Now I've heard everything - "Food Insecurity"

snood

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 07:09 pm
A key government report on malnourishment has just eliminated the word "hunger" to describe a chronic condition afflicting 11 percent of American households. People without enough money to buy food, families in which parents skip meals so children can eat, and seniors who must choose between dinner and life-saving drugs are now grotesquely categorized as having "very low food security."

http://www.the-signal.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=34576&format=html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 664 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 07:11 pm
I have gone through brief but agonizing periods of pussy insecurity in my life and I imagine food insecurity is even more annoying.....
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 07:19 pm
I worked my regular job then ran off to Harvard to hear Marina Warner then ran back to work because there were parent-teacher conferences.

Driving down Mass Ave back to the high school, I followed a car with a bumper sticker that read, "Our leaders are turning us against each other."

A teacher at my school thinks that geography is no longer part of the school curriculum because publishers -- run by multinationals which include big oil and big agriculture -- don't want people to know geography.

I think the sort of linguistic shenanigans you describe here are part and parcel of the things I cited above: divide and conquer but keep people ignorant.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 07:37 pm
I think if the division and subjugation is happening as you say, its not the result of any dread plan. But I don't doubt that the bumbling attempts to whitewash simple facts like human hunger in the US might unwittingly have effects like you describe.
0 Replies