Seperation Of Cross From Church?

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 10:51 pm
Thae lie of seperation of church & state isn't good enough it seems, for some left wing anti-Christian moonbats.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53002
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 687 • Replies: 10
No top replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:25 am
Many students & alumni alike are fighting this evil, 5,000 have now signed a petition to get the Cross back to it's rightful place.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:39 am
Quote:
Williamsburg

W&M says cross in chapel bothered many
But a group asking for its return says it has found one letter of complaint.

BY CAROL SCOTT
223-5686
November 28, 2006

WILLIAMSBURG -- Students, professors and staff members told College of William and Mary President Gene Nichol that they were uncomfortable with the cross in Wren Chapel long before he decided to remove it from permanent display, a spokesman said.

"The president has heard from a number of people over the past year," William and Mary spokesman Brian Whitson said Monday. He said he didn't know an exact number.

Nichol decided in October to remove the century-old cross from permanent display on the altar of the Wren Chapel, saying he wanted to make the space welcome to students of all faiths. The cross, which has been on the altar since the 1930s, is stored in a sacristy and can be returned to the altar for Christian services. The decision has prompted passionate debate, both supporting and decrying the decision.

On Monday, a group of students and alumni called SaveTheWrenCross.org called again for the cross to be returned to the altar. They said that when they asked for letters written to Nichol with concerns about the cross's display, their Freedom of Information Act request revealed one letter. The group's online petition against Nichol's decision had more than 5,100 signatures on Monday evening.

Most of the conversations Nichol had with people concerned about the cross were in person, Whitson said. Some people talked to Nichol about the cross after he wrote a guest column in the student publication The DoG Street Journal, mentioning the chapel, Whitson said. Some staff members have heard concerns about the cross in the Wren Chapel for decades, he said.
Source
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:45 am
I think it's pathetic that a religious symbol can't even be displayed in a church. I couldn't believe it when I first heard the story. I realize that there are people that honestly believe that there is a Constitutional seperation of church & state, but seperation of a religious symbol from church?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:49 am
DoG Street--that took me back. DoG Street (Duke of Gloucester Street) is the main drag in colonial Williamsburg. In the early 70s, we used to get stoned, and sit on DoG Street, and goof on the tourists. We had a big time.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 09:23 am
I've always regarded the cross as a symbol of pain and suffering. Call me a left wing lunatic but that's not the kind of thing I would want to worship. Judging from the priest and minister sex scandals it doesn't have much to do with anything anyway.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 09:48 am
Just curious Madam,

Can you understand why some college students wouldn't want a cross on this altar?

Do you believe that good people can't disagree with you? The term "anti-Christian" moonbat is a little strong... especially if you haven't taken the time to understand their perspective.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 12:21 pm
Well, madam, Let us look at it another way. The room is a chapel, meant for reflection of all kinds, not a church. How would YOU feel if there were a Star of David or an Islamic Crescent at the front of that room?
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 07:35 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Well, madam, Let us look at it another way. The room is a chapel, meant for reflection of all kinds, not a church. How would YOU feel if there were a Star of David or an Islamic Crescent at the front of that room?

How should she feel? Angered,mocked,threatened,belittled, discriminated......what?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 07:46 pm
Re: Seperation Of Cross From Church?
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Thae lie of seperation of church & state isn't good enough it seems, for some left wing anti-Christian moonbats.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53002

Did you mean: separation?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 07:53 pm
I wish I could remember which writer talked about "Crosstians". He wished those who identify themselves as Christians would focus more on Christ and his teachings (think sermon on the mount) and less on the crucifixion.
0 Replies