Terry

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 10:19 am
real life wrote:
You have argued repeatedly that the unborn is not a human being until he is self aware.

But now you say that the body (the container) is all there is of human life.

If , once having a body, one is as human as one can be, then why is self awareness required?

I have never said that a fetus is not alive. But its body is not that of a human being until the brain develops to the point that it can begin generating the required self-awareness, or "soul." The soul/self-awareness is not something separate from the body that is flits in from some other dimension or is bestowed by a deity. It appears when synaptic connections are made between the brainstem, thalamus, and cortex and neurological impulses (brain waves) become patterned. An analogy: electrical impulses zip around in your computer and their net effect is to make pictures on your screen. A circuit diagram next to chunks of silicon, plastic and metal isn't a computer. Even after you fabricate all of the components to spec, if the keyboard, CPU and memory aren't connected, all you get is a blank screen.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 10:24 am
pararover wrote:
C'mon guys, there's consciousness even in the electron (refer to Young's Double Slit Experiment using an electron beam - http://www.upscale.utoronto.ca/GeneralInterest/Harrison/DoubleSlit/DoubleSlit.html). Also please read "The Dancing Wu Li Masters" by Gary Zukav. Somehow, even an electron seems to be aware what is in front of it...somehow it is 'conscious' and hence 'makes' a different choice in different circumstances.
Life is everywhere, it need not always manifest itself in flesh and blood, but it may be present even in silicon and steel.
The human body itself is not a single entity, there are millions, no billions of organisms sustaining within the human body. Just because we do not perceive them does not mean that they do not exist.

Electrons are not conscious. They do not make conscious "choices."
Silicon and steel are not alive, in any sense of the word.
The human body contains billions of living cells, many of which are detrimental to our continued health, but NONE of them are individually conscious.

Just because you imagine something does not mean it exists.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 10:57 am
Quote:

What exactly then are 'synapses' particularly 'brain synapses'. Are they not necessary for consciousness? How else would we think?

Quote:
The human body contains billions of living cells, many of which are detrimental to our continued health, but NONE of them are individually conscious.

This implies that consciousness is extrinsic.

Quote:
Just because you imagine something does not mean it exists

How true
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:48 am
Synapsesare the junctions between neurons. Yes, they are required for consciousness, because they are the connections in the neural network that produces it.

Consciousness is not extrinsic to, it is non-existent in individual cells and inorganic matter. Consciousness is not some nebulous substance or magical force inherent in life, it is the result of neural activity in specific brain structures. Atoms, molecules, and single-cell organisms do not have brains, and it is simply not possible for them to be conscious.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:34 pm
Current research says ....

Quote:
Public release date: 21-Nov-2006
[ Print Article | E-mail Article | Close Window ]

Lee Siegel
[email protected]
801-581-8993
The University of Utah

The Brain Institute at the University of Utah
Proteins anchor memories in our brain
Math study: Holding nerve-signal receptors in place is crucial
University of Utah mathematician Paul Bressloff has completed a study suggesting that our memories are held in our brains with the help of proteins that serve as anchors for other...
Click here for more information.

A University of Utah study suggests that memories are held in our brains because certain proteins serve as anchors, holding other proteins in place to strengthen synapses, which are connections between nerve cells.

"The essential idea is that synapses are in a constant state of flux, so how can they be the seat of memories that can last a lifetime?" says mathematics Professor Paul Bressloff, a member of the Brain Institute at the University of Utah. "Part of the answer is that there are anchors inside the synapse that keep proteins in place, and these proteins help determine how strong a synapse is, which in turn contributes to forming and retaining memories."

The research is relevant not only to how memory and learning work, but to Alzheimer's disease, which is believed to involve, at least in part, a breakdown in the normal movement of proteins within synapses.

The study will be published Wednesday, Nov. 22, 2006, in The Journal of Neuroscience. Bressloff conducted the research with Berton Earnshaw, a doctoral student in mathematics. It was funded by the National Science Foundation.

Bressloff says the big debate about consciousness is, "Can it be explained simply in terms of a bunch of nerve impulses in the brain? In my opinion, the answer has to be yes" - an answer reinforced by his findings.

"Memories, behavior, feelings all are determined by patterns of nerve impulses in the brain," he adds. "If you change the pattern of nerve impulses, then that changes the memories, behavior and feelings. … What determines that pattern of nerve impulses is a mixture of stimuli we are receiving from the outside world and the strength of connections between nerve cells."

"Our knowledge and memories are determined by these connections in the brain. Who we are is determined by the strength of connections between neurons in the brain."

The Anatomy of Memory and Learning

A synapse is the junction between nerve cells or neurons. The synapse includes three parts: the end or "axon" of the upstream nerve cell, the microscopic gap between nerve cells, and a mushroom-shaped "dendritic spine," which is part of the downstream nerve cell.

What we learn and hold in our memory is believed to be distributed across many synapses, Bressloff says. Some memories, such as a person's face, may be held by just a few synapses, while other memories may be distributed across a large number, he adds.

While a nerve cell has only one axon to transmit outgoing signals, it has numerous structures called dendrites, which are like branches of a tree. Each dendrite, in turn, branches into twig-like dendritic spines. A single nerve cell may have 10,000 dendritic spines, and each spine is part of a synapse. So a single nerve cell can receive signals from 10,000 other nerve cells.

Nerve cells fire electric impulses. When an electrical nerve signal from one nerve cell arrives at the synapse, it triggers the release of chemicals called neurotransmitters. Those chemicals travel across the synapse and attach or "bind" to proteins on the dendritic spine that are called receptors.

One of the most important neurotransmitters is named glutamate, and it binds to proteins known as "AMPA receptors," which are embedded in the dendritic spines on the receiving end of nerve cells. The AMPA receptor proteins are held in the membrane by other proteins called "scaffolding proteins." Bressloff says AMPA is one of two key nerve-signal receptors known to "play a crucial role in learning and memory."

Earlier research indicates learning and memory depend on the strength of synapses between nerve cells. Bressloff says a synapse's strength depends not only on how much neurotransmitter is released by the upstream nerve cell, but on other factors, including the number of receptors like AMPA.

Source
0 Replies

pararover

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 06:53 am
Terry wrote:

Just because you imagine something does not mean it exists.

It is not me who is saying that electrons make choices, it is the experimental evidence. Keep a single slit in front of a beam of electrons and they behave as particles. Keep a double slit and they behave as waves. How did the electrons 'know' if there is a single slit or a double slit in front of them? Why did they 'choose' to behave differently in each case?
Surely there must be a consciousness that governs the way the electrons exist.
Billions of cells apart, it was the billions of parasitic life that live within us...the bacteria in our stomach that help us digest our food, for example...thats what I was talking about.

There is consciousness in EVERYTHING, even in a mineral.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 10:28 am
Gelisgesti wrote:
pararover wrote:
LIFE is CONSCIOUSNESS

I'm afraid this path leads directly to the chicken or egg problem.

Neologist, do you talk to your tomatoes?
Shades of Little Shop Of Horrors Smile

Easy answer. The egg came first. Dinosaurs and other creatures laid eggs long before chickens. It's only when we have tunnel vision that we don't see that the answer is all too often not such a linear progressino of thought.

In fact the only way to make my answer wrong is to change the question. That game is also all too familiar. lol.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 10:48 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Gelisgesti wrote:
pararover wrote:
LIFE is CONSCIOUSNESS

I'm afraid this path leads directly to the chicken or egg problem.

Neologist, do you talk to your tomatoes?
Shades of Little Shop Of Horrors Smile

Easy answer. The egg came first. Dinosaurs and other creatures laid eggs long before chickens. It's only when we have tunnel vision that we don't see that the answer is all too often not such a linear progressino of thought.

In fact the only way to make my answer wrong is to change the question. That game is also all too familiar. lol.

Nope .... had to be the chicken. the egg had no legs so it could cross nothing.
This is a perfect example why you should not count your chickens before you are sure they are not ducks....
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 11:16 am
LOL
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 12:31 pm
Terry wrote:
Synapsesare the junctions between neurons. Yes, they are required for consciousness, because they are the connections in the neural network that produces it.

Consciousness is not extrinsic to, it is non-existent in individual cells and inorganic matter. Consciousness is not some nebulous substance or magical force inherent in life, it is the result of neural activity in specific brain structures. Atoms, molecules, and single-cell organisms do not have brains, and it is simply not possible for them to be conscious.

You have told us what you believe consciousness to be the result of, and what you believe consciousness is NOT , but you have not said what you believe consciousness actually IS.
0 Replies

pararover

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 01:59 am
I believe that consciousness is simply the awareness of one's own existence, and of the choices that one can make.
Because I am unable to express my actual view of consciousness this is the best that I could come up with. Can we debate some more on this?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 11:43 am
pararover wrote:
I believe that consciousness is simply the awareness of one's own existence, and of the choices that one can make.
Because I am unable to express my actual view of consciousness this is the best that I could come up with. Can we debate some more on this?

Sure ... business has been a little slow of late.

quoting myself as this was from another thread.

Quote:
Life is consciousness only at the level you are conscious of being conscious of ... above or below lies spirit .....
When you are conscious of several levels of consciousness simultaneously, you are conscious of the fact of your own life.

When you are conscious of the fact of your own life you become conscious of the consciousness of those that surround you ..... you are on the threshold of enlightenment

Being is the awareness that all consciousness is shared ... even on death's plateau
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 12:20 pm
Way back in the thread someone said that the yolk was the living thing inside a bird's egg. Is that so? I thought the yolk was there for the same reason we want to crack eggs. Food. Food for the little seed growing inside the egg. Have you never opened an egg and found a tiny bloody speck in it? That's the thing that becomes the chicken.

But in a way, all the food we eat is alive. We can only consume organic materials, and they can only be grown. I think we all agree that anything that grows is alive.. (?)

So all in all, maybe the best definition of life is 'deathbringer', since that is what all living things must do to stay alive. They must end other processes of biological life.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 12:40 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Way back in the thread someone said that the yolk was the living thing inside a bird's egg. Is that so? I thought the yolk was there for the same reason we want to crack eggs. Food. Food for the little seed growing inside the egg. Have you never opened an egg and found a tiny bloody speck in it? That's the thing that becomes the chicken.

But in a way, all the food we eat is alive. We can only consume organic materials, and they can only be grown. I think we all agree that anything that grows is alive.. (?)

So all in all, maybe the best definition of life is 'deathbringer', since that is what all living things must do to stay alive. They must end other processes of biological life.

You obviously are not aware of what the white stuff in chicken poop actually is.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 01:08 pm
Don't be fooled. The white stuff is shait too.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 02:41 pm
Gels, It's because you're opening a can of almonds. Wink
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 02:57 pm
Cyracuz wrote:

No.
The yolk becomes the chicken. The white is the food for the chicken-fetus
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 06:07 pm
No dok, that's not so.

From wikipedia:

An egg yolk is the part of an egg which serves as the food source for the developing embryo inside. The yolk together with the germinal disc is a single cell. The egg yolk is suspended in the egg white (known more formally as albumen or ovalbumin) by one or two spiral bands of tissue called the chalazae.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yolk
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 04:46 am
pararover wrote:

So does someone possess 'consciousness' when they are:

a) asleep

b) rendered 'unconscious', i.e. fainting, passing out due to sickness, blackouts due to alcohol/drugs, being 'knocked unconscious' by a blow to the head or other trauma

c) in a coma

Is a person in any of these circumstances 'aware of their own existence' or 'aware of the choices they can make'?

If they are deemed to 'lack consciousness' due to one of these causes, are they 'not a human being' at this point (for some would make 'consciousness' or 'self awareness' a requirement for qualifying as a living human being)?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 06:43 am
pararover wrote:

That definition negates the possibility that animals have consciousness. Even the ant tries to flee when someone means it harm. This bears witness of self awareness, if only instinctive awareness.

And I'm pretty sure we can say that dogs have consciousness even though they are not aware of the choices they may make.

Some animals can recognize their own faces in mirrors.

So while I think the beginning is good with... 'consciousness is simply the awareness of one's own existence' ...I think the rest of is irrelevant in determining consciousness.
0 Replies