a quick question for mindonfire

rockpie

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 05:54 am
how can god be omnipotent?

in the bible, hebrews 6:13,18, it states 2 things that god can NOT do.

1. god cannot lie.
2. god cannot ask the advice of a being more intelligent than god.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 750 • Replies: 10
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 06:45 am
Well we can scrap the second one, because, being omnipotent, there is no more intelligent being.

Hey, maybe we can scrap the first one too. Because she's omnipotent when she tells a lie the universe rearranges itself to make it truth.

Or are we playing that old thought game - could God make a rock so heavy he couldn't lift it?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 07:05 am
God can't lie?

Nonsense.

1 Kings 22:22, 23
And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so.

Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.

Jeremiah 4:10
Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! surely thou hast greatly deceived this people and Jerusalem, saying, Ye shall have peace; whereas the sword reacheth unto the soul.

I find this next one interesting. God sends a lie to test the people to see if they are good or bad. When I read this I am reminded of a conversation I had with a Seven Day Adventist about evolution. She said the fossils of dinosaurs were put in the earth by God to test the faith of the people. If you believed in the Bible as Gods word and literal truth then you would see the fossils as false. If not you would deny the written word, believe in evolution and be condemned to hell for eternity.

2 Thessalonians 2:11,12
And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 08:41 am
that's just what hebrews says. and hingehead, if there is no being more inteligent than god, thats why he can't do it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:18 pm
Re: a quick question for mindonfire
rockpie wrote:

1. god cannot lie.
And how is that inconsistent with omnipotence?
0 Replies

kevnmoon

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 06:45 pm
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 07:23 pm
xingu demonstrates that when god said he could not lie, he was lying. So in that contect, you can scrap number one....it's a lie.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 04:29 am
but surely if god is omnipotent then he can do anything. for example god can commit suicide, he can paint a ball so that it is white all over and black all over at the same time, etc. but the bible says he can't lie or ask advice of a being more intelligent than god. so if god cannot do those 2 things, he cannot do everything, so how can he be omnipotent.

if god can lie, then he is sinning, why would god sin? why would we follow a god that does what he tells us not to do?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 04:56 am
rockpie wrote:
if god can lie, then he is sinning, why would god sin? why would we follow a god that does what he tells us not to do?

You mean kill innocent children, slaughter a whole tribe except for the young virgins so they may be given to God's soldiers?

Good question, why do Christians follow a God who behaves in a manner we would find unacceptable in humans?
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 09:39 pm
Re: a quick question for mindonfire
rockpie wrote:

1. god cannot lie.

Well for starters God cannot lie because everything he says exists. It may not exist in your current dimension but it exists nonetheless.
0 Replies

Ethmer

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 03:39 am

om·nip·o·tent (ŏm-nĭp'ə-tənt)
adj.

Having unlimited or universal power, authority, or force; all-powerful.

Who says God is omnipotent?

God exists outside of the universe and time and does not meddle in the affairs of the universe.

It is only those who fall under the spell of the Bible who, because of man's need for a supreme father figure, place God within the universe in an active manner.

0 Replies