Clearer Resolution from 720p or 1080I ? OPINIONS ?

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 07:10 pm
In terms of clarity of resolution
and more distinct picture quality,
any opinions of superior quality
between 720 progressively scanned
or
1080 Interlaced for High Definition TV ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,654 • Replies: 10
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 08:05 pm
Generally, given common screen size/viewing distance and available program material, a 720p picture will be marginally if at all differentiable from a 1080i image, same screensize/viewing distance-program material. At closer viewing distances, a 720p display often will appear crisper and more detailed than a 1080i image, and since we're talking about viewing, appearnace is just about all that matters.

Now, native or upconverted, 1080p blows 'em both away.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 12:56 am
timberlandko wrote:
Generally, given common screen size/viewing distance and available program material, a 720p picture will be marginally if at all differentiable from a 1080i image, same screensize/viewing distance-program material. At closer viewing distances, a 720p display often will appear crisper and more detailed than a 1080i image, and since we're talking about viewing, appearnace is just about all that matters.

Now, native or upconverted, 1080p blows 'em both away.

Thank u for this information.

My TV has 1080P resolution capability,
but I don 't believe that my cable service provider ( Time Warner )
sends a signal in that resolution.
David
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 01:28 am
Nobody sends 1080p signals - commercially, anyhow.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 01:31 am
timberlandko wrote:
Nobody sends 1080p signals - commercially, anyhow.

When u posted:
" Now, native or upconverted, 1080p blows 'em both away. "
what did u have in mind ?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 01:40 am
Some HD-DVD material, and some BlueRay material is available - not much yet, and before going for hardware I recommend you wait for the BlueRay/HD-DVD format battle to sort itself out - give it a year or so.

Some display devices are capable of upconverting lower-resolution program material to 1080p - even standard (480p) DVD or satellite TV material really snaps up when upconverted, and 720p or 1080i material upconverted to 1080;p is stunning.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 01:49 am
timberlandko wrote:
Some HD-DVD material, and some BlueRay material is available - not much yet, and before going for hardware I recommend you wait for the BlueRay/HD-DVD format battle to sort itself out - give it a year or so.

Some display devices are capable of upconverting lower-resolution program material to 1080p - even standard (480p) DVD or satellite TV material really snaps up when upconverted, and 720p or 1080i material upconverted to 1080;p is stunning.

Please forgive my ignorance;
define " BlueRay material " ?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 04:12 am
BluRay vs HD-DVD
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 08:40 am
I recently bought a 32" 720p hi-def set for my spare room. It is plenty clear to me. In fact, I find it really strange to see every facial blemish on the actors. I was told that for the smaller sets, that will be used in a small room, 720p is more than enough clarity.

It was interesting. I had rented an old TV series on Blockbuster. On the 720 set, you could see some of the distortions in the background. The DVD looked old. Last night we watched the second disc in the series on our 50" "regular" TV, which was a good one for its time, as it had 900 lines. It actually looked much better on the older set, as it "covered a multitude of sins".

When I get my 60" set, for the living room, it will be a 1080i.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 11:55 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I recently bought a 32" 720p hi-def set for my spare room. It is plenty clear to me. In fact, I find it really strange to see every facial blemish on the actors. I was told that for the smaller sets, that will be used in a small room, 720p is more than enough clarity.

It was interesting. I had rented an old TV series on Blockbuster. On the 720 set, you could see some of the distortions in the background. The DVD looked old. Last night we watched the second disc in the series on our 50" "regular" TV, which was a good one for its time, as it had 900 lines. It actually looked much better on the older set, as it "covered a multitude of sins".

When I get my 60" set, for the living room, it will be a 1080i.

1080P HDTVs are available now; ( I have one ).
However, we r informed that
" Nobody sends 1080p signals - commercially, anyhow ".
I guess that in the future
the better signal will be broadcast.

I remember how I got my first TV in 1951.
For the next ten years, we got along in black n white;
then, as Walt Disney put it,
the World became a Carosel of Color.
David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 11:57 am
timberlandko wrote:

Thanks for this information;
very good of u.

I will study it.
David