Why do teenagers behave this way?

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 09:43 am
Last Saturday, a kid, about 17 or 18 years old, was going door to door to sell a magazine subscription, one of the phony con things. I was across the street at the mail box when he confronted me asking me if I was nice or mean? A strange way to greet people. The short version of the conversation with the obnoxious kid is that among other things, I told him I was not interested in what he was selling. He then went to to my neighbor's house across the street where the husband was working in his garage. He also told the kid to get lost. He then proceeded to go to other houses. My next door neighbor, told me that the kid harassed her because she wouldn't open her glass storm door to talk to him.

Then, the kid came to my house, by which time I had come home and was in my front office at my computer. He rang my doorbell and I didn't answer it because he was so obnoxious. Then he came and stood in front of my window yelling at me as to why I didn't answer the door. I repeated that I was not interested. He persisted in arguing with me. Finally, I made the mistake of telling him to get off my property. He said No! you going to make me? I repeated two more times for him to get off my property. Finally he walked away cursing, and calling me an old hag.

A little later, I talked to my neighbor and told him I was concerned that this kid was nuts enough to do something to my home or my dogs.

On Monday afternoon, about 3:30, I suddenly heard a loud crash of breaking glass. Fortunately, about ten minutes before, I had put the dogs outside in the back yard. Dolly and Madison usually sit on the window perch I made for them so they could see the neighborhood. If they had been in their usual spot, they would have been seriously cut by the falling glass. The blow was so hard the glass was thrown clear across the room and into the hall. I couldn't find a rock or anything so I assume they used a bat or something to be able to swing so high and so hard.

I called the police and the officer took the report and said not much could be done as I didn't see them actually break the window. But if the kid ever came back on my property, he could be arrested and charged with trespass because I had ordered him to stay off my property.

Then I went out to the side street to ask some of my neighbors who were in their front yards if they had seen anyone running from my house. Two people that I talked to said they saw three kids, a girl and two boys. They described them and their clothes, and the three different directions they were running. I recognized the description of the obnoxious kid but the others were unknown to me.

Then I called my son for help. He drove the twenty miles, but called me from his car and I told him what I had learned from the neighbors. Before he got to my house, he drove through the apartment complex about four blocks from my house and saw three kids standing outside talking and laughing. He wrote down the unit number and then came to my house. He and I got in my car and again drove to the unit where my son had seen the kids. They were still there, but it was getting dark and hard to tell if it was them. But one of the kids had black hair, a black goatee and wearing a black jacket as described by my neighbors. The girls also resembled their description. The other kid had his blue jacket hood over his head and I couldn't see his face, but his over weight build resembled the obnoxious kid.

My son then taped cardboard over the broken part of the window and worked for nearly an hour to pick up all of the broken glass. Then he surveyed all my windows to be sure they were all locked. My son is also looking for a window replacement person to replace my window glass. At least the frame is intact so only the glass needs replacement.

My son was really angry and wanted to confront the kids. The guys he works with were all ready to come down and confront kids. I pleaded with my son not to get involved and promised I would call my retired police captain friend. My friend recommended a local security service operated by retired police officers, who will come to my house next Tuesday.

My friend also referred me to the police captain for my area, who is a personal friend of his. I thought the best punishment and lesson for these kids is to have them and their families evicted from their apartments for their bad behavior and harassment of the neighborhood. My friend agreed and said they've probably done other vandalism besides what they did to me.

I have wonderful neighbors who really look out for me. Even the teenagers came to talk to me to see if they recognized any of the three kids who vandalized my home. Everyone was so kind.

The scariest thing about this episode is how close my dogs came to being injured. That's what shook me up the most.

Life continues to be interesting.

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,277 • Replies: 21
No top replies

martybarker

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 03:04 pm
Oh, that is terrible. What is more terrible is that they probably were raised by parents who didn't care enough to teach them good values.

My kids had 3 snow days this week and were home alone when they saw a older teen walking by our house and appeared to by looking to see if anyone was home. They watched him run up and grab their sled and run down the street. Down the street is a deadend culdesac that has great sledding hills. I immediately called my neighbor who is our emergency contact for when the kids are home alone.(they're teens too but younger)
He was kind enough to put on his coat, walk down the hill and ask the kid for our sled back. Of course the kids didn't know what he was talking about until my neighbor told him that he actually saw him take the sled. He fessed up but my kids were afraid of retaliation. Fortunately nothing further happened.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 03:07 pm
That's scary, BBB. You had to deal with earlier vandalism too, right... a bench stolen, and graffiti or something? (Sorry I don't remember details.)

Hope this is resolved to everyone's satisfaction. (Well, not the troublemaker's. Brat.)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 03:24 pm
Arg.....next time, instead of greeting him at the door with a stern look on your face, greet him with the flat side of a shovel.

What an awful thing....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 07:10 pm
Oh, BBB! How awful! I'm glad that you and the doggies weren't hurt!

About the title of the thread...

Teenagers do not behave this way. Criminals behave this way. Call your police friend, and prosecute them to the full extent of the law.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 07:26 pm
I agree this is terrible. At times like this I can understand a citizens right to bear arms. Your life was endangered as well!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 07:31 pm
Hi, BBB, you already know I think this is wretched and am glad you have an idea of whom to talk to..

trouble is, neighborhoods, as you know, are shut down at some sort of equilibrium of protectiveness and fear. These kids seem an isolated stupid group. Of course I am and trust you are against something like beating them up (what is that about, from your son?).

trouble is, identification and testifying may only get them probation or whatever is the forerunner of that. So then you get madder kids.
With any luck, they'll move along. My psychopathic neighbor did move along, so I know it's possible.

Takes a neighborhood, not just one person, to begin to deal with these things.. stones through windows are past pranks.
Gotta keep it above the big fear level, and have the neighborhood really doing that watching stuff. Once a neighborhood turns to fear, they don't stand up, and so it goes.

I see I haven't mentioned that I would want all these kids in jail. Noooooo!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 10:17 am
Osso
Osso, my son's reaction was emotional protective response; someone attacked his mom. What surprised me was the response of his co-workers who wanted to come over in masse to confront the kids. Strange as it may seem, I was more upset about the close call my dogs had from falling glass injury. Oh, us dog lovers. We are weird.

We don't need anymore kids in jail. If they've been doing a lot of vandalism, as we suspect, my inclination to try to have them evicted from their apartments seemed appropriate. It gets them out of our neighborhood. It alerts their parents to the problems their kids are causing and the consequences of their behavior.

I've had more than my share of vandalism since I purchased my home in October 2002. I have a corner lot, which seems to make my home a target. Sic months after moving in, a roaming band of kids were randomly breaking car and house windows all over the west side. My home was one of among over fifty targets. They eventually were caught and I was invited to participate in Albuquerque's juvenile diversion program because of my history of being one of the originators of the American Arbitration Association's community dispute programs in California.

Earlier this summer, kids went on a rampage of tagging houses and fences with red paint. One of my fences were painted. The City painted over the red paint. One of the kids was identified. He was not from our neighborhood.

Two months ago, someone stole my large wrought iron fence in my front yard. Don't know who did that.

What is sad is that mine is a really nice neighborhood and lovely well-kept houses and yards. The problems seems to be the large apartment complex about a half-mile away. It is an attractive, well taken care of complex. The rents are a lot less expensive than house rent.

We have an informal neighborhood watch program in my neighborhood. We watch out for each other. People seem to be especially kind to me, probably because I'm old, disabled and live alone. My contribution is that I'm home most of the time and can observe what happens on my street. I'm trusted by my neighbors. I have the key to my neighbor's house so her children can get inside after school when they've forgotten to carry their keys. My neighbor across the street has a key to my house in case of an emergency (if I fall and can't get up, etc.) I call my neighbors at work if their security alarms go off for one reason or another. If any of us forget to close our garage doors, we will get a phone call or a knock on the door to remind us to close the door.

My neighboring teenagers are thoughtful. They often wheel my garbage can to and from the curb on collection day. I often find my newspaper at my front door where they've brought it from my slanted driveway. My neighbors help me inside my home when I can't reach something that needs fixing, etc. They even catch my dogs Dolly and Maddy when they are having too much fun playing and don't want to come back inside. I try to respond to everyone's kindness in small ways, but can never repay such caring neighbors.

This is why everyone is so upset by what is happening from outside our neighborhood.

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 10:22 am
I sympatize, BBB. I have had ongoing problems with teenagers for some years.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 10:25 am
I see I worded that in an odd way - I really meant I wouldn't want to see the kids in jail/detention.

Glad you and your neighbors have such connections, that's wonderful.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 06:36 pm
Re: Why do teenagers behave this way?
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
... Then he came and stood in front of my window yelling at me as to why I didn't answer the door. I repeated that I was not interested. ...

First of all, B, I'm sorry to read of your troubles. I can sympathize. My wife and I live in a family townhouse complex (although not too many kids here anymore) and haven't had any vandalism damage, but just stupid harrassment. I won't go into all the details.

As to not answering your door when someone is knocking or ringing the bell, that is your priviledge. There's nothing to say that you must see who's at the door just because you're home, no more than you must pick up the phone if you get a call.

We frequently ignore our door bell, but it amazes me the persistence of some.

In my previous job as a meter reader, I've noticed that many more folks are installing closed circuit cameras on their property. I've often been tempted, but have resisted so far.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 07:14 pm
B, in another thread, we were talking about snakes. roger came up with this little idea Very Happy :

roger wrote:
Don't need a snake. Just get a glassed in cage with rattlesnake warnings on it. Make sure the glass is broken.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 06:25 am
I'm sorry to hear your troubles BBB, that can be frightening.

I know this is after the fact, but sometimes the best way to avoid confrontation is to avoid it.

You did right by not answering your door. When the kid came to the window, I personally would have glanced at him then, so he could see, pick up the phone, call the police and described him as a trespasser.

Well, that's what a nice person could do. Actually if it was me and someone was standing outside the window staring in, I would have picked up my revolver and, without pointing at him, let him watch me cock it, then ask him through the window, if he was still stupid enough to be standing there...."You were saying..."?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 09:19 am
chai tea
chai tea, good advice. I wouldn't have a gun in my house. I'm so old I would probably be shot with it.

The only time I used a gun to defend myself was when I was 18 and was walking home to my house. A man, who looked 40 to 50 years old, followed me. I managed to get up the stairs and into my house and locked the door. The man then started testing the windows and doors all the way to my back yard, where the rear door was not locked. I beat him to the door and locked it. Then, I ran to the bedroom and got my ex-paratrooper husband's Lugar, a WWII Battle of the Bulge souvenir. I tried to put the clip in the handle and cock the gun, but I wasn't strong enough and lacked training (my shaking hands didn't help either.) I ran to the window where the man was, covered the empty gun handle with my hands and aimed it at him. He got the message and ran off down the street. I must have shook for an hour because I knew the guy was intent on rape and who knows what else.

Now, if I'd had my tournament bow and arrows, I could have shot him in the gut. Bulls eyes at 50 yards were easy for me with my 60-pound pull bow, which my father made, and my arrows, which I made. I still can recall the smell of burning chicken feathers in our basement workshop.

BBB
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 10:35 am
well, there you go....get yourself a cross bow. I'd skidaddle from that too.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 11:22 am
You might wish to post "no trespassing" and "no soliciting" signs.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 11:24 am
One of the latest "marketing techniques" these scammers use is to stick out their hand and try to force you to shake it. It's a forced partnership kind of deal, and if you don't do it then they accuse you of racism.

Uh, no... I'm just obsessive compulsive....
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 11:34 am
Gangs
A police officer recently told me that they are observing southern California gangs moving to other states because of the gang eradication laws and more action by law enforcement. There is some evidence of an increase of gangs from California in New Mexico. Long overdueto toughen our gang control laws here.

Have any of your states experienced gang migration from California?

BBB
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 11:53 am
Sorry to hear you've had all this happen to you, BBB.

You saying how you were surprised at the reaction of your son's co-workers reminded me of when I was quietly drinking a beer one evening, in the "Cat and Fiddle" pub. The pub was opposite a well used Rugby grounds, and the whole "pack" were standing around at the bar, enjoying a beer after their weekly training session.
A small, elderly lady came walking in, went quietly up to the Landlord and said "I think there's a burglar in my front room".

"Which house is it, Missus" piped up one broken nosed rugby guy.

"The one with the open front door" she replied.

I've never seen a pub empty so fast. Apparently, they (about twenty of the buggers) chased him across some railway tracks, through brambles, across a fast flowing stream and about two miles of boggy ploughed farmland before they caught him.

He moved out of our village, soon after that.

PS......BBB, get yourself a digital camera, and always keep it to hand. You'll be amazed how many times it'll come in handy, especially in these type of incidents.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 11:56 am
The digital camera is an excellent idea!

Shoot a picture, instead of a gun....
0 Replies