. (Details, details.) You express wonder at why, when it comes to matters concerning the human body, we trust the judgment of people who have spent their lives studying the human body over people who have spent their lives observing the earth. As I said, you don't have to take my word for it. If you really want to know why, ask a geologist to treat you next time you have a heart attack. You'll quickly find out why it might have been better to trust the physician.

Once again there is no major difference between the two. Both study bodies The same methods which are used in observing one body is used in the next. If the same methods cannot be trusted to work in one body, then they can't be trusted to work in another.

Secondly, a geologist cannot treat a heart attack because he was not trained to be familiar with the human body. He is trained to be familiar with the earth's body, so the point that you are trying to make is absurd. Now, the question that we are discussing does not revolve around whether a geologist can treat a heart attack or not. It revolves around how the geologist and the doctor both arrive at their respective conclusions. How did the doctor learn how the heart operates ? And how did the geologist learn how the earth operates? And if you would honestly answer those questions, then you will see that they both learn and come to their conclusions in the same way.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 11:31 pm
Mindonfire wrote:
Once again there is no major difference between the two.

Mindonfire wrote:
a geologist cannot treat a heart attack because he was not trained to be familiar with the human body.

Sorry, Mindonfire, but you can't have both.

Mindonfire wrote:
If the conclusions of one area of science is overly flawed then the conclusions of all areas of science will be overly flawed.

You continuosly retreat into abstraction to avoid the logical consequences of your position. Again, do you doubt the conclusions that consuming drugs while pregnant will endanger a fetus, or that the common cold is not caused by cold weather, or that breathing carbon dioxide is harmful? Those are yes or no questions. Why not take just one step into the real world for a moment and answer them?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 07:03 am
Shapeless,
The validity of a claim in geology is based on the same system that is used to test the validity of a claim in any science, the hypothesis is tested and retested. When the testing first starts out it is questioned by others. As the testing continues it is either supported or ultimately rejected. Perhaps you are not aware of the arguments of those opposing evolution and global warming. They argue that there is no evidence or that there is not enough evidence. It is a repudiation of the scientific method. When questioned they can present no study or current testing to support their claims. It is all based on a negative assessment of how science reached its conclusions.

Yet when it comes to medical information, they are as uninformed in that area but are happy to believe what science has found without making the same argument of the evidence not being overwhelming. Even in those areas where the testing hasn't been as extensive.

Mindon has asked a fair question. If as a thinking person you feel that that peer reviewed research arrived at by the scientific method isn't valid in one area why do you accept it in others? I think the answer is obvious. Can you answer it?
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 10:30 am
parados wrote:
Shapeless,
The validity of a claim in geology is based on the same system that is used to test the validity of a claim in any science, the hypothesis is tested and retested. When the testing first starts out it is questioned by others. As the testing continues it is either supported or ultimately rejected. Perhaps you are not aware of the arguments of those opposing evolution and global warming. They argue that there is no evidence or that there is not enough evidence. It is a repudiation of the scientific method. When questioned they can present no study or current testing to support their claims. It is all based on a negative assessment of how science reached its conclusions.

Yet when it comes to medical information, they are as uninformed in that area but are happy to believe what science has found without making the same argument of the evidence not being overwhelming. Even in those areas where the testing hasn't been as extensive.

Mindon has asked a fair question. If as a thinking person you feel that that peer reviewed research arrived at by the scientific method isn't valid in one area why do you accept it in others? I think the answer is obvious. Can you answer it?

Thank you. For some reason he can't seem to understand that all science basically uses the same methods. The only difference is that this method is applied to different fields.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 12:37 pm
parados wrote:
The validity of a claim in geology is based on the same system that is used to test the validity of a claim in any science, the hypothesis is tested and retested.

An excellent point. Validity is ascertained in the testing. So unless you or Mindonfire are saying that geological tests are the same as medical tests--and as Mindonfire pointed out, geologists and doctors look at different data--your argument doesn't have a leg to stand on. Thus:

Quote:
If as a thinking person you feel that that peer reviewed research arrived at by the scientific method isn't valid in one area why do you accept it in others? I think the answer is obvious. Can you answer it?

You're right, the answer is obvious. Since geology and medical science are different fields, what geologists have to say about rocks has no bearing on what doctors have to say about swollen lymph nodes. Despite the fact that paleobiologists were wrong about the Brontosaurus being a distinct species, my doctor was still miraculously right about the medicine he prescribed for my allergies. Was he just lucky? Or maybe it's that I can trust one without having to trust the other because I recognize that their data have no correlation. I also recognize that it is fruitless to talk about trusting either geology or medical science without talking about the geologists and doctors involved. As a thinking person, I know it is foolish (let alone dangerous) to base my level of trust indiscriminately on "medical science" rather than on specific doctors. This is another fact of reality that your and Mindonfire's purely rhetorical model can't account for.

Can I get an answer to my question now? Do you trust the conclusions that consuming drugs while pregnant will endanger a fetus, or that the common cold is not caused by cold weather, or that breathing carbon monoxide is harmful?
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 04:52 pm
Shapeless wrote:
parados wrote:
The validity of a claim in geology is based on the same system that is used to test the validity of a claim in any science, the hypothesis is tested and retested.

An excellent point. Validity is ascertained in the testing. So unless you or Mindonfire are saying that geological tests are the same as medical tests--and as Mindonfire pointed out, geologists and doctors look at different data--your argument doesn't have a leg to stand on. Thus:

Quote:
If as a thinking person you feel that that peer reviewed research arrived at by the scientific method isn't valid in one area why do you accept it in others? I think the answer is obvious. Can you answer it?

You're right, the answer is obvious. Since geology and medical science are different fields, what geologists have to say about rocks has no bearing on what doctors have to say about swollen lymph nodes. Despite the fact that paleobiologists were wrong about the Brontosaurus being a distinct species, my doctor was still miraculously right about the medicine he prescribed for my allergies. Was he just lucky? Or maybe it's that I can trust one without having to trust the other because I recognize that their data have no correlation. I also recognize that it is fruitless to talk about trusting either geology or medical science without talking about the geologists and doctors involved. As a thinking person, I know it is foolish (let alone dangerous) to base my level of trust indiscriminately on "medical science" rather than on specific doctors. This is another fact of reality that your and Mindonfire's purely rhetorical model can't account for.

Can I get an answer to my question now? Do you trust the conclusions that consuming drugs while pregnant will endanger a fetus, or that the common cold is not caused by cold weather, or that breathing carbon monoxide is harmful?

So in your judgement, is the whole theory of evolution wrong?
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 05:11 pm
In my judgment, no, it is not.

Mindonfire, why not answer my question now? Do you trust the conclusions that consuming drugs while pregnant will endanger a fetus, or that the common cold is not caused by cold weather, or that breathing carbon monoxide is harmful? You've evaded the question several times--which, I suppose, is answer enough.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 11:51 pm
Shapeless wrote:
In my judgment, no, it is not.

Mindonfire, why not answer my question now? Do you trust the conclusions that consuming drugs while pregnant will endanger a fetus, or that the common cold is not caused by cold weather, or that breathing carbon monoxide is harmful? You've evaded the question several times--which, I suppose, is answer enough.

LOL! We thought that the question was directed to Parados. Neverthe less the answer to your question is that just from everyday observations, those conclusions seem fairly accurate. Consuming large amounts of illicit drugs is damaging to a full grown adult. So one can only imagine what they would do to a fetus. One has seen various people catch colds during the summer while the temp is in the 90's. So One can conclude from observation that the cold weather has little to do with catching a cold. Plus One has seen plenty of people who have braved the outdoors in nothing more than a T-shirt while it was 35 degrees. Those people did not catch a cold. And finally, One has seen people die from car exhaust fumes. So One would also consider the last statement to be pretty accurate
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 12:09 am
In spite of what you wrote earlier, then, it sounds like you are willing to trust conclusions that are drawn from "observation," as you put it in your summary of the scientific method on page 1. It makes me wonder how you would answer your own question:

Quote:
What we are stating is that if One does not or can not trust science and the theory of evolution or global warming, then how can you trust your doctor and his prescriptions. All of them arrive at their conclusions using basically the same methods.

You seemed not to accept my answer about why I'm willing to trust one without the other; I'd be greatly interested to see how differently you justify your trust in the above conclusions.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 03:12 pm
Shapeless wrote:
In spite of what you wrote earlier, then, it sounds like you are willing to trust conclusions that are drawn from "observation," as you put it in your summary of the scientific method on page 1. It makes me wonder how you would answer your own question:

Quote:

You seemed not to accept my answer about why I'm willing to trust one without the other; I'd be greatly interested to see how differently you justify your trust in the above conclusions.

Well all science is basically based on an observation of details which leads One to formulate a conclusion. And as the observation continues, the conclusion may be updated. So if a majority of scientists are using the same methods (observation) to arrive at their conclusions, and with that method they are coming to an incorrect conclusion in one area of science, then it must be one or two things: First, it may be the method. Then you would have to ask yourself, why after all of these years does this method no longer work. And in the case of Evolution and Global warming; why is this method not working in these areas. Why is it still working in this other area, but in this area it is not working.

Secondly, it may be the scientists. If it is the scientists, then you have a big problem. This is because if all of these scientists are as far off as Christians would have us believe, then you have a lot of incompetent scientists. And if you have that great a number of incompetent scientists in the field of science, then the world is in trouble.

So in that one area of evolution and global warming, if these findings are so greatly flawed as many Christians proclaim, then One must look at all of the other conclusions in the other areas of science. All are based on observation. The medicine that is taken for diabetes was made from observation. The medicines for aids are made from observation. The medicines for cancer are made from observation. Everything comes about because of observation.
0 Replies